Shared cocks

OP, so how are you billed for water? is it a fixed charge or do they charge you by usage (metered supply) even though you may not know if you have a meter somewhere where they take the readings from.

I have a mate who lives in the same street as me, he asked me what i pay for my water charges, and I said mine is £360.00 per year based on rateable value, his eyes almost popped out, when he showed me his bill almost double at £640.00, and we both got identical houses and so I promised to look into this for him, I phoned Thames Water and they said they cannot do anything about it as the rateable value was set back in the 90s, and why this property was rated well above others in my street I have no idea, however it so transpires that before my mate bought that property it was converted into two flats, but before he bought it, the owner returned it into 3bedroom property, so i mentioned this to them, and then one of the T.W. representative said oh yes we have it as Flat A and Flat B, and gave me rateable value of them both, fortunately i was lucky as they would not normally provide you this information or deny it, but this rep may have slipped up, so she told me the truth, and when i added both Flat A and Flat B rateable value, which equated to the rateable value he was being charged for, they just added both values and started to charge him for two flats for a 3 bedroom house, but they would not readjust it as they said they have no power to do that and the best they can do is fit a meter, and my mate said he doesn't want a meter as he has a lawn and 3 children and use fair amount of water, so I suggested that he can buy a water meter and put one in in his cellar and monitor his usage and if it works out cheaper then ask them to fit you a meter. as far as I know he is still paying double the water charges anyone else pays in my street. Some things are just impossible to deal with.

Sponsored Links
OP, so how are you billed for water? is it a fixed charge or do they charge you by usage (metered supply) even though you may not know if you have a meter somewhere where they take the readings from.

I have a mate who lives in the same street as me, he asked me what i pay for my water charges, and I said mine is £360.00 per year based on rateable value, his eyes almost popped out, when he showed me his bill almost double at £640.00, and we both got identical houses and so I promised to look into this for him, I phoned Thames Water and they said they cannot do anything about it as the rateable value was set back in the 90s, and why this property was rated well above others in my street I have no idea, however it so transpires that before my mate bought that property it was converted into two flats, but before he bought it, the owner returned it into 3bedroom property, so i mentioned this to them, and then one of the T.W. representative said oh yes we have it as Flat A and Flat B, and gave me rateable value of them both, fortunately i was lucky as they would not normally provide you this information or deny it, but this rep may have slipped up, so she told me the truth, and when i added both Flat A and Flat B rateable value, which equated to the rateable value he was being charged for, they just added both values and started to charge him for two flats for a 3 bedroom house, but they would not readjust it as they said they have no power to do that and the best they can do is fit a meter, and my mate said he doesn't want a meter as he has a lawn and 3 children and use fair amount of water, so I suggested that he can buy a water meter and put one in in his cellar and monitor his usage and if it works out cheaper then ask them to fit you a meter. as far as I know he is still paying double the water charges anyone else pays in my street. Some things are just impossible to deal with.

Yes I'm on rateable value too, fixed yearly amount. And it's not much more than what you pay. I know my neighbour is paying double what I'm paying (found this out a week after I started this thread).

My cousin managed to get hers lowered, but she had to go through her MP, before that she was paying arm and a leg for a two bed flat, after adjustment it came to half whet she was being charged. I have no idea how they based these charges on ratable value, the fact is my council tax is the same as that of my mate!

Londoners created pollution and should be punished at every opportunity. They don't give a toot abou anyone but themselves.
High water rates is only the start.
Wait for it.

Sponsored Links
Londoners created pollution and should be punished at every opportunity. They don't give a toot abou anyone but themselves.
High water rates is only the start.
Wait for it.

Being charged to cross an arbitrary line on the map is a bit of a pita. New thing is the additional charge for cars over 10 years old. Makes perfect sense..... Let's pollute the planet some more by throwing away perfectly working machines and building some more.

Being charged to cross an arbitrary line on the map is a bit of a pita. New thing is the additional charge for cars over 10 years old. Makes perfect sense..... Let's pollute the planet some more by throwing away perfectly working machines and building some more.
I had my dpf removed, am I a criminal?

Cheer up Jeff ! London is a great City, one only of its kind in the entire world. Everyone wants to come over to London, no one wants to go to Cheshire!:)

why are you messing about with your dpf filter? its an MOT failure for a start.

Water Meters should be BANNED!

I'm not impressed with the charges they raise; my present property is on a water meter and I'm paying more with that fitted than I ever was on previous house that was on water rates. And that is with watching every drop of water we use. Both houses have the same ratable value...

Cheer up Jeff ! London is a great City, one only of its kind in the entire world. Everyone wants to come over to London, no one wants to go to Cheshire!:)

why are you messing about with your dpf filter? its an MOT failure for a start.
It's not an MOT failiure.
It is removed, emptied and re fitted. Then re mapped.
Had it done as it was blocked and wouldn't regenerate.
As for London they should flatten it and start again.

Water Meters should be BANNED!

I'm not impressed with the charges they raise; my present property is on a water meter and I'm paying more with that fitted than I ever was on previous house that was on water rates. And that is with watching every drop of water we use. Both houses have the same ratable value...
Totally agree with you, up until the whole country is metered, some people shouldn't have to pay more than others, just not fair for some. I know my brother has two young children and they run to toilet every few hours even for a little piddle, and flush the toilet, using like 7 liters of water to dispense that little piddle, now my brother tells them not to flush toilet until they have piddled 3 or 4 times! sounds ridiculous, but I suppose when a huge bill lands, one must make concessions.

It's not an MOT failiure.
It is removed, emptied and re fitted. Then re mapped.
Had it done as it was blocked and wouldn't regenerate.
As for London they should flatten it and start again.
London has already been flattened and rebuild, where have you been all these years? My local brew was knocked down and is now a place of worship! and in 2012, London's scrap heap and disused highly polluted industrial site called Stratford was transformed into a modern, village, supporting thousands of high quality flats once used for Olympic Players, land transformed into a lovely park and landscaped into beautiful gardens, canals cleaned up, International rail terminal, what more do you want? West Ham moved into the Olympics stadium. London's sky line is full if cranes, there is a huge development going on, old houses and factories flattened, new high quality apartments and office blokes mushrooming every where, Seems like you bear a grudge against London, then again why not? at times I feel stressed, but London is London and magical city. I couldn't live in a very quiet city, may be when i retire.

Last edited:
When was the last time you drove through Hackney, property prices are highest among many London Boroughs, must be something to do with Olympics. A really transformed place now.

When was the last time you drove through Hackney, property prices are highest among many London Boroughs, must be something to do with Olympics. A really transformed place now.
Overpriced tenaments then, I worked hackney earl 80s and a stab vest flak jacket, hard hat and hammer was a must. Apc as a vehicle also.
The place stank of dried up p155

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back