screwfix

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: Will I thought you`d have a piccy for that one ;)

went into enfield screwfix yesterday with me mate. made a short list out,
went to counter. woman says "aint got these" .... aint got what i says..... "these fings" she says turning her computer screen round so i can see it.
"you mean you aint got a box of inch and a quarter 8's" i says.

BLANK LOOK.
so i changed it to inch and a half and had to look it up for her so she could put the numbers in....

at collection point, gave me all 32 mm waste bends instead of 40mm waste, gave me a rad valve instead of a stopcock... made me queue up again....

3 hours wasted, got outside and said to me mate "I TOLD YOU SO"
back to wickes.

I've found out today I need some M12 resin bolts for a job tomorrow. Where else would I get these on a sunday?

I've used screwfix for years, and am quite happy with them. I use them mail order, and the trade counter in Bradford.

Sponsored Links
Here's a tip:
For some perverse reason, they have a different set of product numbers on the catalog, compared to the internet.
A good idea is to get the numbers from the internet before you go to the counter --- a friend of mine found everything in stock when using internet numbers instead of the catalog.

Worth a shot I guess

I ALWAYS FIND THE STAFF POLITE AND HELPFUL . CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY "PROFESSIONAL" TRADESMEN NEED ADVICE DOESNT FILL ME WITH CONFIDENCE! WOULD YOU GO INTO ARGOS AND EXPECT STAFF TO HAVE DETAILED KNOWLEDGE OF ALL THEIR PRODUCTS! HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN SAY THEY ARE TRAINED IN ALL THE TRADES REQUIRED TO GIVE ADVICE TO EVERYONE ! :

Please read the forum rules

RF Lighting said:
I've used screwfix for years, and am quite happy with them.

Mee too. In fact, I've built up quite a good relationship with the folks in Birkenhead. I use Chster more now though and they're not as cheerful or efficient but they still do what they're supposed to.

I find the pencils great too. A normal long pencil won't stay behind my ear but the short Screwfix ones are perfect. Like a little cheapskate I always walk in, stick one behind my ear and pick another up to fill in my order. That then goes in my pocket when I've written my order out and off I pop with two pencils and my purchases.

regards

Fred

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY "PROFESSIONAL" TRADESMEN NEED ADVICE

what on earth are you talking about chris1016, nobody has asked for advice except a diy er who asked for an alternative, read the thread, not the last couple of posts.
Screwfix are a massive company, they sell on promises, and they say if its in the book, its on their shelves, this is a false promise. i have never been up to screwfix and got everything ive asked for, im not talking about rare stuff. im talking about basic stuff for an electrician/plumber.
i dont expect the staff to be able to converse with a tradesmen, but i do expect them to know what a screw is (see my last post), i also expect them to hand me the stuff i ordered, and not what they think ive ordered.
it proves the staff have had no basic training in any form, except on taking money and a practised blank look.
i will say that i can only talk about my local enfield screwfix, i am sure there are better run trade counters about. generally i find the service better, the further you get away from city, im not sure but i guess its because people dont flit in and out of these low paid jobs so much. its only an assumption but speak as you find.
i could put up with staff who look like they been let out for the day, but the disappointment of finding things out of stock that you could get in your local woolworths is hard to take, and negates the savings made.

as i said before you seem to think you can go into a retail outlet and speak to staff like they are sub human and still be treated like royalty! ofcourse stock runs low but you can order goods under £45 to be delivered to the trade counter next day for free. i suspect a lot of the problems are caused by lack of planning ,going to purchase goods 20 mins before you start a job rather than thinking ahead! i go to rotherham counter at least 4 times a week the staff are an asset to the company pleasant,helpful and go out of their way to make sure out of stock items are available to collect the next day even phoning me when my order is ready to collect. maybe the real problem is miserable southerners! lighten your attitude and i bet you see a difference

jumbo55 said:
they advertise that everything in the book is stocked,

Actually, they advertise that they have over 10,000 lines ex-stock. That doesn't mean that they have everything in stock at the counter... it means that they can deliver.

I must say that the last few occasions I've been in there have been guys there to pick up stuff but "the order got sent in late and it won't be here until tomorrow"

best scenario has to be the guy that walks up to the counter in a busy period and says "are these suitable ror..." or "can I have 3 of these please" - holding something caked in paint and mangled.

actually im not a southerner, im a northerner working down south, i advised you to read the whole of the thread, you havent or you would have seen your points have been taken up. i guarantee your work is shoddy because you dont work in a methodical way, read the thread and make a comment. theres a difference between having a laugh and joke and being downright rude chris.
i have never been rude to the staff in screwfix, i dont blame them, i blame screwfix. i give a good service and go the extra mile for my customers, thats why they come back. i also expect to receive a good service, i dont at this particular trade counter, should i keep quite about it, i dont think so, let the world know and perhaps the standards of service will be improved, your point chris about planning has already been taken up in a previous answer at the beginning of this thread. rotherham may be good, but enfield my local one is poor.

CHRIS1016 said:
dont throw your toys out of your pram! whats wrong dont like a different opinion !

i havent thrown any toys out of my pram, just seems strange that you wade in on your first post casting opinions about peoples professionalism and southerners. I dont mind differing opinions at all, just once that cast sweeping judgements on everyone.

Sponsored Links
Back