Is Screwfix a disaster?

Scewfix are owned by the company that own B&Q.

Sponsored Links
Tool station is much better. We're lucky to have a branch in Bristol. They employ Polish girls on the counter, and their customer service is very good. The Polish girls also have a better command of the English language than the home-grown spotty teenagers that usually loiter on trade counters, offering service with a snarl.

Bought some chrome shower downlights in Tool station for £3.60 each, really good quality. The same ones in Screwfix are £14 each!!!

http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=58458

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48434...10-GZ10-Cast-Showerlight-Polished-Chrome-IP65

I rest my case!

Sponsored Links
Must say I speak as I find but I am not a professional tradesperson just a regular DIYer.

Been using Screwfix since they started. Only ever had a couple of problems with late deliveries and both times they sent me a £10 voucher for my troubles. Never had any problems with their stuff but....

Screwfix are like any other retailer. Some of their stuff can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Some of their stuff is low-end spec. You get what you pay for!

I tend to buy either stuff I've used before or branded products from manufacturers I 'trust'.

I don't just use Screwfix but also use various other online retailers such as BES [which I've found to be excellent] as well as other power tool and hardware suppliers.

I tend to price up items [especially if they are more expensive tools and the like] before buying. I think that's what most of us do in any High Street environment anyway. Except in dire emergencies, a bit of time spent comparing prices comes up trumps.

However, I do appreciate that the professionals on here won't always have the time to do so. I also make clear that I have only once used the trade counter [I always order online] and they didn't have the item I wanted. That being said, the person behind the counter gave me an apology and a reference stating if I ordered it in or online I would get a discount for the hassle.

Maybe I've just been lucky but, as I said, I have to speak as I find.

Belboz wrote
Maybe I've just been lucky but, as I said, I have to speak as I find.

No your right, it's just that on this site you have a lot of moaning plumbers and leckies who never make mistakes.
So because they have one bad experience they tar all employees of that company with the same brush.
Just imagine if we all adopted the same attitude and called all plumbers and leckies the same because of the bad ones amongst them, and believe you me there are a lot of them. bad ones I mean, :mad: :mad:

Just a postscript to this (I hope no one minds me resurrecting an old thread).

Going through my files I discovered the reason my card was refused and the transaction declined: the sales assistant had keyed in a debit of £42,328.95, which is slightly above my credit limit.

I had to go into the same branch of Screwfix today, and told the counter staff (who were vastly amused).

Apparently the poor young lad who served me has been sacked for incompetence. It's not his fault that under New Labour education standards have been rising year on year; he must have been too young to vote at the last election.

Oh, it's all sh*te all I can do is complain most strongly about everything. :LOL:

In Argos's defence regarding the reservation error, they have procedures in place to ensure a reserved item does not go out of stock.

When you reserve, either on the phone or net, the warehouse picking slip printer in the store prints a little reservation slip for each product you wish to reserve. On this is printed the number that there should be on the shelf. The store staff then go to the product, count them, and if its right, they throw the slip away. If its wrong, they write it on and pass it to a manager. The reservation is only held electronically, the tills prevent the item being sold.

screwfix has got me out of trouble a few times as my local one is open till 8 which is handy. there not too bad on prices, the only thing is i wish you could phone to check if they have items in stock

I find Screwfix to be excellent. My local counter has very good stock levels, and most of the time if they havent got it will get it to you next day. I always however always take the catalogue with me to the counter should the need arise to alter any product choices, save rejoining the queue! :D

I was at Screwfix a few weeks back and the guy in front in the queue was the one we all hate - not grasped the concept that the catalogue is browsed, order written down, given to till person, goods come from warehouse.

No. he thought he could ask the till person all sorts of DIY questions and "do you sell ..." inquires, while the whole world just waits behind him :evil:

Anyway, he wanted a timber weatherboard for the bottom of a door. The till guy politely pointed him to a catalogue and page number.

While waiting for my stuff, I thought I'd help and referred him to the solitary metal one stocked by screwfix.

His response was, "Thanks, I saw that one but wanted a wooden one ..... Its a bluddy disgrace, this shop is useless they never have anything I need"

I just thought, oh why do I bother.

If he was not such a dick-head, I would have taken him next door to a trade only merchant and he could have got one on my trade account :rolleyes:

I am curious why anyone uses screwfix anymore ?

It used to be the case that you could rely on speedy delivery and everthing would be really cheap.

But not any more, you can guarantee that toolstation are miles cheaper and even B&Q are cheaper in a lot of cases despite being the same company. A case in point I bought the sack truck (Screwfix 91404) at B&Q for £12. I also bought some roof window flashing kits £35 in B&Q a whopping £53 in Screwfix.

Here in Oxford Screwfix and Toolstation are on the same estate, so I buy everything from Toolstation now and then second choice is B&Q. Only ever go to Screfix now as a last resort.

I'm surprised people are still buying from Screwfix to be honest. As going digital says above, i use Toolstation instead now. Toolstation.com was set up by the people who set up screwfix and sold it for some ridiculous figure to (as someone correctly posted) the same people who own B&Q. Then took the money and set up Toolstation.com. I've never had any problems with out of stock products and only ever had one damaged/faulty item which they sent out a replacement for straight away rather than waiting until they got the faulty one back, the prices are generally cheaper than screwfix and you only have to spend £10 (inc vat) for free next day delivery which nearly always arrives with me before lunch the following day.

I don't know how their stuff stands up quality wise for the proffesional tradesman but for a mere DIYer i've never had a problem!

Sponsored Links
Back