sign on van?

doesnt make you unprofessional noseall in the least, but its all in the customers perception. If it helps get the job or drums up more enquieries then its got to be a good thing. Then again i suppose a customer could look at a sign written van and think its a big company and that they must be expensive so they will avoid them. Its all a big game!

Sponsored Links
mgheating said:
Just wondering what people's preferences are for having a sign on the side of their van.

The free(ish) advertising is obviously great but i'm just wondering if it makes you more of a target for thieves.

i'm afraid it does attract the undesirable element.
it alsoo makes you a target of other peoples bad driving as they are only too willing to ring you to complain about your driver who was probably just going about minding his own business!

i have actually removed all the signs on my van now having suffered 1 break in, 2 attempted and a few of the "your driver this and your driver that"calls to the company!

Thermo said:
If it helps get the job or drums up more enquieries then its got to be a good thing. Then again i suppose a customer could look at a sign written van and think its a big company and that they must be expensive so they will avoid them. Its all a big game!
;) We have a different experience. People calling up: we've seen one of your vans and would like to make an enquiry.
(We only have one ;))

We have only one van - not something we need - we have it as a marketing thing. Because a lot of our labour is labour only subcontract they have unmarked vans, so we have one of our own to make appearances as required, and for site managers to use to set up /clear sites.
We are of the opinion that on first and last day on site a nicely signwritten new van matching up with the site signs looks professional.

If we as main principal contractors see a smart van with the right info on it we always make a note of the name for future reference. You just need to be careful what you put on there.

Mobile numbers only are a turn off, as are the same number for phone/fax. Separate lines or just a phone land line are preferential for creating the right impression.
A good web address is the most vital info on a van these days. It's easier to remember than a phone number and 99% of potential customers will track you down off it if they need you.

As a customer then I look for age & condition of van [if your van is well looked after it implies you are generally tidy and concientious], company name, credentials [trade associations if applicable] web address, phone number.
Turn offs are mobile numbers [better to have a land line with a divert] old vans, very plain or very naff sign writing or pictures.

Sponsored Links
namsag said:
IF you have to advertise there is something up. Maybe for first 6 months of starting up but anything after this sholud not be needed
So you're willing to pass on a chance sighting? We don't ;)

Must agree there

I think it looks more professional and trustworthy to have a sign written motor

but thats just me

:)

IF you have to advertise there is something up. Maybe for first 6 months of starting up but anything after this sholud not be needed

IF you dont get off your arse and advertise your business then it will never grow and never flourish.

although if you were a tired old man, with arthritic knees, winding down to retirement, you might feel differently.

we (tradesfolk), are all in the advertising business, though not all need to advertise so publicly.

don't forget, word of mouth is still a form of advertising namsag. ;)

creak, creak, groan, puff puff.

Kids of today have no respect

In my day plumbers were huge bearded men who smoked pipes and had arms like hams

Coff

wheres me woodbines

Mines a half of badger brown

;)

Just stumbled across this topic forgot i had posted on it... I suppose for those that have to get customers to phone them purely because of the trade they do a name on the van works.... But i trade on my name and the quality of my work i have been in the job (gas/heating) for 30 years . Set up on my own 6 years ago and have never had to advertise and have never had my name on the van . I have never been short of work and currently booked up till end of november ,all my work is by word of mouth and i answer the phone calls i choose to.. It is accepted i don`t answer my phone but people say they would rather wait and try me again than go elsewhere (all past customers numbers are logged and they are answered)..

As for thermo saying my business will never flourish i really cant cope with it being any busier without the hassle of taking someone on which i never will.. Average wage is just under a grand then there is good weeks like this seventeen hundred quid which i think most people would be very happy with.I work had for my rewards.

Advertise no thanks i prefer to enjoy the work i do without having quote hunters phoning me and wasting my time, 95 percent and above of the work i price i get can those of you who advertise say the same how much of your time is wasted quoting and chasing work.

I am never going to be a millionaire and there is no way i am going to kill myself trying to be

no i take your point and fair dos. Im just basing my comments on feedback we get from customers, but each to their own. what works for one doesnt always work for another.

Agree with yo there thermo , i think this topic was originally in plumbing section before getting moved and my comments where in relation to that trade.

Sponsored Links
Back