Screwfix blaggers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Refuse to give any personal details at the Screwfix counter. They will claim it's necessary for the sale to go through.It's not.
They will blag and sometimes fetch the "manager" ( some mutt from the backroom)- tremble, tremble. Keep refusing and the sale will still go through.

Give your details to them, and it's possible that electronic seconds later they will have been sold to a third party. We have no knowledge of which criminals in Russia or China might have obtained our personal details through a third party.

As we know, some of these these big companies are at it, collecting, profiling and selling on all personal details to whoever has the price.

Dont give them out - imagine MacDonalds asking for personal details from every customer!

Sponsored Links
If I lose my receipts I can call customer services and get replacements posted out to me for taxes, insurance or warrantys. The russians and chinese already have our details from when you entered competitions as a kid.

Sponsored Links
Refuse to give any personal details at the Screwfix counter. They will claim it's necessary for the sale to go through.It's not.
They will blag and sometimes fetch the "manager" ( some mutt from the backroom)- tremble, tremble.

Rather than acting the big man with an unfortunate, minimum-wage, 17 year old counter slave - why don't you do what other people do and give false details.

Surely you have the imagination to do this. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My point is dont give up any more ground to the data collectors - yeah, they've been at it forever, but they obviously dont have everything or they wouldn't demand more.
For those that are happy with such arrangements, great.

Whitespirit66, The attempts at bullying come from their side of the counter - yesterday three adult guys and the "manager" tried to embarrass me into doing what they wanted. I'm not a "big man", i'm my own man. Why should i lie.

The "tremble tremble" was self-deprecating, as in "Oh, here comes the manager, now i'm in trouble".

Where the "17 year old" came from is a bit of a mystery, perhaps you imagined him?

The kids are out, but when they return i'll ask them what your little icon/funny faces mean.

Thank you for your post.

Give your details to them, and it's possible that electronic seconds later they will have been sold to a third party.
Possible, but you are talking about your name and address - information which is already available from many other sources.

What exactly do you expect criminals would do with your name and address?

flameport, thank you for your interest in my post,

Name and address tied- in with a buying pattern, and possible card/check details further tied-in with associated companies who hold other personal details.

Surely, after 30 - 40 years ( a history ) of public warnings, and high profile cases of personal details misuse you dont in all seriousness have to ask such a question? Perhaps you trust the commercial world? If so, then good luck.

after checking my experian report, it seems that whoever is awfully good at finding things about me, even addresses which i know 100% that i never wrote down or told anyone, due to the fact that i was not supposed to be living there...

Indeed - I find a trip to the local cemetery very useful for names - preferably ones who deceased pre 1900 :mrgreen:

Nige - just make sure you don't chose names like these, or you may get some strange looks.

Saw them in a cemetery in the Vysherad area of Prague last month.
Somehow, it seemd like a good pairing for two people with names like these.

Know I shouldn't laugh really. :oops:

when i shop in their branches,i fill in the order slip and write in clear writing my customer number in the correct box but the sales assistants always ask for my post code and name.

I explain i am a valued customer of over 15 years. then the penny drops and they see i have enclosed my customer number,they never apologise or admit they were wrong so i dont shop there any more.

better deals available in other shops,better stock levels as well.

they will use the 'branch' account if you ask them to.

Does that mean that you have all been lucky enough to actually reach the counter. I was thinking of starting a B&B next to my local branch or maybe a camping shop. The only thing they ever talk about in my branch is who's turn it is to go to lunch.

Sponsored Links
Back