Wales becomes Trumpton

There is no concept of opting out. Every road would have needed a traffic order and repeater speed limit signs. Of course it would have been really sensible to carefully choose which roads should be 20mph based on merit. But that is the jurisdiction of local councils and not under Drakeford's power.

But at least it makes it easy to reverse... for another £40m

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no concept of opting out. Every road would have needed a traffic order
Yes, again correct - 'opted out' is a phrase that has been used often during the changeover.

Of course it would have been really sensible to carefully choose which roads should be 20mph based on merit.
And yes, I totally agree.

However, again your issue seems to relate mostly to law. The councils have used their powers to apply for traffic orders where appropriate.
And there are plenty of roads around here that have remained at 30, with no effective change to the drivers.

Sponsored Links
I don't mind sticking to any speed limit. But I like to think there is a point and I like to think that the lower speed limit doesn't lead to people being more distracted and concentrating less. I also like limited tax payer money to be spend on things that will work.
Christ on a (restricted) bike! Your head must implode when motorways enforce variable speed limits, lol. It's a wonder you can even get to your destination. If your concentration skills are that bad you can't maintain a set speed, you're better off being chauffeured, lol.

No. Exceptions were made for some restricted roads, not all 30's were made 20's.
That's what we've argued about from some of the earliest posts in this thread.
MB seems perturbed that every restricted road was changed by law to 20 (they were).
The councils then had the option to make a traffic order on certain roads, to retain a 30 limit.

He has made arguments before, using emotive images of restrictive dual carriageways that would 'automatically' become 20...

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/wales-becomes-trumpton.615607/post-5557705

But again, the council would have likely made a traffic order to retain a 30 limit, and the travelling public would have noticed no effective change.

His arguments (on this matter) seem to be based around a point of law, rather than anything that in reality effects anyone.

every restricted road was changed by law to 20 (they were)
I think that's debatable. All restricted roads were to become 20's from 17th September. If an exception was in place before then, then they never became 20's,.

They weren't "excepted" from 20 to 30, They were "excepted" from becoming 20's at all.

A reminder that the legal change affected all restricted roads.
Wrong. It affected all restricted roads other than those with a different designated speed limit. You keep banging that drum just to make a non point. Not 800m from here is a 'restricted road' with a 60 limit (A4107).

Wrong. It affected all restricted roads other than those with a different designated speed limit. You keep banging that drum just to make a non point. Not 800m from here is a 'restricted road' with a 60 limit (A4107).
Its not wrong See

If they have different speed limits they aren't restricted roads.

I think that's debatable. All restricted roads were to become 20's from 17th September. If an exception was in place before then, then they never became 20's,.

They weren't "excepted" from 20 to 30, They were "excepted" from becoming 20's at all.
The law affected all restricted roads. If the council wanted to exclude a road, they needed a traffic order, consultation etc and some roundels. You also have to have repeater signs at regular intervals. Maybe you have noticed small National speed limit signs on main roads with street lights? This is because they would become restricted roads (though not enforceable as such*) if they didn't have repeaters.

*they would need terminal signs.

Last edited:
Christ on a (restricted) bike! Your head must implode when motorways enforce variable speed limits, lol. It's a wonder you can even get to your destination. If your concentration skills are that bad you can't maintain a set speed, you're better off being chauffeured, lol.
Its more drivers like you I was thinking of.. Drivers who passed their test many years ago and never felt the need to further their skills or take a refresher.

never felt the need to further their skills
Were talking about sticking at 20 mph boyo, not space-flight. If you are so distracted that your limited concentration, can not keep a vehicle at around that speed, then you don't deserve to be on the road.

Skills my arse.

I also like limited tax payer money to be spend on things that will work.
Your absence of comment regards £200 million spent on useless PPE suggests otherwise. As long as that poorly spent money goes to rich Tories eh.

Fugging hypocrite.

Sponsored Links
Back