Smart meters - who knew?

Friends of ours don’t have much money.
They lie about their meter readings , enabling them to even out the summer and winter bills. The important thing is the bill is always paid . Technically they may be behind in the winter but catch up in the summer. Also , off topic but relevant and representative of real people out there, they spread their council tax payments over 12 months instead of 10. Not huge really, just makes it easier for them.
personally I don’t think there’s anything smart about the meters.
Do they not use your electric to power themselves, or is this factored into the tariff?

They are powered from before the meter, so no one pays for it but the supplier. I also spread my gas and electric payments out through the year at the moment - I pay a fixed DD, based on my usual annual consumption of each. I do have smart meters, but they are dumb at the moment.

Sponsored Links
They are powered from before the meter, so no one pays for it but the supplier. I also spread my gas and electric payments out through the year at the moment, no need to fiddle the readings - I pay a fixed DD, based on my usual annual consumption of each. I do have smart meters, but they are dumb at the moment.

Must be the strangest question even for this place:

"Why would I not have a smart meter?"

How about - without them each household wouldn't be being charged £400+ (average)?

Must be the strangest question even for this place:

"Why would I not have a smart meter?"

How about - without them each household wouldn't be being charged £400+ (average)?

Irrespective of dumb or smart - they do charge you for the meter. They call it a standing charge.

Sponsored Links
Second thoughts: not sure that is what the standing charge is for.

It is to cover the cable to your door, some of the infrastructure, the meter and it's eventual replacement. I do agree more has had to be invested though, for the SM roll out.

It is to cover the cable to your door, some of the infrastructure, the meter and it's eventual replacement. I do agree more has had to be invested though, for the SM roll out.
No, it wasn't invested.

It is a government levy on your bills to pay the suppliers to fit them because the government wants them fitted.

yep all these billions spent on smart meters have to be paid for somehow

Sponsored Links
Back