Smoking to be banned in 2023

Ban It!

Aunt & Uncle both smoked all their lives - didn't have any affect on them but their daughter has suffered badly from their smoking. I'm sad to say she has had 3 treatments for cancer all attributed to her parents smoking.

Both of my parents smoked, I smoked, but stopped several years ago, back then smoking was the norm. It made no difference to them or me so far, I am glad I stopped, not least because of the spiralling cost and the damage to indoor decoration, but do think it ought to be a personal choice rather than imposed.

Sponsored Links
My apologies, I wasn't pointing any fingers.

Many many years ago, I smoked at least 20 Bensons a day, at nearly £14 a pack, that would be at least £5000 a year...:eek::eek:

So glad I managed to quit.
they weren’t £14 a pack many many years ago.

Sponsored Links
The French still have a laissez-faire attitude to the noble leaf and smoking in public doesn't cause the same kind of think-of-the-children consternation it does here: however, the French government is annoyed by the amount of cigarette butts littering the streets of Paris and will now fine anyone casually casting away their Gitanes nub end to the tune of 135 Euros.
Zut alors!

The French still have a laissez-faire attitude to the noble leaf and smoking in public doesn't cause the same kind of think-of-the-children consternation it does here: however, the French government is annoyed by the amount of cigarette butts littering the streets of Paris and will now fine anyone casually casting away their Gitanes nub end to the tune of 135 Euros.
Zut alors!
I don't care what the French do. I think back to things like going for a meal with the restaurant space 'split' into smoking and non smoking. However if you were seated in the non smoking area but close to the smoking area, or if the space as a whole wasn't that large, it didn't make hellish much difference. You smelt and tasted the smoke.

I don't want to go back to those days. I'm obviously fine with folk smoking in their own homes, however it's right that public spaces are no smoking. If I sit drinking in public, it affects no one (unless I get drunk and kick off that is!) If I sit smoking, others have no choice but to smell and inhale the smoke, unless they move/leave, and why should they?

You're not the brightest poster on here, are you.
Compared to you yes. 20 fags were not £14 a pack many many years ago . stop being a twit.
proper little story teller you are.

Compared to you yes. 20 fags were not £14 a pack many many years ago . stop being a twit.
proper little story teller you are.
It's obvious I meant if i smoked now, it would cost £5000 plus....

Thick as 2 short planks, and a Troll...............have a nice day.

Everything that can be done to discourage smoking should be done, but I'm not convinced a ban would work. It would be incredibly difficult to enforce and there are dozens of ways around it. The winners would be the organised crime gangs. I would favour control at source. Slowly reducing the levels of nicotine over a fairly long period of time or something similar. Incidentally, it's what we should be doing with sugar. Reduce sugar levels in foods over a period of time. people will get used to it and eventually not notice it.

That is something I can agree with, as both an ex-smoker and someone who has reduced sugar intake. Smoking just became less and less acceptable to many over the years, to the point I began to wonder why I did it and eventually just decided to stop. I don't miss them, feel maybe a little better for it and more money in my pocket.

I likewise just cut my sugar intake by half - one spoon instead of two. You get used to it quite quickly, I am so used to it now, I wouldn't be able to have a drink with two sugars in.

I picked up a scrap of paper in college earlier today. Turned out to be from some form of vape gadget.
Warnings included but not limited to; Don't use this if you are pregnant, suffer from chest problems such as asthma, COPD, bronchitis,, pleurisy, etc.
Do not use this product if you are under 16 years of age. Do not use this product if you have liver, kidney, heart, spleen problems.
This product is pure nicotine and contains no other substances. Nicotine is a very addictive substance and inducing it can cause any or all of the following; light headiness, disorientation, headaches, nausea, disturbed vision, loss of balance, sore joints, arthritis, incoherency, fatigue, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, bodily chemical imbalance, a feeling of euphoria, feelings of despondency, feelings of paranoia and other side effects.
If in doubt, consult your GP before using this product.
And people say this is safer than smoking! :rolleyes:
I'll carry on with the fags thank you. At least they have had over 60 years of continuing research carried out. Unlike these vapes, which have had about 5 minutes worth of research, in the grand scheme of things.

They are just legally obliged to add those warnings to cover their arris's. The nicotine is the same nicotine you are deriving from your ciggies, the big difference is that there are lots of other nasties included with your ciggies, for which there are no obvious warnings.

All that is in the vape in the optional nicotine and steam. The nicotine might or might not be addictive, that depends very much on the individual. I am maybe lucky, but I have no such addictions to anything, I am though a creature of habit - I carry my vape all the time, but often as not it just sits in my pocket unused.

On average about £47 a week. So 47 x 52 = £2,444
Can I ask how much you spend on alcohol or sky tv or going to watch 22 men kick a ball around?
Costs of things are subjective to the person willing to pay them.

Versus the few pence I pay each week for my very safe vaping.

I switched to roll-ups as filters were so much more expensive and didn't have the same flavour.
People who don't smoke can't understand how good tobacco can be, and even after hearing all the arguments i simply tell 'em i enjoy it - just as they enjoy a glass of whiskey or a pint. Alcohol will kill you as much as tobacco but the govt. won't introduce Prohibition in this country, will they?

I tried the roll-ups in my teens, yes they have more flavour, but I could never got the hang of rolling them, I used a machine. I got fed up with the faff and moved back to ready rolled.

I really enjoyed my first ciggies, but not so much the last ones - I just lit up, because I had always lit up. Perhaps that is why I found it so easy to just stop?

It's a strange situation in a way. I think there's general acknowledgment that, if alcoholic drinks and cigarettes (as we know them today) had only been discovered more recently, they wouldn't have been legalised. Maybe a bit like the situation we find ourselves in with cannabis.

They were never made legal, as such, they were simply controlled.

When younger, I had my fair share of going out at weekends and basically drinking too much.

I never did any of that. I have always enjoyed a drink, but never to the point of excess - not to say I have never exceeded my limit, just that I don't enjoy doing that.

Sponsored Links
Back