Shortages, What Next

Peanut oil is used in submarine galleys as it does not smoke apparently

Sponsored Links
Hi

We went out for a quick breakfast at Morrisons as I wanted a few treats.

My fault, our fault as we were rushing and did not look at prices.

My fav chicken sandwich/burger up from 2 quid to 2-20p. Works of all, they offer 6 quasont at 150p but it is me eating them all so wanted less but went for the 6. At the till up from 1-50p for 6 to 200p for 6.

Filled one of the cars up, almost 145 quid.

inflation is risisng fast.

The shelves were pretty full but they did not have my fav pies in the bakery

Croissant. The word is spelled 'croissant'. Not 'quasont'. It's not even pronounced like that.

Croissant. The word is spelled 'croissant'. Not 'quasont'. It's not even pronounced like that.

Boris say buy value range or unbranded in some stores.

Pensioners on the bus to keep warm. Comment that he said they are lucky to have a bus pass. :eek::rolleyes::?:

Sponsored Links
Boris say buy value range or unbranded in some stores.

I thought it was George Eustace, do you think it's bad advice?

Comment that he said they are lucky to have a bus pass.

I heard the interview, don't recall the word 'lucky' being used. The interview didn't go down that well so I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell lies about the wording he used.

@gone It's just something I heard when I wasn't taking a lot of notice. Boris was mentioned. Presence or absence of lucky wouldn't really matter. The sentiment does.

Inflation is often more % wise on cheaper items. We hear of smaller outfits not passing price increases on but suppose that is not an option for larger ones with shares etc where profit is always seen to need to increase year on year ideally over current inflation levels. Fuel prices cn cause increased costs. I suppose it doesn't really matter if it's 1tonne of crap bready sausage full of bizarre additives or I tonne of finest matured steak.

Last edited:
And Elsie doesn't strike me as the type of pensioner who can only afford 1 meal a day and is forced to spend all day on the bus to keep warm. I'm sure there are such people, and it is tragic, and it shouldn't happen. Elsie strikes me as more of an activist.

Age UK Westminster - The impact of befriending

I'm trying hard to imagine when was the last time the average DiyNot'r travelled by bus.

Brexit to me has one flaw that bugs me - not being able to buy from anywhere I like in the EU and the odd vat rules. It looks like an attempt to prevent that - unless some one spends enough but the sales facility for that in the EU is intended for traders. Not all offer it.

The rest as far as I am concerned - It's a great big wide world out there and I feel a bit of protectionism from a large group of countries is a good idea. We could have dropped down to Norway level and had a seat on the WTO and some flexibility on rules. I saw that as a much safer option if things had to change.

My views are from some one who has always worked in manufacture. I am fully aware of why thing have changed in that area. I'm afraid I can't see Brexit making any difference as the same "problems" still exist. Keeping our employment costs down helps but other countries will also want the same work. The ones with the biggest domestic markets have a habit of winning in the end. The EU is a massive domestic market. It has it's problems but .............................. The other aspect is some UK business really wanting to make use of it. We import a lot of goods. It's easier money. I work in D&D so I know it is. I may need paying for various lengths of time before a product is ready for market. That has to be funded and it's not cheap. D&D is no fun as the stuff has to get to the market. R&D needn't which can work out even more expensive.

We were out for a few bits spending money again in the sunny weather.
We filled one of our cars up the other day spent 145. This car was almost empty and close to 166 quid.
What I have noted at the fuel station near where we live is that there seems to be less people filling up.

My Danish bread was out of stock but we have some on order for delivery Sat.

In my judgement the shortages are going to get worse but will not get worse as expected. The reason for this is staggering inflation
and sky-high fuel prices and food prices along with everything else means about 47% of the population will cut back on many things so more to go around.

One shortage that appears to be easing is that some secondhand car prices are coming off the boil.

One of my children bought a couple of days ago a Porsche Maccan. They'd been looking for a few weeks and there has always been a long W/L
for certain models of this car. The 911 was no longer practical with two kids and weekends away at the beach etc. So the Maccan (9 moths old) is ideal
and feels like a real Porsche they said but much more practical. The price had come off by 3k, a 3k saving not to be sniffed at. They have also sold their Merc E class got a great price for that and buying a c class estate in a couple of months' time.

Reading through motoring mags they chat about the chip shortage for cars lasting up to another year at least. IMO, as interest rates go up people will spend less as I said and possibly why some used car values have gone down,

Can anyone on here confirm the Samaritan's/Humanitarian's "respected poster status"?

Sponsored Links
Back