scribing ogee and taurus!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

would it be easier than mitreing bearing in mind the amount of curves on said skirting board? if so what equipment will i need?

have considred doing internals with a mitre saw but the skirting is 7 ins high and it would be expensive to buy/hire a saw big enough to do the job!

anyone with any advice will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
just about all the pro's on this forum will tell you that scribing internal skirting joints is standard practice.

if you back peddle on this forum topic you will find some useful info on the subject. you may have to go back to mid last year or so. ignore joe-90's comments though. ;)

Cut a internal mitre through the mould, run the edge of a pencil over the outline you are left with.
That should be the shape you need to cut for the scribe - just cut the flat part through

Sponsored Links
Thaks for that noseall

thats one heck of a thread, informative and entertaining :)

however i did notice that the op's skirting looked quite a straight forward shape to deal with, so will the same rules apply to ogee and taurus then? bearing in mind all the curves on it!

hdj said:
Cut a internal mitre through the mould, run the edge of a pencil over the outline you are left with.
That should be the shape you need to cut for the scribe - just cut the flat part through

thats the bit i'm not too sure about hdj!

why do i need to cut out a mitre for the scribe? would i get the same result if i just put the square grain end at a 90 degree angle against the bit i wish to cut and just draw around it like that?

jonesie said:
hdj said:

thats the bit i'm not too sure about hdj!

why do i need to cut out a mitre for the scribe? would i get the same result if i just put the square grain end at a 90 degree angle against the bit i wish to cut and just draw around it like that?

cos its a very easy way of doing it!

soaringjock said:
come out biggsy,we can see you hiding under the bed. :LOL:

:confused: Biggsy?

Cheers for the advice guys, sussed it out eventually when i realised you had to draw the impression on the reverse flat side of the board! :oops:

first couple of attempts were bit dodgy but managed to get them to fit with a bit of chiselling

thanks again, great site and advice

i forgot how interesting old posts can be :D :D :D :D

and you need to copy the the line on the "front" where your 45% angle intesects the face not the back jonesie :D :D :D ;)

big-all said:
and you need to copy the the line on the "front" where your 45% angle intesects the face not the back jonesie

Cheers big-all, but got it all done now,

I tried doing it both ways and seemed to get better results drawing the line and cutting on the reverse side! with it being O and T i found drawing on the front awkward due to the curves

by the way, whats the best solution to getting a skirting board level to a not very square wall, other than cutting the board and having an unsightly join?

jonesie said:
big-all said:
and you need to copy the the line on the "front" where your 45% angle intesects the face not the back jonesie

I tried doing it both ways and seemed to get better results drawing the line and cutting on the reverse side! with it being O and T i found drawing on the front awkward due to the curves

by the way, whats the best solution to getting a skirting board level to a not very square wall, other than cutting the board and having an unsightly join?

the point is if you cut at 45% you dont have to copy as you have the line of cut already revealed where the 45 and flat face intersect the pencil line is just highlighting whats there

in other words if you shade the wood thats just been cut then remove it thats your scribe

big-all said:
jonesie said:
big-all said:

the point is if you cut at 45% you dont have to copy as you have the line of cut already revealed where the 45 and flat face intersect the pencil line is just highlighting whats there

in other words if you shade the wood thats just been cut then remove it thats your scribe

A HAAAA .... now i get it, you have just made clear (to me anyway) what all the other posts and the above golden oldie thread somehow did not :oops:
cheers mate, will know now for my next job

any ideas on the out of square wall though?

thats why you undercut so its only the face edge is fully in touch and what is behind is at a slight angle [around 5%] so you only have to remove the touching front edge

clear as mud eeehhhh :D :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back