Unvented.. me..garlic bread..

B

Bamber gaspipe

Not an authority on unvented systems (not on authority on much)! but have been asked to get involved on a job larger than I`m used to & it involves unvented cylinders (restaurant). Have already said that I won`t go near because I`m unqualified & then been told that the qualification takes a day to pass! Is someone havin` a laugh! (Ricky Gervais,Extras).

Sponsored Links
True.

One day bpec course did mine January, not even a full day.

A bit apprehensive going in but was soon put at ease when i realised the rest of the people in there new less than me!!

Bamber gaspipe said:
Not an authority on unvented systems (not on authority on much)! but have been asked to get involved on a job larger than I`m used to & it involves unvented cylinders (restaurant). Have already said that I won`t go near because I`m unqualified & then been told that the qualification takes a day to pass! Is someone havin` a laugh! (Ricky Gervais,Extras).

it is true mate

its another "give us your cash and heres your ticket" courses

its a piece of pee mate but costs about 250 knicker

Like ACS modules its a total rip off

itsaboy! said:
True.

One day bpec course did mine January, not even a full day.

A bit apprehensive going in but was soon put at ease when i realised the rest of the people in there new less than me!!

How do you feel about installing one, I was under the impression that incoming mains pressure has to be taken into consideration & there are all sorts of safety aspects to be considered.

Sponsored Links
In reality about an hours talk with an exam at the end for most people with a bit of experience dead easy. Local acs centre want 200 quid. . There is a centre in birmingham that does modules at a very reasonable rate... £400 for core and five modules 2 days..i know where i will go for mine. Not paying eleven hundred and fifty quid at the local one if i can get it for that price

the course was mainly to emphasise safety aspect of installing.

Didn't really come away with much more knowledge than i went in with

Unvented cylinders tend to be sold as a kit with all instructions on all safety valves etc.

Incoming pressure is a factor cant remember off hand what it needs to be more/less than but usually come with pressure reducing valve for cold supply.

No more harder to install than anything else really just look abit more complicated than they are. Not that i'm an expert by any means!!

Fabulous advice...have any of you installed one? I haven`t, to be honest,heard some scary stories regarding pressure etc,.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Fabulous advice...have any of you installed one? I haven`t, to be honest,heard some scary stories regarding pressure etc,.

Yep i've installed one,not too bad,just looks more involved than it is,I think it has to have a 22mm cold main supply and you have to get your distances between tundishes etc. right but follow manufacturers instructions and you'll be ok.
I havent done one for a while cos I was a bit peeved after sitting an assessment for it about 10 years ago when I was told I had the qualification for life like the plumbing city and guilds and then someone decides that it's got to be a 5 yearly thing like the acs's,what a con. :evil:

Done 10 now all in new builds about half still to be commisioned.

You've got to remember you're dealing with mains pressure hot water which is itself pressurised (does that sound right?) and if the correct safety devices aren't fitted and there is a problem than that could be the scary bit.

Learnt more from MI's than anything else.

All comes as a kit as long as you've no bits left you should be ok!? :D

Paid £99+vat + registration fee 45 i think

Centre where I recently done my ACS re-assessment offered a one day unvented course at £150.00. Mind my CCN1 and three modules set me back £1410.00 inc VAT. That peeved me off lots.

I did mine a couple of years ago. It cost me over £200. I have since fitted 2 Megaflows and 14 Santon Premier Plus's.
If you fit a premier plus dont do as the bloke does on the picture in the advertising literature. He has piped it up wrongly. I called Santon about this and they said the picture was 'just to show that you could fit it in a cupboard'
If you go for a megaflow then give yourself an easy life and get them to buy a pre plumbed and wired one if the system is to do heating as well.
I found that dealing with the council can be a pain in the butt. Theres a 'Richard head' that I get whenever I call up who demands drawings of the route of the D2 pipe. They get very fussy about this because they dont know much about UV cyl's. Also they often demand that all the pipes be lagged, even the cold inlet pipe. Insulation is cheap so I did it just to shut them up as it was easier than arguing the toss.
If you do the course and get the card I believe that you can now register installations through corgi. Also take a picture of the set up as its often hard working the pipes out so that the TPR and PRV are both within the required distance of the tun dish. Make sure that you fit the PV after the NRV unlike the pratt on the Santon picture
Santonhownottodoit.jpg

If its just a one off then follow the instructions to the letter and get the customer to pay for a BCO inspection.

Thanks for all help especially Slugs, I think the problem I have is not how to plumb them in but how they work, think I will have to get me head around this before I go installing ( being asked all the time in bigger houses, want better flow rates etc).Thanks for info guy`s. Will be back for more.( is that you in picture Slugs? you look like a murderer). :eek:

And screw in a 1/4 presure gauge into the PRV block. Most have a tapping. Useful to see the dynamic pressure and to check if the valve need adjustment at service time.

Gasguru said:
And screw in a 1/4 presure gauge into the PRV block. Most have a tapping. Useful to see the dynamic pressure and to check if the valve need adjustment at service time.

Dynamics & PRV`s I hate this guy :eek: :D Lemme do the freekin` course guy :LOL:

Fitted many megaflos,an rcl300L solar ultrasteel and my own Vaillant 250L Aurostor or whatever its called (Twin coil solar one).
Not qualified but had the occasional visit from my old boss who was supposed to be fitting them :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back