Shared cocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi. I don't have a water meter (I'm not sure why) but I know my neighbour does. Neighbour had a burst pipe under his drive yesterday, he's digging up his gravel drive as we speak to repair the leak on the lead pipe. The thing is, when he turns his stopcock off my water is turned off too.

I'm not bothered about the water being turned off but I'm wondering what if his meter is clocking up my usage too? Not fair on him if it is, especially as I water my lawn like there is no tomorrow during the summer months.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I think you answered your own question. If he turns off his supply and yours shuts down too then you're on a shared main, if the meter is at that point on the mains then it will probably be metering your usage too.

If the meter is in the ground then you probably are both off it . Do a check when the burst is repaired. One for the water co. to sort out and maybe give you both a new service pipe FOC in place of the lead. But you need to make sure you exercise your right to not have a meter;)

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you mean the stop tap in the road? If so, me and two of my neighbours have the same thing. But this is very common. We share one mains stop tap.
The water meter will measure the water he consumes, once it T's off into his property, therefore seperating it from yours.

By 2020 we will all have meters.

Andy

They'll have fun in my old house.
Easter main goes up the path at the end of the row, then across the back gardens of 5 houses (ours was the second).

Lead main then enters the corner of each kitchen and buried in the units.

Water board wanted to fit one in ours. Told them to negotiate with SWMBO over how they were going to chop into the kitchen units.

They didn't last long.

Think it went a similar way with the new owners :LOL:

Can't imagine it being any different for the other houses as they're all mirror images of the next.

I was talking to some 'water boys' (no not the 80's pop group) who were fitting meters in a road in Chingford E4 who said that is all they are doing. Just fitting meters to every house and by 2020 every house will have one.

Andy

Anglian Water were keen for everyone in north Bedfordshire to have a meter fitted, but then changed policy when they found the income from many houses was smaller after the meter was fitted than it had been the income was based on rateable value of the house.

I only had a meter fitted, because of the rateable value of my property, I did try to get the rateable value reduced, prior to having a meter.
I'm with Anglian & have two years to change my mind, nearly had one year & have saved about £80.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back