Stormzy scholarship

Sponsored Links
That's a weird way to think about it. If someone gives a donation to Harvard ? Who have a low proportion of black and minority students is that racist?
Not if Harvard do not discriminate against races. To the KKK might be viewed as such.

Or if someone donates to say a Jewish cause?
There are black Jews.

if you're a labour MP, it seems to be anti-semitic to support a Palestinian cause ...
It does because a Jewish organisation wrongly defined anti-semitism to exclude semitic Palestinians.

but it's OK if you're a member of a different party. It really is a minefield knowing what is racism.
No it isn't. If you discriminate against someone solely because they are a certain race then it is racism.

Well, only if you allow the tabloid hate rags influence your view.
I do not.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. In the same way that some people give sports scholarships to rowers, skiiers, rugby players etc. Just happens that a large proportion happen to be white in the UK.
Stormzy could have made it a special scholarship for Grime fans living in London. That would help narrow the pool a little without alerting the PC police of possible discrimination.

I did post this yesterday, but the thread was locked.
Brigadier brought it to my attention.
Positive Action to address an imbalance is not unlawlful.

It's my take on positive discrimination and why it's sometimes justified.

What’s positive action?
Positive action is when an employer takes steps to help or encourage certain groups of people with different needs, or who are disadvantaged in some way, access work or training.

Positive action is lawful under the Equality Act. For example, an employer could organise an open day for people from a particular ethnic background if they’re under-represented in the employer’s workforce. This wouldn’t be unlawful discrimination under the Act.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/w...-work/discrimination-at-work-positive-action/

Yes, I linked to this in another thread.

It is clearly, by definition, racist but doesn't seem to count that way round.

It is probably racist of us to mention it.
So is this 'racist' the 'other way around'?

Linky

"Oxford University to launch summer school aimed at white working class boys"

I would say yes. Do you disagree?

Why do they need to say white at all? I am surprised it is allowed.

This quote:

"In her first speech as Prime Minister, Theresa May highlighted the issue, saying that white working-class boys were “less likely than anybody else in Britain to go to university.”

if true, would indicate that they are even less likely than their black counterparts to go to university.

It can't all be true.

White working class males are the lowest percentage per group of entrants. There would be more as total percentage of entrants than black or Asian so maybe that is why they are doing it (though it does sound "racist"). BAME (as they are referred to now) make up over 30% of players in the football premiership, they don't buy players due to ethnicity, but due to skill, maybe that is the same with university intake.

White working class males are the lowest percentage per group of entrants. There would be more as total percentage of entrants than black or Asian so maybe that is why they are doing it (though it does sound "racist"). BAME (as they are referred to now) make up over 30% of players in the football premiership, they don't buy players due to ethnicity, but due to skill, maybe that is the same with university intake.
If the BAME footballers did not apply for the football places, they could not be selected.

Sponsored Links
Back