What are you having for breakfast?

Sponsored Links
Scrambled eggs. Not any old eggs but corn fed golden yoke eggs.

BDE7C96C-944A-44BA-829C-2951F891BEA9.jpeg

Scrambled eggs on toast again but with a few fried tomatoes on top.

6E77C9E7-628F-4BB0-AAC5-23E5D7C8ED39.jpeg

Getting a bit fed up with tomatoes. Hey, @Notch7, you should come up here and take some eggs and toms back with you - you'd make a killing round your manor where (according to you) they've not seen an egg or a tomato since Christmas. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve still got these to use up before tomorrows weekly food shop. If they haven’t been used by then, Mrs Mottie will bin them and buy fresh again! :evil:

F3F8DF6E-8959-42C2-9655-8F8A5F5F7918.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I’ve still got these to use up before tomorrows weekly food shop. If they haven’t been used by then, Mrs Mottie will bin them and buy fresh again! :evil:
Have you ever thought how much you could save if you didn't throw all this food away?
I'm quite proud of the fact that I try to throw the bare minimum of food in the green bin.

I have never taken any note of dates on food, but follow the steps that I'm sure everyone has done until the introduction of dates on food.

Look: does it look OK?
Sniff: does it smell OK?

If the food passes these first two tests, then it's probably fine, so then

Taste: does it taste OK?
If so, scoff it!

It seems silly to chuck stuff away just because it's past its date.

I get the odd lettuce leaf that starts going brown or a manky cucumber end, sometimes soggy carrot, but all these bits get removed and the rest is edible.

I have set friends a challenge in the past. I tell them to use the above steps to decide if the food is still edible.

Then I tell them to make a list of all the food they have saved from the bin.
At the end of each week, I tell them to tot up the cost of all the items saved, then put that amount in a jar.

At the end of a couple of months, you'd be surprised how much you save.

Then you pay it into the Grandkids' savings accounts!

I had some carrots, spuds and greens left over from yesterdays roast so I bubbled them up and had them as part of a fried veggie breakfast. That’s my 5-a-day covered in just one meal. :giggle:

1F9F1A22-4084-412E-96DA-8B8124E6169B.jpeg

Harvested two asparagus spears and a handful of chives - I’ll make something for breakfast with them tomorrow

A brace of poached eggs on toasted muffins with an asparagus and chive topping. Delish. :giggle:

CE2D5041-756A-437A-9CDD-A325610E3F09.jpeg

Fridge clearout/shopping day breakfast. One tomato, two mushrooms, three eggs. Grilled the tomato and mushrooms, scrambled the eggs up with the last of some soured cream and Parmesan cheese. Not bad. (y)

A46F4DCF-BBF4-4DA1-B472-8B31FD606AE3.jpeg

I went over the allotment yesterday and picked a few ingredients for todays breakfast. Chives and asparagus. Plan was Scrambled eggs on toast with chopped chives for Mrs Mottie and poached eggs on toast with chopped chives and asparagus for me. All on fresh, home made bread of course. Didn’t quite happen - I forgot to put the breadmaker on last night and Mrs Mottie refused scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast saying ‘it’s a meal' so she had her usual one and a half weetabix plus a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon. She's having the scrambled eggs for lunch.

I had to make do with the last slice of bread and the crust!

IMG_4884.jpeg

When I used to go to college for my apprenticeship, in the canteen I saw two non-white students fight over a sandwich made with the crusts!

Step grandson, would always leave the crust of a sandwich on the plate, un-eaten. I don't mind a toasted crust occasionally, but mostly they go in the bin.

Mine usually go out for the birds. Only one of them went for the birds this morning though.

Sponsored Links
Back