UK Will Not Join EU Scheme To Obtain Coronavirus Vaccine

Sponsored Links
No. Nowhere did I suggest that. This thread isn't about other vaccine factories or the size of pharma companies.

But your post was about the idea that EU would be in the queue for vaccines behind UK and US.

Which is not true.

It could work out fine, the odds on a single vaccine are pretty poor, I've heard one in 10. There's over 100 different vaccines going through trials around the world so it's pretty good chances that there will be one or two that work. But putting all our eggs in one basket with Astra Zenica seems risky.

The EU scheme would give us worse odds of being first in line but a good chance of getting some early and at a low price.

Sponsored Links
When/if vaccines are available, it's to be expected that all the countries in the world with the ability to make them will be doing it. Some countries might pay royalties. Many won't.

There is a view that when a government pays for a vaccine to be developed, the rights to that vaccine should belong to the government that paid for it. Same if the EU or the WHO pays.

Apparently some idiot governments have been shovelling out money to their buddies without such contractual terms. It must be terrible to live in a country with an idiot government.

There may be two or three phases.

The "first" vaccine will be the first to roll out

The "best" vaccine will be the one that is produced in greatest numbers.

The "most expensive" vaccine will be the one that US health industry lobbyists will push for in the country they control.

It could work out fine, the odds on a single vaccine are pretty poor, I've heard one in 10. There's over 100 different vaccines going through trials around the world so it's pretty good chances that there will be one or two that work. But putting all our eggs in one basket with Astra Zenica seems risky.

The EU scheme would give us worse odds of being first in line but a good chance of getting some early and at a low price.

I heard an expert say recently: "it's great news about the vaccine developed in Oxford, but on the negative side, most vaccines don't work"

I'm keeping fingers crossed we will have a working vaccine in the Autumn, hopefully the Oxford one, but any one that works would be great.

There's more than one vaccine development project in the UK.

Separately, the UK Government is taking an option on 60m doses of the GSK / Sanofi version.
We're still gambling that we can strike 'better' deals than the EU, maybe we will but it seems a questionable gamble. It feels like it's a politically driven decision rather than to get the best health outcome.

When the UK is gearing up to produce loads of an unproven vaccine there doesn't seem to be much point in also paying for another but we appear to have all of our eggs in one basket.

The NHS own developed antibody test development mentioned earlier on didn't bear any fruit. Have to hope the vaccine doesn't go the same way.

What, like the EU PPE procurement scheme, who'd have thought that would involve the French hijacking our lorries.

Sponsored Links
Back