Small sized plug socket

Apart from any other considerations, considering that (unlike in many other countries) the standard BS 1363 (Type G) plug is designed to go into such a socket-outlet with its flexible lead "downwards", why would anyone install any socket-outlet pair in such a difficult location ?

ha I haven’t even discussed the socket that’s on the floor :(

Sponsored Links
That is an MK Minilogic socket.

They had a basic range of smaller surface-mounted accessories: single and double sockets, light switches and from memory they did a phone socket too.

Just spoken to a Tech guy at MK and all that remains in the range are the single and double sockets.

They were developed in the 70s I believe, after the introduction of the new Logic range circa 1974.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I've removed the socket cover to expose the wiring as suggested. It looks like the wiring goes "into" the wall as opposed to up and down.
wiring.jpg
With regard to the fusebox - it looks like wiring taps off from the socket and goes up, via the fuse box, and to a swicth and then a light in on the wall.
light.jpg
As I mentioned, the socket is recessed into the plasterboard and not mounted on top. Swapping it to a more modern socket (sizewise) would make it even more cramped in that space.

I've no idea why they mounted a socket so close to the top of the side, unless the side bit (which is some seating) was built in at a later date

I would suggest the easiest way is to simply move both the twin socket and fused spur (fusebox you call it) up the wall a few inches. Three sets of wires, suggests the socket is on the ring, with a spur to the fused spur.

Sponsored Links
So, the spur is on a spur from the socket to the spur and the spur continues to the switch and light.

Are you sure you can't fix it? Those plates can usually be dissembled. Although there might be lots of bits in it that would fall out on disassembly and turn into a puzzle. If you straighten up the left earth contacts, and give the whole thing a clean with washing up liquid and water, it could be good as new.

Last edited:
I have seen the MK Mini Logic double and single sockets still available to buy very recently in B&Queue, but can't be sure about today.

The style of this stuff, and the square shower pull switches, never really changed since the 70s, even though all the other MK stuff was completely re-designed in the mid 1990s.

These mini sockets were available before the early 70s in a different style.

These mini sockets are to be surface mounted only (not flush) and were primarily intended to go on skirting boards, where space was limited.

These mini sockets were available before the early 70s in a different style.

These mini sockets are to be surface mounted only (not flush) and were primarily intended to go on skirting boards, where space was limited.
These 'mini sockets' as everybody seems to be calling them were originally the normal style, albeit with a slightly different shape.

These 'mini sockets' as everybody seems to be calling them were originally the normal style, albeit with a slightly different shape.
In fact these:
upload_2022-3-19_22-55-52.png

I believe they preceeded the 3½" style we are accustomed to.
However I believe these 13A connectors came first:
upload_2022-3-19_22-59-15.png

I hope you're not going to say anything rude about them - I have at least a couple (probably more) still in service in my house :)

Kind Regards, John
I still have some in use too. Happens to be in a venue I have kit installed in. I imagine I also have some pre-used in stock too.
IMO those are better quality than most of the 13A sockets they've produced since.
I assisted with some work back in the summer. Mid 60's 6 bed semi, hardly had any electrical work done since. They did concede the wooden fuse box with broken lid had outlived its useful life. 2 to 3 of those in each room and several 15A versions of them too.

Yes, I remember that generation of "mini socket".

Now here's why I'm confused.

I thought that the rectangular pin style socket was to BS1363, and part of that standard was that the size of the plates was that which we know today.

Obviously not.

Now here's why I'm confused. ... I thought that the rectangular pin style socket was to BS1363,....
That is also my understanding.
.... and part of that standard was that the size of the plates was that which we know today. ... Obviously not.
For a start, the ('current') version of BS1363-2 that we are used to looking at, although pretty old, only dates from 1995, which is long after the sockets we are talking about were manufactured. The preceding version of BS1363 was BS1363:1984 (still long after those sockets), but I don't know what came before that.

... so what that means is that I personally don't have a clue as to what (if anything) the version of BS1363 contemporary with manufacture of those sockets had to say about plate size - or, come to that, anything about acceptable dimensions.

Kind Regards, John

It was hard going finding it but I think it's BS 4662:1970 Specification for boxes for the enclosure of electrical accessories. The date doesn't make much sense - maybe there was an earlier one. Trying to access the spec on my file server but it's playing up.

That is also my understanding.
For a start, the ('current') version of BS1363-2 that we are used to looking at, although pretty old, only dates from 1995, which is long after the sockets we are talking about were manufactured. The preceding version of BS1363 was BS1363:1984 (still long after those sockets), but I don't know what came before that.
Kind Regards, John
upload_2022-3-20_21-10-11.png

However no citation to back it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back