What are you having for breakfast?

Sponsored Links
I have to get my toaster up to heat before I pop my bread in. That’s how I get it crispy on the outside and soft and fresh on the inside - after cooling. Mrs Mottie however, pops the bread into a cold toaster then switches it on. Result - toast that is dried right through. No, no, no!
Use unsliced bread, cut the slices nice and thick, freeze, and toast from frozen. Guaranteed to still be soft on the inside when toasted on the outside.

Sponsored Links

Nonsense.

This is quite clearly toast, not fried bread.

upload_2021-5-19_23-33-25.png

I cannot bear cold toast. I stand by the toaster and do one slice at a time and eat it there and then.
Toast to me is crispy. If it's not crispy it's not toast, it's sog. I can eat hot toast as long as it doesn't go completely soggy with toppings.

Autocorrect strikes again...

Last edited:
Probably a better world for people liking different things.

Toast to me is crispy. If it's not crispy it's not toast, it's sog.
Toast to me is hot. If its not hot its not toast, its crispbread. :)

But surely when your toast goes cold its less crispy overall? I find that because the interior is still soft and moist, overall it goes chewy and loses the crispness on the surface when it gets cold.

I can eat hot toast as long as it doesn't go completely soggy with toppings.
If I have jam, marmalade, etc I dont have any grease underneath, so it doesnt tend to go soggy.

That said, I do love it with butter which has melted into the bread on account of it being hot. Or even better, a bit of real dripping from the top of the jellied juices from last nights meat.

I have been known, when using a grill instead of a toaster, and the butter is cold, to slice it thinly onto the toast and pop it back under the grill for a few seconds... :unsure:

No, because I toast my bread slowly so it is crispy all the way through, even when cold.

I find it hard to judge the right amount of Bovril to put on the knife. Too little and you have to get a clean knife for a second go, or risk butter and crumbs getting in the jar, too much and it runs off (or through, with sourdough sometimes).

BTW - you want to watch out for secure - when youre out at work he might come over, sniffing around your wifes toast. :sneaky:

I find it hard to judge the right amount of Bovril to put on the knife. Too little and you have to get a clean knife for a second go, or risk butter and crumbs getting in the jar, too much and it runs off (or through, with sourdough sometimes).
Tut tut! totally uncivilised! Use a spoon in the jar.
I bet you get coffee granules in the sugar as well. :eek:

The coffee/sugar analogy doesnt make sense. When I use a knife in the Bovril jar it is a clean one. The problem I outlined arises when a second dip turns out to be needed.

Sponsored Links
Back