Smoking to be banned in 2023

Sponsored Links
I hate walking through cigarette smoke, I'm all up for a ban on it.

Smoking is a habit . The weak only believe it’s an addiction because they are told so.
Sugar is an addictive poison and far worse to society as a whole, yet it’s in almost everything and they’re more than willing to let you digest as much of it as you can .

The problem is, banning smoking will not stop people doing it. Just like drugs, it will carry on but you will have to buy on the black market. Who knows what dubious contents they will contain? A few years ago fake cigarettes were making their way into the system and, unknowingly, being sold at major outlets as genuine. I believe somehow they stopped that sort of thing happening.
What are the penalties going to be if you are caught after they have been banned and who is going to enforce them?
Fines? "Sorry guv', can't afford to pay it."
Jail? How long for? Would probably cost more than leaving them to smoke.
Where would the money come from to pay for keeping someone in prison? Higher taxes, be it personal or indirect. Who is going to be happy to pay higher taxes to fund an unworkable scheme?
And finally, a few years ago the ONS declared that tax collected from tobacco and alcohol actually outstripped the costs of treatment by the NHS for illnesses caused by these substances.

Sponsored Links
The problem is, banning smoking will not stop people doing it. Just like drugs, it will carry on but you will have to buy on the black market. Who knows what dubious contents they will contain? A few years ago fake cigarettes were making their way into the system and, unknowingly, being sold at major outlets as genuine. I believe somehow they stopped that sort of thing happening.
What are the penalties going to be if you are caught after they have been banned and who is going to enforce them?
Fines? "Sorry guv', can't afford to pay it."
Jail? How long for? Would probably cost more than leaving them to smoke.
Where would the money come from to pay for keeping someone in prison? Higher taxes, be it personal or indirect. Who is going to be happy to pay higher taxes to fund an unworkable scheme?
And finally, a few years ago the ONS declared that tax collected from tobacco and alcohol actually outstripped the costs of treatment by the NHS for illnesses caused by these substances.
Smoking isn't that much fun. It's not Cannabis or Ecstacy, even if this more dangerous than either. Having to get your fix every few hours is different to something you do once or twice a night.

Plus it'll be easy to police, just see who's stepping out of the office 5 times a day to 'get some air'

Playing devil's advocate the high is so much better. Personal choice is a thing after all.

For the record I would be unamused by either and more by IV drug use. I can't think of any legal activity that is even close to smoking, can you? The reason I mentioned Heroin use is it's the only thing I can come up with that's vaguely comparable in terms of how likely it is to kill you.
Lol

It's a death thing.
Is it? Apparently in the US they thought 900,000 used heroin in 2020 and 13,000 died from it. That's 1 in 30.

In the same year 30 million Americans smoked and 500,000 died from smoking related causes. That's 1 in 60.

So good news, Smoking is (very roughly) only half as dangerous as taking Heroin. You were right.

I often ponder on the fact that Perdue Pharma chose to release Oxycontin & didn't become just another tobacco supplier . . . .

They would have made just as many $BILLIONS without all the hassle.

I often ponder on the fact that Perdue Pharma chose to release Oxycontin & didn't become just another tobacco supplier . . . .

They would have made just as many $BILLIONS without all the hassle.
TEVA, an Israeli pharmaceutical firm, has been fined four billion dollars for promoting opioids in the USA - if governments wanted to ban smoking then they'd just make it illegal; while substantial tax revenues are used by the exchequer to subsidise the NHS i doubt they will do anything other than put more tax on tobacco products.

Everything that can be done to discourage smoking should be done, but I'm not convinced a ban would work. It would be incredibly difficult to enforce and there are dozens of ways around it. The winners would be the organised crime gangs. I would favour control at source. Slowly reducing the levels of nicotine over a fairly long period of time or something similar. Incidentally, it's what we should be doing with sugar. Reduce sugar levels in foods over a period of time. people will get used to it and eventually not notice it.

Blimey I recall when you could smoke in the hospital ward

I was in traction for a couple of weeks( years ago ) and at times you could not see across the ward due to cigarette smoke

The anti smoking campaign and high price of tobacco products have worked to a certain extent.
I remember when all my friends and family bar a couple of them were smokers, including me.
Now only 2 people I know are regular smokers.
Problem with young people is this vape thing.
I see 12 and 13 year old kids vaping in school uniform.

Sponsored Links
Back