Unvented.. me..garlic bread..

Timmyturtle said:
Fitted many megaflos,an rcl300L solar ultrasteel and my own Vaillant 250L Aurostor or whatever its called (Twin coil solar one).
Not qualified but had the occasional visit from my old boss who was supposed to be fitting them :)

WOW you must love him to do a good that requires qualifications that you dont have, bet he is still charging the clients as if you were

if it werent for poor gullible loves like you accepting and undertaking illeagal work for an rip off boss he would hardley even be able to afford a flash car

;)

Seriously why do you accept bieng short changed??

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom wrote

Make sure that you fit the PV after the NRV unlike the pratt on the Santon picture

Whats a PV ??.

If its just a one off then follow the instructions to the letter and get the customer to pay for a BCO inspection.

I am not qualifed and have fitted a few in new builds and the BCO never batted an eyelid.
Though one was a replacement bungalow which was grant aided and I had to get a guy in to sign it off or else the owner would have lost about £10,000 worth of grant aid. That one really had me sweating I must admit.

PV = pressure vessel = space to where the water in the cylinder can expand when it gets heated.

I am not qualifed and have fitted a few in new builds and the BCO never batted an eyelid.
Thats because most BCO's are basically pen pushers and tend not to be interested in plumbing issues that do not involve drains. As more are getting fitted every day their awareness of the issues will hopefully increase. As always, it will take an accident to happen here before they really start to get clued up on them.

Look at the video on this site to see what they can do if they are badly fitted or tampered with. That was only a 12 gallon tank! I can't recall any accidents so far in this country but I think that there was one in France a few years ago. An unvented cylinder did manage to take out a fishing vessel in 2000

Slugbabydotcom said:
An unvented cylinder did manage to take out a fishing vessel in 2000

True, but it was a standard domestic vented cylinder that had been incorrectly installed as an unvented system and without the safety devices that would come with a pukka unvented kit of parts.

It's worth noting that the potential for an explosion exists in a vented system if, for example, a valve is installed in the open vent, or the OV freezes.

You should notify the local authority of all unvented installations, whether you're qualified, unqualified or a DIYer.

I had worked on unvented cylinders before they became legal in the UK and thought I knew most of it. With hindsight, the course was worth doing because it filled in gaps in my knowledge, especially on the legal side. If I'd known there were gaps in what I knew, I'd have read up on it; I didn't, so couldn't (if you see what I mean).

It was then a 2 day course and I doubt that a quick 1 day course would be adequate. Some of the more intellectually challenged were struggling, even then.

Sponsored Links
I dont think UV,s are legal in Republic of Ireland or any hot water mains pressure system for that matter but I could be wrong.

Onetap said:
Slugbabydotcom said:
An unvented cylinder did manage to take out a fishing vessel in 2000

It's worth noting that the potential for an explosion exists in a vented system if, for example, a valve is installed in the open vent, or the OV freezes.

Why wouldn't it just use the feed pipe for expansion?

ollski said:
Why wouldn't it just use the feed pipe for expansion?

It probably would unless, say, the cold feed had also frozen (quite probable if the OV has frozen) or someone had installed a stop-cock (with the washer on a loose jumper, these act as a non-return valve) in the cold feed, or an isolating valve on the cold feed is shut. There is a potential for an explosion in both vented & unvented water heaters, if given the wrong combination of circumstances.

In fact, someone (Coppercylinderman?) posted a picture of a wrecked flat on here (I think, may have been a Screwfix forum ) some months ago in which it seemed that a vented cylinder which had suffered a frozen OV & CF was the likely culprit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back