Single socket to double AFTER decorating the room!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just sold my body to science to pay for new carpet, furniture, lights etc etc.

Decorated three rooms. Moved furniture out. Lifted old carpet.

Now She Who Must Be Obeyed says she wants a single socket converted to a double. Have done this before, but decorated after. Is there any way I can get away with this without having to redecorate? Wall is covered with wallpaper, and has a coat of white emulsion on top.

How about Stanley knife to cut through paper and plaster? Then scutch chisel, millimetre by millimetre? Will be positioning backplate so that it is centred on old backplate (no need to find extra play in cables).

Whajja thinks? Should I lie down in dark room till idea goes away? Much regards for helps.

Sponsored Links
As the ancients say, to fail to plan means that you'll plan to fail;)

However, you have two options:
Try as you ahve outlined above, but note that you may end up with brick/plaster dust failling down the back of the wallpaper
or
Fit a 1gang to 2 gang converta socket. Thery only come in white, and wont match the other sockets, but hey, maybe that won't matter too much?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/clipsal-converta-socket-1-gang-to-2-gang-polycarbonate/12849

Sponsored Links
Just tell your wife it can't be done! It can be done if you're lucky and careful but getting the metal back box out risks breaking away the plaster

Ah yes, Dave reminds me of the basic problem in your plan. Even if you are careful chipping away, you still have to get the old box out and the new one in. The cables come down into the box through holes in the top or bottom (through the sides too!) so you have to make the hole a good bit bigger so you can angle it to thread the cables.
Converta socket it is then…..

You can collapse the sides of the box inwards first with a hammer and cold chisel but I still wouldn't bet on no plaster damage. Man up and say "no" to your wife and prepare for a cold Xmas........

Oh, very classy Winston. :rolleyes: It will end up looking like this
bunch_adapters_plugs_electrical_socket_bad_electrical_cg6p581041c.jpg

or this..
T6640225-Electrical_fire-SPL.jpg

Certainly can't guarantee no damage.

However, since it's painted wallpaper any repair work may be relatively easy.

Is it embossed paper?

When I have done such a thing I have chain drilled round the edge of the new box position and then applied a bolster.

As said, the biggest problem is all the dust getting behind the wallpaper at the bottom.

Other times I have gently peeled away the wall paper, vacummned it out, made any necessary repairs, then stuck the paper back and painted.

Another problem is if the plaster is crumbly it can cause a bulge, particularly at the bottom, as all the dust accumulates. Sometimes you can place a piece of wood over the bulge and very gently hammer it out.

I take it the wall is brick and plaster?

Have you any spare wallpaper or is it easy to get something similar just in case it goes horribly wrong?

I don't think it should be a massive problem if you are careful and take your time.

In terms of minimal damage, it will be easier to just add another single or double next to the existing socket, as you won't need to remove the old box from the wall.

I have scored through and steamed wallpaper to peel it back from the work area then cut into the wall. The paper can then be stuck back fairly inconspicuously once the new double back box is in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back