Space for you

the deaths will all happen anyway, unless the lockdown remains ad infinitum.

that isnt true though, is it?

the countries that instigated lockdown very fast and hard, have been able to get back to work faster -the difference is that those countries have extensive test, trace isolate systems.

managed correctly the deaths wont all happen anyway and lockdown does not need to remain for ever.

Sponsored Links
It isn't.
It just reveals the remoaners as the scaremongering hypocrites that they really are.
its a strawman argument.

the brexit cliff edge hasnt happened because intelligent people prevented no deal happening thus far -and saved the idiots from themselves

Without vaccine (hoped for, not guaranteed) or effective treatment (as above), the deaths will all happen anyway, unless the lockdown remains ad infinitum.
Unless the (unproven hope of) naturally-acquired immunity comes through, or the virus mutates to a sniffle-for-all affair.
You are talking about eradicating the virus, which we can't do at the moment. Therefore there are ways to manage it, and reduce the number of cases, and subsequently the mortality rate. Any action in that process is weighed up against other aspects.

managed correctly the deaths wont all happen anyway and lockdown does not need to remain for ever.

"managed correctly" being critical, and I am not optimistic that it ever can or will be.

Everyone who gets it, it's flip a coin whether they die or not. Vaccine or treatment is a hope, not yet a realistic target.

Every time the lockdown gets released, someone almost inevitably will become infected. Even with track and trace, whether that person plus some more die is, again, coin - flip material.

Sponsored Links
"managed correctly" being critical, and I am not optimistic that it ever can or will be.

Everyone who gets it, it's flip a coin whether they die or not. Vaccine or treatment is a hope, not yet a realistic target.

Every time the lockdown gets released, someone almost inevitably will become infected. Even with track and trace, whether that person plus some more die is, again, coin - flip material.

South Korea seems to be doing it

"Life as we know it in much of the world has been turned upside down by the coronavirus. But two countries have been widely held up as examples of how to handle a pandemic: South Korea and Germany."

Their approaches were markedly different -- but each is now in the enviable position of being able to ease restrictions imposed to quash the spread of coronavirus with some confidence that infections won't immediately spike again.

"The key to reopening is to offset that risk with testing, tracing, and isolation," he said. "These are tried and true interventions that break chains of transmission. It doesn't mean you can get back to normal, but it increases the chances that you can start to open up safely."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/08/...a-easing-coronavirus-measures-intl/index.html

South Korea seems to be doing it

"Life as we know it in much of the world has been turned upside down by the coronavirus. But two countries have been widely held up as examples of how to handle a pandemic: South Korea and Germany."

Their approaches were markedly different -- but each is now in the enviable position of being able to ease restrictions imposed to quash the spread of coronavirus with some confidence that infections won't immediately spike again.

"The key to reopening is to offset that risk with testing, tracing, and isolation," he said. "These are tried and true interventions that break chains of transmission. It doesn't mean you can get back to normal, but it increases the chances that you can start to open up safely."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/08/...a-easing-coronavirus-measures-intl/index.html

Funny you should mention South Korea.....

Makes my point nicely; just a never - ending (and potentially deadly ) game of whack - a-mole.....

Funny you should mention South Korea.....

Makes my point nicely; just a never - ending (and potentially deadly ) game of whack - a-mole.....
It is, but they're managing to keep the moles wacked fairly well and haven't had the huge number of deaths we have. They should be able to continue that way until a vaccine is available, or until they can find more effective tests to fully isolate and eradicate the virus.

We've let the virus get so widely spread that trying to get us to the same position as South Korea is practically impossible. For better or worse (it's worse) we're doing herd immunity if we like it or not. A vaccine might let us stop without losing 400,000 but that's about as good as it's going to get.

Last edited:
Everyone who gets it, it's flip a coin whether they die or not.
Odd way of looking at it..Many many factors,,much much more complicated than coin toss,,apart from yes obviously you die or survive!

For what it is worth

Koreans may have some herd immunity due to a diet which includes ( I am told ) various "exotic" types of animal including bats.

Odd way of looking at it..Many many factors,,much much more complicated than coin toss,,apart from yes obviously you die or survive!

I suppose how I should have worded it was, short of having a time machine (and going back to a time when you were younger, slimmer, didn't have high blood pressure etc etc etc), there is pretty much nothing the NHS or anyone else can do for you, other than [pray, for want of a better word].

Sponsored Links
Back