Stanley Johnson's eyes have been extensively tested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But plenty of 'restrictions' still apply...

Should government(s) rules change whilst you are abroad, as it does on a daily basis (here and in other European countries) then said cover can become invalid...

Unlike the EHIC card of course :rolleyes:
not true

Sponsored Links
Of course it’s not true but when has Ellal ever let the truth get in the way of his perceived benefits of EU membership?

Apart from the fact that the EHIC benefit will end on 31st Dec this year, it really doesn’t cover much and if you can afford a trip abroad with accommodation and spending money, you should be able to afford the insurance too. I’d make it compulsory for entry into the UK if I had my way.

From the .Gov website: "Remember that the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is not valid on cruises". Pretty useless for Brits wanting instant, private treatment and possible repatriation. Perfect for EU health tourists wanting free NHS healthcare and a fully catered long stay in one of our brilliant NHS hospitals though. ;)

Of course it’s not true but when has Ellal ever let the truth get in the way of his perceived benefits of EU membership?
The truth is that an EHIC card provides any EU citizen with the same medical cover when travelling/working in EU/EEA countries as the citizens of those countries are entitled to.
Whether that be free treatment or costed treatment.

But hey you go on and prove me wrong...

You won't because you can't!

Apart from the fact that the EHIC benefit will end on 31st Dec this year, it really doesn’t cover much and if you can afford a trip abroad with accommodation and spending money, you should be able to afford the insurance too.
And yet you've been happy to take advantage of it up until now despite your dislike of the EU...

Also I'd take a look at the exclusion clauses in private travel healthcare insurance if I were you...

Because you're fast approaching the age where you may not be able to get cover...

The EHIC card of course has no upper age limit...

And old men can still get subsidised travel insurance for the costs (such as repatriation) that aren't covered by the standard EHIC card alone by purchasing EHIC Plus which is far cheaper than private cover should you be able to get it...

But again, go on and prove me wrong...

I see you mention "perceived benefits of EU membership"

You have yet to come up with a single definitive benefit of leaving the EU!

I’d make it compulsory for entry into the UK if I had my way.
Spoken like a true old little englander...

Those EU/EEA citizens outside the UK still have 30 countries to choose from, so guess what's gonna happen!

:)

Last edited:
Oh shudduuuup!

9455AAC6-90FB-406F-B11D-0042C8AE8E6A.gif

The EHIC card of course has no upper age limit...
Irrelevant m'laud. Yours, like mine will fizzle out on Dec 31st.

And yet you've been happy to take advantage

I tell you what I am taking advantage of. My Boris bonus. Bloody rolling in it here. Bottoms up!

4339668C-4DD7-48E9-BC19-F73B63543B46.gif

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The truth is that an EHIC card provides any EU citizen with the same medical cover when travelling/working in EU/EEA countries as the citizens of those countries are entitled to.
I still don't know.

However, if what you say is true, then the only thing the EHIC card does is verify that you are a citizen of an EU state.

There must be more to it than that.

I still don't know.
However, if what you say is true, then the only thing the EHIC card does is verify that you are a citizen of an EU state.
No, it shows you are entitled to healthcare in the EU.

If it were simply to show that you are a citizen of an EU (also EEA) state, then would not a passport/travel ID card suffice?

Is that all you got?
Well apart from totally humiliating you in any discussion we've gotten into, then I guess not...

But who knows, one day you may come up with something old man...

However somehow I doubt it :)

No, it shows you are entitled to healthcare in the EU.
Why would any EU citizen not be entitled?

If it were simply to show that you are a citizen of an EU (also EEA) state, then would not a passport/travel ID card suffice?
I said that before but it was pointed out that some who have passports are not necessarily citizens.

Given the choice between an EHIC and travel insurance, there’s really no comparison. What fool goes abroad without insurance these days?

This is the advice given by Martin Lewis on moneysavingexpert.com:

Does an EHIC make treatment free?
No. You get treated the same way as a citizen of that country. If they get free medical treatment then you do too – but if they pay, you pay the same rates. As this is a reciprocal agreement across Europe, it also means EU citizens can use the NHS in the same way.

Is it a substitute for travel insurance?
No. While very useful, it's only about medical cover. EHIC only gives you access to state-run hospitals which, depending on where you travel to, can be few or far between, and more limited.

The EHIC gives valuable protection but it should never be seen as a substitute for travel insurance.

Travel insurance has a much wider level of cover than the EHIC. For example:
  • EHIC doesn't always mean free treatment - where it doesn't, travel insurance usually covers it. Even in a state hospital using EHIC, you may still have to pay a substantial amount in some countries. Travel insurance should cover this, though using an EHIC may mean you won't need to pay the excess.

• State hospitals might not be available. While in the UK emergency treatment tends to be on the NHS, don't assume this type of coverage will always be available. You may be taken to a private hospital.

• Cancellation, delay, repatriation, baggage loss and theft aren't covered. The EHIC is purely a medical policy, while travel insurance covers many other areas.

• Oops! Those damn 'Europeans' don’t always play fair, do they?https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/may/30/spain-ehic-refusal-european-commission

Last edited:
So, all the EHIC card does is prove residence in the EU.

If I come back to the UK while resident here, do I need to get another one?

The part that was untrue was the claim that an insurance contract can be cancelled while in effect if some external factor with a known risk, comes into effect. That is the whole point of insurance. It is governed by the doctrine of Uberrima fides, which forbids either party concealing what he privately knows, to draw the other into a bargain from his ignorance of that fact, and his believing the contrary. i.e. a get out of jail clause that enables the policy to be invalidated by changes in government advice that occurs while the contract is in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back