Smoke and CO detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you reckon quite a lot of houses still don't have these? There's another tragic story in the media about a family dying in a house fire. Authorities saying tragic accident. I appreciate even with detectors it might not always be possible to get out in time, however surely in most properties if there are one or two detectors on each level they should alert people in time to get out?

I suppose it leads to a second question, how many houses have them but they're perhaps no longer operational.

I just think it adds to the tragedy to think in some of these cases, a relatively cheap detector could have saved lives.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it leads to a second question,

There is a third question, How many families have a prepared and practised evacuation plan ?

Getting from bed to a safe place outside the house in daylight is simple. It is very difficult in the dark and panic unless practised.

Reminds me- I should test mine.
At present my only test is making a bacon sandwich with the door to the hall open - it never fails

I have two self contained smoke alarms that last for ages and when the battery dies you replace the whole thing. Not very green but tamper/idiot proof.
These days there are those ones that fit between the light fitting and the bulb. Mains powered and a good idea.

There is a third question, How many families have a prepared and practised evacuation plan ?

Getting from bed to a safe place outside the house in daylight is simple. It is very difficult in the dark and panic unless practised.
So that was what you were doing the other day, climbing out of your bedroom window. I had thoughts of impropriety. ;)

Sponsored Links
That's another good service uou get from us plumbers.. we test your smoke alarms when we are soldering.

Unless you a push fit plumber of course.

Are there plumbers who can solder? I thought it was a lost skill.

Housing association landlords have them, think it’s a legal requirement. They’re even interlinked, so if one activates, they all do.

Sponsored Links
Back