swine flue vaccination

• Thread starter Bodgeit and scarper ltd
  • Start date
The latest figures i can find say that to date, 668,000 people have contracted the virus in the UK, thats just 1.1% of the population and of those that contracted the virus, 137 have died and 667,863 have fully recovered or put another way 99.98% have fully recovered. If i get offered the vacination, i'll take my chances without it and if my wife was pregnant, i would encourage her not to have the vacination too. 3000 people get killed in road accidents every year in the UK - they don't tell pregnant women to stay away from roads? We spoke to a midwife who told us that normal advice is that pregnant women should avoid non-essential medication and vacinations during pregnancy and her opinion was that this is no different.

I know (kind of) just one person who has had swine flu, my wife's, hairdresser's 9yr old daughter who contracted the virus whilst on holiday in Spain. She made a full recovery within 5 days and didn't pass the virus to her parents or 3 siblings who were on holiday with her, flew back with her and continued to live in the same house as her.

Sponsored Links
I think one of the problems is that GPs aren't examining suspected Swine Flu patients. Where Swine Flu is 'suspected', a doctor will ask questions over the phone. If you answer yes/no to the right symptoms then again Swine Flu is suspected/diagnosed and Anti-Viral drugs are prescribed.

So we don't really know how many people actually have, have had, Swine Flu.

To digress slightly, I wonder how many 'lead swingers' have used the system of 'over the phone' diagnosis to their advantage at work, ringing in sick stating they have been diagnosed with Swine Flu? There will be some I'm sure and that further distorts the infection rate figures.

This all sounds like the MMR thing all over again...

Charlie Brooker covered it brilliantly in Newswipe. See 2mins 40secs in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8trMXe8ok

1) ITV/Sky News report scare story on a tiny minority who don't want it
2) This scares some people into not having it.
3) The fact that some people aren't having it becomes the story
4) People assume from the coverage that there must be some science in the fact it's unsafe and more don't have it.

I've got mine tomorrow and so I'd like to say goodbye and good luck to everyone as this will be my last ever post if you believe the media. ;)

Sponsored Links
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/6617357/Swine-flu-Strain-resistant-to-Tamiflu-spreads-between-UK-hospital-patients.html
So has the recent drive toward the flu jab been a waste of time?

Resistance to tamiflu is not resistance to the vaccine.

I'll rephrase has the recent drive toward the flu jab and the publicity regarding tamiflu been a waste of time.(better?)

So has the recent drive toward the flu jab been a waste of time?

The Telegraph said:
Five patients ..... does not appear to be more severe than the swine flu virus circulating since the spring.... All patients on the unit have been tested and patients diagnosed with Tamiflu-resistant swine flu have been given other antivirals

were you panicked by that news then?

Sponsored Links
Back