What are you having for breakfast?

Granola, dried apricots, raisins, and cranberries, with natural yoghurt and honey.

Or, as my mates say, sugar bombs, soured milk, and bee vomit :unsure:

Sponsored Links
You're meant to switch the air fryer on :sick:
Lol. I see what you mean. I normally tun the bacon halfway through but this morning I had the toms on top so didn’t bother. I can assure you it was cooked through and a fair few shades darker in the other side of the bacon.

Can I ask what is the best margarine for toast. I had the best toast ever with breakfast at Manchester airport in the seventies and never forgot the taste. ‘What margarine would they have used?’ I doubt it would have been butter.
Dunno. Flora isn’t actually margarine, it’s a spread. I think margarine had to have a similar amount of fat in it to butter to be called margarine. Can you still buy margarine these days?

Dunno. Flora isn’t actually margarine, it’s a spread. I think margarine had to have a similar amount of fat in it to butter to be called margarine. Can you still buy margarine these days?
I thought spread and margarine were same thing.

Sponsored Links
Lol. I see what you mean. I normally tun the bacon halfway through but this morning I had the toms on top so didn’t bother. I can assure you it was cooked through and a fair few shades darker in the other side of the bacon.

We were at it fairly early, taking advantage of the little bit of dry weather today, to finish the summerhouse roof off. All done and bolted down at long last, it's been a marathon, doing it in the spells of dry. The squirrels are in for a surprise, next time they jump from the tree, onto the slippy, slidy new roof.

After which, I left her ladyship out in the garden, putting a border in. A few minutes doze, in a comfortable chair, and I decided we both deserved a cooked breakfast. Sausage, bacon (cooked properly, until slightly crisp), those triangular potato things, and tinned tomatoes for me - she doesn't like tinned toms, nor beans.

For dinner, later, when she gets home from work, we are having roast pulled pork, in BBQ sauce, baked potatoes and a salad. The pork was left over from yesterday's Sunday lunch.

Can I ask what is the best margarine for toast. I had the best toast ever with breakfast at Manchester airport in the seventies and never forgot the taste. ‘What margarine would they have used?’ I doubt it would have been butter.
I have no idea.

Margerines in the 70s were a very different animal (literally) to what they are today.

Summer County used to be made with whale.
Others used suet, tallow and lard.

Nowadays they are all made with vegetable fats. Some contain palm oil which, like animal fat, is saturated.
Some also contain buttermilk to give a dairy-like taste.

Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, whereas unsat fats are liquid.

Manufacturers like to use saturated fats to give a more solid product that can be rubbed in (IE cakes and crumbles) rather than a spreadable texture.

This solidity used to be artificially achieved by the chemical process of hydrogenation which is frowned upon nowadays as these processed fats have been discovered to lower the good cholesterol (High Density Lipoprotein or HDL) and raise the bad cholesterol (Low Density Lipoprotein or LDL) in the body.

HDL picks up the bad cholesterol in the bloodstream and carries it back to the liver. Too much LDL in your bloodstream leads to plaque and build-up forming in your arteries and will eventually begin to block them.

These products don't seem to be called margarines any more, but are split into two categories: spreads and blocks, the latter often being packaged like butter.

The 80% fat rule seems to have been dropped, as some have less. Stork is 75% and Willow 77%.

Margerine needs a minimum of 80% fat, but I have not seen any products out there with that level of fat.

Also dropped is the requirement for fortification with vitamins A and D.

I have no idea.

Margerines in the 70s were a very different animal (literally) to what they are today.

Summer County used to be made with whale.
Others used suet, tallow and lard.

Nowadays they are all made with vegetable fats. Some contain palm oil which, like animal fat, is saturated.
Some also contain buttermilk to give a dairy-like taste.

Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, whereas unsat fats are liquid.

Manufacturers like to use saturated fats to give a more solid product that can be rubbed in (IE cakes and crumbles) rather than a spreadable texture.

This solidity used to be artificially achieved by the chemical process of hydrogenation which is frowned upon nowadays as these processed fats have been discovered to lower the good cholesterol (High Density Lipoprotein or HDL) and raise the bad cholesterol (Low Density Lipoprotein or LDL) in the body.

HDL picks up the bad cholesterol in the bloodstream and carries it back to the liver. Too much LDL in your bloodstream leads to plaque and build-up forming in your arteries and will eventually begin to block them.

These products don't seem to be called margarines any more, but are split into two categories: spreads and blocks, the latter often being packaged like butter.

The 80% fat rule seems to have been dropped, as some have less. Stork is 75% and Willow 77%.

Margerine needs a minimum of 80% fat, but I have not seen any products out there with that level of fat.

Also dropped is the requirement for fortification with vitamins A and D.

Still a spread but for cooking and baking.
You know I tried Stork, because I know it was a popular marg then, although I can’t remember it as a spread; it was for baking like you say. The taste was close , but it was hard to spread on the toast. Also, I can’t see an airport cafeteria in economy lounge buying branded spread; the more I think about it, the more likely it was some cheap any old spread.

Sponsored Links
Back