We Need These Signs On Our Motorways!

Too many words for a driver to read whilst travelling at 70mph.

As an aside, our UK motorway signs are in that lower case font because our brain recognises the shape of the words better than upper case.

Eg Slough rather than SLOUGH.

Sponsored Links
Not as dangerous as travelling at 70mph in the middle lane, passing lorries in the inner lane travelling at 60mph and then, just as you are approaching the rear end of one, he pulls out without indicating less than 6 feet in front of you causing you to slam on your brakes because someone is going past you in the outside lane at 75mph!

The said lorry then takes about 3 miles to pass the one on the inside and the motorway has been reduced to 2 lanes because of roadworks meaning you can't move out and overtake him! :evil:

I took the details of the lorry, (registration, company name, time, place etc), and phoned up when I got home. Company wasn't interested as they said all their drivers were self employed and G8 Nationals!

A lorry driver once told me that it's done on purpose in protest to the fact that they are not allowed to go faster than 60mph. So the lorry in the nearside lane does 59 whilst the overtaking lorry takes three miles to get past doing 60.

No matter what the highway code may advise this has to be more dangerous than sitting in the middle lane at 70.

Not as simple as that sooey.
Anyone that has travelled on motorways daily for years on end, get to see these situations.
These dangerous people are rife on motorways now, but they just don't seem to get it.

It's a case of "I'm doing the speed limit, f*ck everyone else". They're the dangerous ones.

Why not let the speed freaks and slightly faster traffic get past.
Move over, what does it matter ???

Very dangerous people.

I get that but what I don't get is when I am driving in an average speed controlled zone, I still get drivers overtaking even though I am right up to the limit.

Sponsored Links
No matter what the highway code may advise this has to be more dangerous than sitting in the middle lane at 70.

Anyone that has travelled on motorways daily for years on end, get to see these situations.
These dangerous people are rife on motorways now, but they just don't seem to get it.

It's a case of "I'm doing the speed limit, f*ck everyone else". They're the dangerous ones.

Very dangerous people.

I get that but what I don't get is when I am driving in an average speed controlled zone, I still get drivers overtaking even though I am right up to the limit.

Don't presume that they care about their licence.
Don't presume that the cameras actually work (although I don't risk it).
Finally, don't presume that they understand what "average" means - I regularly see drivers slow down for the camera / gantry in an "average speed zone", then tear off (only to jam the anchors on, at the next camera)
:rolleyes:

Finally, don't presume that they understand what "average" means - I regularly see drivers slow down for the camera / gantry in an "average speed zone", then tear off (only to jam the anchors on, at the next camera)

Never one to miss a chance to be pedantic, maybe they are using the median average rather than the mean average?

M'lud.

Never one to miss a chance to be pedantic, maybe they are using the median average rather than the mean average?

M'lud.

Good point!

Very dangerous people.

If the limit is 70mph and you set cruise control at that speed your average speed will actually be in the low 60's.

That BMW driver on your arse is me with my cruise set to around 77mph or whatever I have calculated using the average speed function on the computer is going to put me at true 70mph.

If someone is doing 70 in the middle lane and there is traffic behind, why should he pull over? Unless it's an emergency vehicle.

Over archingly we are supposed to drive on the left, if space available -

If using speedometers lead car could be over reading by a legal 10%, clocking 70 actually moving at less than 64mph, the following car has only a 1% error clocking 70 actual 69mph.
Thus a real 5 mph quicker, or 7.3 ft/sec or a bus'ish length every 5 secs.

Maybe there is a little more sense to the ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) guidance of 10%+2mph regarding speeding as an offence, than meets the first eyeballing.
In the above scenario lead car clocks 78mph actual 71mph, following car clocks 78 actual 77mph - Ok so far, but if following car overtakes the lead car his action may be deemed, by an observing cop, as a dangerous move due to the traffic situation - the on the spot cop's take on on things over rides ACPO guidance, his radar gun shows 77mph, thus the overtaker is 'done'.

Just sayin'

-0-

Very dangerous people.

If the limit is 70mph and you set cruise control at that speed your average speed will actually be in the low 60's.

That BMW driver on your a**e is me with my cruise set to around 77mph or whatever I have calculated using the average speed function on the computer is going to put me at true 70mph.

I see. So the cruise speed bears no relation to the speedometer and would probably lose a bit of speed on a hill before the engine accelerates and catches up.

The cruise speed is the same as, or governed by, the speedometer speed, (calculated by the electronics) whether correct or not.

This will be calculated by the electronics from know gearbox output, manufactured rear axle ratio and wheel size.
If you alter either of these it will alter the speedometer speed.

It will lose speed very slightly when you come to a hill as the ECU does not know there is a hill coming so it will have to compensate after the event instead of before like you do.

I don't see it being enough to make a 7mph. (from 77 to 70) difference to the average speed.
For that to happen you would have to be doing 63mph. for half the distance.

The cruise speed is the same as, or governed by, the speedometer speed, (calculated by the electronics) whether correct or not.

This will be calculated by the electronics from know gearbox output, manufactured rear axle ratio and wheel size.
If you alter either of these it will alter the speedometer speed.

It will lose speed very slightly when you come to a hill as the ECU does not know there is a hill coming so it will have to compensate after the event instead of before like you do.

I don't see it being enough to make a 7mph. (from 77 to 70) difference to the average speed.
For that to happen you would have to be doing 63mph. for half the distance.

Yes, I must admit I don't quite understand it. If I'm doing 70mph the whole way (give or take a little bit) why is my average speed not 70mph?

Yes, I must admit I don't quite understand it. If I'm doing 70mph the whole way (give or take a little bit) why is my average speed not 70mph?

Because they are measured by different instruments. You are measuring your speed using your speedo

Your average speed is measured using posts at fixed known distances (and it's not necessarily sequential either..)

If you set your cruise control based on what your sat nav speedo says, it's likely to be much closer to covering 70 miles in one hour. Measurement of distance using triangulation is way more accurate than your speedo at fixed ratio to the road wheels.

Nozzle

I'm an old fashioned kind of guy, if my speedo says 70 that's good enough for me, fook everyone else. And if anyone wants to get past, there's an outside lane for that.

If someone is doing 70 in the middle lane and there is traffic behind, why should he pull over? Unless it's an emergency vehicle.

Because it is the Law, the middle and outside lanes are overtaking lanes. You are supposed to drive on the inside lane unless you are overtaking, having done so you should pull back into the inside lane when safe to do so.
Believing that someone who passes you is speeding and so breaking the Law does not justify you sitting in the middle lane and breaking the Law, your speedo could be wrong and just because you believe you are travelling at the speed limit doesn't mean that you are.
Try considering other road users instead of just yourself.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back