Screwfix or Toolstation searches, missing the paper catalogues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really miss the Screwfix and Toolstation catalogues. I am experienced DIYer. when I wanted to do plumbing electrical work or whatever I would browse the appropriate sections of the catalogue, turning pages to look at what was available and what’s best to buy for what I wanted to do. I could quickly browse hundreds of products, till I eventually selected what was best, or what bits I could assemble to do the job in the best way possible. Often I did not know what was available. Now you have to know what you want and put in a search .. often showing products that you are not interested in. Try searching for ”lighting junction box”. Or 6A junction box.

I’m finding it very hard to select products. Perhaps its because I have not put in the hours I need to understand the searching ”quirks”. Often I am looking for the best product that suits the criteria important.

So the question is …. How are you finding what you want easily, or do you find it takes far longer online, than using a catalogue. If You are a professional you are likely to know the product ranges and know what you want.

how do you feel?

Sponsored Links
I don’t mind using their online sites, can usually find what I want using the filters. Try using an app (that’s what I have to use for work) that’s not got a filter on it typing in one thing and it brings back 129 items!

how do you feel?
I feel that I used to have to hide the catalogue's from myself. I feel that I used to look at the products & think about where I could use something like that . . . . . I used to end up buying things I didn't need to do jobs that didn't need doing, which then created a viscious circle of maintenance.

The characters that created the success & growth of both Screwfix & Toolstation are 'business genius's' with their feet firmly on the sturdy footings of reality, they know not only how to sell but how to administer. The catalogue's were very expensive to produce & distribute but they were mostly what the business revolved around & generated the revenue at that time. Sadly, the t'internets now makes them obsolete. The cost/benefits equation has tipped over to make it worthwhile to scrap the catalogues & focus solely on the internettys.

If you can't adapt & handle the new order of things then the future looks bleak.

Sponsored Links
Haven't used the paper catalogue for a long time but I have a much better idea these days of what to search for. I suspect there is product placement on search returns because there is often a wider range of options for an item than is returned by a specific form of words. That may be user ignorance but I have found searching on google for screwfix plus the item is sometimes more helpful than entering a term in the screwfix own search bar.

Blup

Just had new 1 delivered from toolstation. Much easier to use a catalogue than search if you are not sure how a tool or an item is "officially named"

Hardly use screwfix now because their system is not used friendly. As blup says it's easier to find on Google than on screwfix own site

I feel that I used to have to hide the catalogue's from myself. I feel that I used to look at the products & think about where I could use something like that . . . . . I used to end up buying things I didn't need to do jobs that didn't need doing, which then created a viscious circle of maintenance.
Same here :ROFLMAO:
toolstation still doing catalogues got them in my local one
Yes, seen them a few days ago in Toolstation.

The catalogue's were very expensive to produce & distribute but they were mostly what the business revolved around & generated the revenue at that time
Similarly, with Argos.
It seems an obvious cost cutting benefit to halt the production of the catalogues, but you get a feeling they have lost their raison d'etre.

I don't find it nearly as easy to compare and contrast products on their online store.
...and browsing the catalogue was an easy way to keep on top of tech trends and even learn stuff!

I think I would prefer an online catalogue, formatted in a similar way to a paper catalogue - but this is also a costly thing to produce, especially if you are not also creating a print version.

As with the Maplin catalogue, they were more than just a means of selecting an item to buy, and I for one miss that.

I don't mind searching online first, completing my order and opting for click & collect. With Screwfix, you enter your order number on a screen when entering the store and wait for them to come with your item/s. I was there yesterday and the girl said 'do you have the app?' I said 'no' and she said 'it's even quicker with the app, you can enter your order number before entering the store e.g. in the car park, and by the time you come in you'll have less time to wait.'

Funnily enough I've just been to McDonald's drive-thru. All I heard at first (bad sound quality) was 'warble warble' however after asking her to repeat herself a couple of times I realised she was asking me 'did you order via the app today?'

Apps apps everywhere ... :)

i used to look forward to the RS catalogue coming into the electrioics la as a youth , always a good read to see the latest items
But just use a google search and then look at screwfix/toolstaion

i had the catalogues - but rarely used to be honest , as a diyer, but i can see why they are missed

i have the app, but i dont find that very good so stop using it

Toolstation every time due to the Blue Light and Forces Veteran discounts offered. :cool:

Toolstation still have paper catalogue.
Not sure Screwfix do?
Screwfix really pushing app but no item share is a pain.
Toolstation give me goods without a word spoken but a smile. They know me.
Screwfix is totally different. Got to type numbers in machine or verify yourself. They are so different. Be lost without them though

Sponsored Links
Back