Unsecured turret - Boiler at risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I would like to hear your opinions on my situation.

I have been with the AA for an annual boiler service since 2011, when I first purchased my flat. Since then, I never

had an issue with my boiler, but this year some issues arose. The previous inspections until this year's were alaways

passed without a problem. Previous annual services were always with AA-approved contractors until this year, when AA

engineers visited my flat. The flat is covered by an NHBC insurance scheme, in its 5th year. We have a Glowworm

condensing boiler ultracom Sxi18.

Based on the AA checks, the engineers claim that the turret is not secured properly to the boiler box and they have

to classify the boiler as at risk. They say that they have noticed the flame of a match moving when in proximity of

the turret. There are some marks around the turret. However when they performed a check to measure the levels of CO

in the room the results came up ok. Moreover, the fact that the boiler is a condensing boiler helps because of the

negative pressure. One of the engineers said that the issues might be addressed by simply tightening the screws that

should seal the screws against the box, however there is not sufficient space to fit in a screwdriver because there

is the top shelf of the boiler cupboard.

I am wondering what I can/should do in this case?
I am wondering why this has never been picked up on in previous inspections? Should I complain to the AA regarding

this or should I claim it against the NHBC insurance scheme as the flue issue is linked to an installation problem?

In order to solve this I guess we would have to clear the area around the turret by removing the top shelf, which

will require to remove the entire cupboard and breaking the wall. All this is sure to be expensive.

Would there be an easier solution? Of course I want to have the "at risk" removed. I guess I will need another

inspection after the turret problem is rectified by an engineer?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
where's the leak coming from? and whats wrong with an angled screwdriver ffs. even a bit and a small adjustable would do the trick

Just cut a bigger whole in the top of the cupboard.

Micky - your little lady fingers might get in there, but my man clubs would struggle ;).

I have a small 1/4" drive ratchet that would take a screwdriver bit and would get in there. One like THIS

Another point I have to make is that it looks like the cupboard was fitted after the boiler so you may be able to remove it or perhaps just the top shelf.

Sponsored Links
They say that they have noticed the flame of a match moving when in proximity of

the turret.
The pressure in the house can vary from + to - depending on several things and so may expel or suck in CO but there does seem to be a hole at this location.

Most boiler makers ask for a MINIMUM of 200 mm above their boilers.

In my view thats not correctly installed.

It has clearly been leaking and probably condensation but it could indicate a leak from the outlet to the inlet of the flue. That needs to be checked with a gas analyser.

Its the developer's error but probably not worth getting it corrected now. There is anyway a minimum amount on NHBRC claims.

The cupboard can probably be easily removed to enable the screw to be checked or a new gasket to be fitted depending on what is needed.

Tony

Thanks for your feedback.

I noticed that the outlet pipe has a downward slope which clearly favours water ingress. I understand there is a safety concern here of which I am liable as owner/occupier, but it was clearly bad installation practice from the builder. Is there any regulation with regards to outlet pipe angle?

Do you think it's not worth raising it with NHBC? Cupboard removal will require the removal of some electric wires, lights and AA engineer advised that part of the plaster would need to come off as well. Once the cupboard has been removed then the turret needs to be checked and fixed. All this can be a very expensive job especially in central London.

And even if we fix the turret seal, corrosion will continue because the pipe is on a slope downward.

You seem to have a vertical flue or at least a vertical section of flue pipe above the boiler.

Horizontal flue pipes should slope back to the boiler at about 3 degrees.

Where does your flue go to where it disappears into the ceiling?

Since the minimum NHBC claims are probably about £1200, are you really sure its worth all the hassle?

Tony

You seem to have a vertical flue or at least a vertical section of flue pipe above the boiler.

Horizontal flue pipes should slope back to the boiler at about 3 degrees.

Since the minimum NHRBC claims are probably about £3000, are you really sure its worth all the hassle?

You could have a new boiler fitted for less than that!

Tony

Many thanks for the feedback.
Do you mean that a slope is allowed and therefore if water ingress occurs that is something that is allowed by regulation?

What do you advise to do? Call a Gas Safe engineer, give him access to the turret (so removing the top shelf) and make him check that the seal is fine and eventually replace that?

Once this has been checked I could have another inspection or will the Gas Safe engineer himself be able to classify my boiler as not at risk anymore (hence removing the sticker)?

Thanks
m.

Any gas safe engineer could check the boiler to see if the discharge is leaking into the inlet air.

Then screw the retaining screws up tight IF they are loose!

Then check the integrity of the seal.

If he is happy then he can remove the At Risk notice.

Tony

From inside the cupboard drill a hole 10mm or greater upward about 2 inches to the front of the boiler. Get a jigsaw and cut around the boiler.
Remove the section of wood from above the boiler and enjoy better access without all the destruction.

I was thinking of cutting with a rotary tool around the turret (say about 5 inches each side instead of the current half inch) so that the screws of the turret seal are fully accessible. Will this make it possible to remove the turret and inspect the seal?

Thanks

M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back