VE Day 75 years later: The real story of how Britain won WW2

But as a country we stood alone
Nonsense. Even your own article says so.

We had the largest empire the world has ever known, and even greater extra-imperial assets. Britain owned huge stakes in Argentina, for example, with many farms, ports and railways run by British firms.

and access to around 80% of the world’s merchant fleet. These were huge assets.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That is a bit like saying we were the better team, all 7 goals were lucky..
Perhaps the Germans were lucky. However, there is no doubting their military superiority, during WWII. If they had luck as well, then that's a bummer.

Monty showed Rommel though, in the desert.:)

As a country we were and if this island fell to the Germans we may well be German now........ If not Russian....

I also take nothing away from the commonwealth solders the Polish and Czech pilots. The Norwegian and French resistance.

But as a country we stood alone until the others pulled their fingers out.
When precisely did we stand alone?

Nonsense. Even your own article says so.

At the beginning we were the only credible defence. If we didn't stand up to the war in Europe we would now be speaking German or Russian. Who else stood by us with a military force when Europe had fallen.

Sponsored Links
When Europe fell.
We were, for a while. Roughly June 1940 to June 1941. But when we say 'we' it doesn't mean England, the UK or even GB. It means the British Empire. Loads of subjects from the empire fought alongside Brits and the economic muscle of the empire paid for the army and navy.

And we did have some very quiet help from the US even before war was declared

As a country we never stood alone then, reminds me of a mate of mine who claimed he built his own house without help, apart from brickies, roofers, gas fitters etc

We were, for a while. Roughly June 1940 to June 1941. But when we say 'we' it doesn't mean England, the UK or even GB. It means the British Empire. Loads of subjects from the empire fought alongside Brits and the economic muscle of the empire paid for the army and navy.

And we did have some very quiet help from the US even before war was declared

I have no doubt what you say is true but I have said as an island. If Great Britain was attched to the mainland of Europe we would have been defeated that can't be denied.
And we would likely not be speaking English today.

My point is this Island stood alone waiting for the Americans to join us.
For Czech and Polish plots to escape too and fly British planes from British airports.
For food aircraft and tanks to leave our land to help the Russians eventually defeat the Germans from the East.

Last edited by a moderator:
This period of being alone that you speak of, did we not have any foreign military stationed here?

Also the US entered the war at the end of 41, so from the outset thats two years of being alone

But Mother Nature was the key player.

The weather was a massive factor. If we never kept the Britain German free, the we would likely have been defending these islands from the Russians and not the Germans.

This period of being alone that you speak of, did we not have any foreign military stationed here?

Where would they have been if we were not an island nation and we were under German rule?

Without strong leadership from Winston Churchill

Where would America and the Allies have launched their attack from.

Don't mistake that I'm saying we could have beat the Germans and then the Russians without any help, we just steadied the boat until the Americans joined the war.

Sponsored Links
Back