Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration to tackle bar staff shortage

Sponsored Links
I can’t see but is the same person complaining about the air miles involved with the EU exporting to their major buyer of fruit and veg, the US? No problems with EU produce travelling those distances is there? :rolleyes:

I think you know the answer to that ;)

Sponsored Links
not an opportunity for "Global Britain" then

Not an opportunity for opening up trade with unspecified countries that for unspecified reasons we were unable to trade with as members of the EU. Not an opportunity for cutting our trade with our nearest neighbours. Not an opportunity for resigning from the world's finest and largest single market.

Must have been a different Brexit.

Brexit is / was an opportunity for many things John.

Brexit is / was an opportunity for many things John.
Brexit is only an opportunity for the rich and wealthy to deregulate and make money out the chaos.

I've yet to see an brexiteer come up with an actual real benefit.

No one in Britain grows cabbages?
Mottie does
And not just cabbages. Just one of my many harvests last year. :)

5AB22F42-EAF2-46DF-AB59-4DDB2BE8679E.jpeg

it doesnt matter on the food air miles

this also happens throughout europe, although less so in spain and italy where the mediteranian climate provides them with wonderful fruit and veg.
It very much does not happen in France.
I'm sure it's been said before, but in the veg aisles in supermarkets in France, the products are very much seasonal, and the origins of the food is provided on prominent display for each product. I would hazard a guess that only about 5% of products come from outside of EU, with France, Spain, Belgium being by far the most prominent supplying countries.
There are the occasional oriental spices, nuts and fruit, but these tend to be on a special counter and the turn over of these goods is minimal.

I gather from that reply that someone on my ignored list is complaining about the air miles on the food available in my local supermarket in January 2019, a good few years before Brexit. My point was that if we were already buying from those places two years before Brexit happened when presumably there was an option to buy from the EU, there would have been a cost/availability reason for it and not being able to get those same goods from the EU should make very little difference to the price or supply. I’ve certainly seen no increase or shortage of fruit and veg in my supermarket since Brexit - exactly when is that going to happen - I keep hearing it but I’m still not seeing it!

I can’t see but is the same person complaining about the air miles involved with the EU exporting to their major buyer of fruit and veg, the US? No problems with EU produce travelling those distances is there? :rolleyes:
I guess Mottie is not aware of how competition affects prices.
Prior to Brexit, products from far-away places had to undercut the prices of products from 'around the corner'.
If those locally produced products are no longer available for ideological or logistical reasons, the products from far away places have less competition, and therefore 'room' to adjust their prices without affecting sales.

I read elsewhere that Weatherspoons' business model is based on buying nearly out of date beer, and selling it cheap.
I don't know how accurate that is.

Spoons is the only pub i have gone into and ask for a pint of the beer on display, only to be told that they have run out of that beer.

Spoons has nice beers sometimes, the problem is that you come back next day and that beer has disappeared.

It seems Tim Martins pubs are clearing houses for bankrupt stock and for Brewers who have beer they want get rid off.

Spoons is the only pub i have gone into and ask for a pint of the beer on display, only to be told that they have run out of that beer.

Spoons has nice beers sometimes, the problem is that you come back next day and that beer has disappeared.

It seems Tim Martins pubs are clearing houses for bankrupt stock and for Brewers who have beer they want get rid off.
That seems to support the comment that I've seen.

I voted for control of who come into our country..... not to kick the good Foreign army out.

I have been sad to see some decent people go home, I feel sad for this as that was never my intention.
It was of course inevitable...

But I thought you knew exactly what you were voting for?

Sponsored Links
Back