Small sized plug socket

Even possibly (would probably require n electrician's confirmation) instead of it.
Good point, replace the FCU with a single socket.

Simon - any chance of a picture of the wiring inside the FCU (the box with the fuse in).

Sponsored Links
Crikes never even thought about modifying the fuse thing.

Could I ask - why would it have one there? We've had an ECB fitted to the house since we moved in, maybe the fuse thing is a reminant of and older setup?

Will try and get some photos of wiring done tomorrow

Thanks again :)

Here's a wider image

I guess an electrician would have a better idea on the logistics of moving it all up - it's not even used that much, partlly because not many things can physically plug into it
Turn the socket upside down.

Sponsored Links
Turn the socket upside down.

I had thought about that - this might be an odd question but is that allowable to do that? Like I know it would be a means to an end but would is be frowned upon?

I stand corrected, they still appear in the MK catalogue. Several local wholesalers told me they were discontinued when I asked for some a few months ago.

I'm not convinced MK are properly updating their catalogues anymore, their website at least seems to have gone to **** since the honeywell takeover.

I found a site I'd never heard of before listing it, but given the number in stock is identical to RS, I suspect they are just a marketplace site pulling from RS.

Rexel list it on their website but no stock/price info without a login. https://www.rexel.co.uk/uki/root-ca...-Gang-Switched-Surface-13A-White/p/2500014910

Rexel price is £27.81+VAT each, and stock availability for delivery is 12+ days, so they don't have any.

Rexel price is £27.81+VAT each, and stock availability for delivery is 12+ days, so they don't have any.
... in which case perhaps they should by one from RS for 'free next day delivery', and still be able to make nearly 100% profit :) ...

upload_2022-3-10_0-17-38.png

Kind Regards, John

I have a small conservatory extension area on my house which has some electrics installed.

There is a double plug socket of which the left side socket has stopped working - in that a plug won't go in anymore.

From looking in places like B&Q, this double socket seems to be some odd quirky small size compaed to what is available now.

It's about 130x60mm

Is this size non existant anymore, meaning I would need a whole new socket installing if I wanted it repaired?

Thanks
Apart from any other considerations, considering that (unlike in many other countries) the standard BS 1363 (Type G) plug is designed to go into such a socket-outlet with its flexible lead "downwards", why would anyone install any socket-outlet pair in such a difficult location ?

I had thought about that - this might be an odd question but is that allowable to do that? Like I know it would be a means to an end but would is be frowned upon?

Does it really matter? It is a quick, simple, no cost solution. Mounting sockets too low and close to a surface is certainly frowned upon, for reasons of potential damage to the flex of the appliance you are plugging in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back