What are you having for breakfast?

Far be it for me to say, but my Dad (who was born on Campbell Road in Bow) always said that malt vinegar was the correct condiment, along with ground white pepper.
As an alternative, he said you could used chilli vinegar, malt vinegar infused with chillies.

To him, NBC was the stuff of the devil,

NBC is basically watered down acetic acid with colours and flavourings added, whereas malt vinegar is made from ale brewed with malted barley.

You can buy NBC from chip shops in the frozen wastes of the North and probably elsewhere too. It's not limited to the Smoke.

Sponsored Links
Far be it for me to say, but my Dad (who was born on Campbell Road in Bow) always said that malt vinegar was the correct condiment, along with ground white pepper.
As an alternative, he said you could used chilli vinegar, malt vinegar infused with chillies.

To him, NBC was the stuff of the devil,

NBC is basically watered down acetic acid with colours and flavourings added, whereas malt vinegar is made from ale brewed with malted barley.

You can buy NBC from chip shops in the frozen wastes of the North and probably elsewhere too. It's not limited to the Smoke.

Jellied eels (yum) with malt vinegar (yuk)! Maybe you can buy it oop north nowdays but you couldn't even get NBC in Essex in 1984. When my mum and Dad moved to Hastings around 1995, they couldn’t get it anywhere, even in chip shops, I had to buy it from the greengrocers, two gallons at a time, and take it down to them. £1.50 a gallon it was. Water, acid and colouring is all it is.

FE02B7EC-34B7-4046-96C4-B87BE9538CC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds grim. Pie, mash & liquor is good though.
Don’t forget the stewed eels. You have to roll them round in your mouth and spit the bone out. (y)

Mrs Mottie won’t touch pie & mash either. Dead turtle covered with green snot!

Don’t forget the stewed eels. You have to roll them round in your mouth and spit the bone out. (y)

Mrs Mottie won’t touch pie & mash either. Dead turtle covered with green snot!

No, I like pie & mash. Eels sound grim though. Never had them though.

Alpen (groan). Had a bacon sarnie yesterday. Five rashers with cheese melted onto the bacon, between lightly buttered toast. Guess which one I preferred.

Had a bacon sarnie yesterday.

Bacon sarnies for lunch today. I always have sliced fried mushrooms in them and today I think I’ll also add a few slices of avocado too. (y)

Just had some more fish for brekkie this morning. A couple of grilled smoked mackerel fillets. Lush.

4 sausages, 3 rashes of bacon, 2 eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, black pudding, tomatoes, beans, 2 slices of fried halloumi, 2 fried slices and chips. Lashings of brown sauce and ketchup. Mug of builders tea with 4 sugars.
Weetabix.You never eat all that Eddie you pulling my leg.

Just for Bodd.

Weetabix, ‘narna, grapes, yesterday’s half-priced raspberries and some runny 'unny. :mrgreen:

BCA33F16-297D-4234-8B24-2F9F86D60F7A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back