Is Screwfix a disaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing a couple of cans of expanding foam in a hurry, I went into my local Screwfix this afternoon.

Took my order form to the counter: that foam was out of stock.

Went back to the catalogue, found a different brand of foam, joined the end of the queue; arrived at the counter again to discover that they had only one can in stock. Reluctantly agreed to buy the one can.

Went to the other end of the counter to wait for the order to be picked. Young man came out and tried to explain (in broken English) that the nozzle was missing. I told him it would be useless without the nozzle and asked him to go back and look. After a while he re-emerged to say he still couldn't find it. His manager sent him back to look again, with the same result.

Asked for a refund on the can, then went back to the catalogue to find a third brand. Rejoined the queue, arrived at the counter; learned that brand three was out of stock.

Went back to the catalogue to find brand four. Took my order form to the counter. At last: two cans in stock, and they had the appropriate nozzles hanging off the lids.

Asked them to refund my card for the single can without nozzle, and charge me for the two I was buying. Slight sinking feeling when the manager predicted that the sale terminal was about to go wrong. Cheered up when the sales assistant assured him it wouldn't. Bit lip when it did indeed go wrong. Waited to move to a terminal that would work.

Entered PIN code to pay for the foam. Despite plenty of credit, and correct PIN code, transaction was voided. Sales assistant tore the papers out of the machine, ripped them up and threw them in the bin.

'Shouldn't you give me my copy, if the transaction's been cancelled?' 'No need.' 'But I'd like you to give me my copy.' Sales assistant hunts through the bin for the bits of paper, smooths them out and tries to staple them together.

Then, at last, I paid for my purchase and went home the happy owner of two cans of No Nonsense expanding foam.

I think I'll go back to ordering on line.

Sponsored Links
I have heared numerous stories of small delicate items arriving crushed due to a combination of heavy items in the order and poor packing. I guess it is cheaper for them to use cheap labour and take the losses than to pay for competant staff.

Always the same with Screwfix, I'd say that on an average order about 10% of items are out of stock. When things are in stock, they only seem to hold one or two. Not impressed.

Sponsored Links
I've used them for years, and they are no worse that most wholeslers IMO.

The trade counters do seem to have a few issues with stock levels, but I don't think they have been around too long (they havent round here)

I use the trade counters if I need something there and then, if not I buy online, which hasn't had an item out of stock for an awful long time.

could have been worst , if you were at plumbcentre they would not have givin you your dosh back, :( i know as the bas### did it to me :p

There are 4 stages of career type at McDonalds.

1. Cleaning and mopping.

2. After a year you get promoted to fries, this means pressing the button and doing the salt.

3. After 2 years you can make burgers including the drinks and using the ice cube machine.

4. After 3 years you get promoted to work at Screwfix :cool:

could have been worst , if you were at plumbcentre they would not have givin you your dosh back, :( i know as the bas### did it to me :p
Did you have to explain to them what a bottle trap is for a kitchen sink? :eek:

Most of the kids at McDonalds are part time whilst studying for degrees.
One of my relatives worked there for a couple of years, now she has a budget of millions dishing out work to various builders, plumbers ,electricians etc
Next time you go there be careful what you say, that person may in the future be in a position to make you or break you. ;) ;)

ive had the same sort of problem when i bought some safty shoes,3 types all sold out,they didnt like it when i said i wanted to try them on before buying.
why dont they have similar system like they do at argos that way you can check without standing there like a lemon for ages.

In the trade counters, they should really have some of those stock checking keypads things like Argos have.

Also, they should have several automated order machines, again like Argos.

And finally a reserve and collect and a reserve pay and collect, again like Argos

And for the ultimate convenience, a BIG sign above the tills that says

"We are not a bluudy shop, we don't know if the screw you want will fit your door at home and you cant just have a look to check, because then you will hold up all the people behind you with your inane questions. Please just order and clear off" :evil:

But on a different side of screw fix, my son purchased a ryobi drill after 5 months one of the batteries would not charge.he phoned them up next thing he received an E mail giving dispatch details of a new drill and asking him to package the old one up and it would be collected, all free of charge. a whole new drill batteries the set.

unlike machine mart we was desperate for a core drill one day so picked one up from machine mart nearest place to where the job was. it decided to, not do what it said on the tin after a few months. so took it back still waiting 6 weeks later reply from machine mart they are waiting for spares. screw fix for me next time.

I must say Machine Mart have been very good to me on two occasions when I've had to return things with problems that were, ahem, my own fault. Both times they have given me no-quibble replacements.

And I've mostly been happy with Screwfix, too; it's just that I suspect their stock control, and staff training, may not be uniformly good. And not being able to know what's really available when you go into a trade counter is not acceptable.

In the trade counters, they should really have some of those stock checking keypads things like Argos have.

Also, they should have several automated order machines, again like Argos.

And finally a reserve and collect and a reserve pay and collect, again like Argos

And for the ultimate convenience, a BIG sign above the tills that says

"We are not a bluudy shop, we don't know if the screw you want will fit your door at home and you cant just have a look to check, because then you will hold up all the people behind you with your inane questions. Please just order and clear off" :evil:

Don't get me started on Argos*
I once got something reserved for collection, as it was a leaving pressie for someone who was leaving that day. Went a few hours later to find it was out of stock!

* - it looks like you did.

Sponsored Links
Back