Which alarm bell box to get, is ADT a good one? :)

Which has been pointed out time and time again to the antagonizer here.
A non registered person fitting to a "standard" proving provenance of the equipment can have it taken over by a regulated company at the grade stated.

A Yale system cannot, you buy one and need ot graded at a later date you buy a new system, full stop no argument.
Something I feel is never mentioned here enough.

Sponsored Links
Which has been pointed out time and time again to the antagonizer here.
A non registered person fitting to a "standard" proving provenance of the equipment can have it taken over by a regulated company at the grade stated.

A Yale system cannot, you buy one and need ot graded at a later date you buy a new system, full stop no argument.
Something I feel is never mentioned here enough.

.... but the grade does not apply UNTIL it has been taken over by an approved company and nor does insurance approval.

.... but the grade does not apply UNTIL it has been taken over by an approved company and nor does insurance approval.

Which was explained before, you really are starting to look like an amateur. Which you did say earlier in this thread.

Insurance approval is dependent on the insurers and the policy purchased.
But your just arguing semantics now as you have nothing useful to contribute to this anymore.

I am failing to understand your new position on this matter.
Historically you have villified non approved installers asking on here for installation advice including sparkies etc insinuating they had no place doing the job if they weren't approved but here you go all out to defend just such an outfit even when they are working with illegal staff. You seem to have gone all political taking up any position just as long as it conflicts with mine even if it contradicts your previous position on other matters.

You need to think a bit longer about where you want to position your arguments to maintain your integrity.

At least I can maintain my position whether right wrong or indifferent.

You however are beginning to look like a third rate politician with a tenuous position at the polls.

Sponsored Links
I have never said anything about being unapproved. Go back and find where that is said. My stance is and has always been do not fit cheap tat. I need not say anymore on that you know exactly what I mean. Also it is sometimes better to have people understand what they are trying to do rather than blindly follow instructions, as such most of my advice is not giving the total answer. Getting the OP to think about it makes them understand a little better.
So nothing changes.
As does your butting into systems you know nothing about. At least I took time to read the Yale manuals so I could see what was happening in most cases and after seeing what is going on it reinforces my opinion of them and your attitude.

You do now look like an amateur which you have professed to be from your latest drivel.

First post so be kind.

Although your list of equipment clearly impresses people on here, I fail to see how that would make your home less likely to be broken into than mine with a DIY (off the shelf) alarm system. I know nothing about systems and am in the process of moving so have started looking for a new system to fit.

Can you give me the reasons a pro install is so much better than a self install please?

Many thanks

Ray

the way we do it with clients who want to fit there own is this;

if you have a fault with your alarm, that you fitted, go to the mirror and shout at the installer!!!!

if you have a fault with your alarm ssytem fitted by us, or any other pro installer, you call the service number, quote you site ID and pass word, we (and others) arrange to visit your site and fix it.!!

Simples really

Oasis

and we will maintain your ssytem, issue the approved documentation etc etc etc, (and we know what we are doing when it comes to intruder alarms!! as its what we do every day of our working lives)

That sounds fair enough in terms of aftersales and maintanance. But what I was really looking for, is what makes a home with a pro install less likely to be broken into than a house with a cheapy circa £250 DIY system. I understand they have links to ARC's, owners mobiles, etc etc but surely most burglaries are quick smash and grab jobs, where the scumbags simply grab what they can and our out within minutes. So I'm guessing by the time the ARC operator has informed the police etc the bad guy has left.

That sounds fair enough in terms of aftersales and maintanance. But what I was really looking for, is what makes a home with a pro install less likely to be broken into than a house with a cheapy circa £250 DIY system. I understand they have links to ARC's, owners mobiles, etc etc but surely most burglaries are quick smash and grab jobs, where the scumbags simply grab what they can and our out within minutes. So I'm guessing by the time the ARC operator has informed the police etc the bad guy has left.

Its horses for courses Ray. Some people take their car to a garage to be serviced, some people do it themselves. It is down to competence, budget and inclination.

But can I also add to that, knowledge is a key ingredient. Don't assume everything will go according to plan - that is when we come running to the forum seeking help and advice from these experts, who fortunately for the likes of you and I, they are only too willing to help us amateurs with - SOMETHING WE SHOULD BE REALLY GRATEFUL FOR.

By all means mate, I am in no way saying anything bad against the pros on this site. Having only joined the site this morning the last thing I want to do is step on toes. I am simply looking for a balanced and non biased opinion between pro install and DIY job for a standard 4 bed house. However, I have noticed that a couple of the 'pros' simply abuse anyone who mentions 'off the shelf systems'. Is this purely because they do not work with them, or are the DIY systems that inadequete that it is simply not worth having?

you can get some good equipment from securitywarehouse (sorry have not got there full address!

and you can do the job yourself.

the basic system comprises of the following
main panel, or end station, (big box with all connections, batter etc)
keypad or two depends what you want/need
door conatct, fron t and back door
PIR sensors for the lower hallway
lounge, dining room, kitchen etc
external sire, obvious
internal speaker / siren
and cable

or you can go the wireless way, but i cannot reccomend any of the DIY ones as they dont conform to what would fit, its a pro thing, if you want to fit a yale, go for it, i dont know anything about it other than we wont fit it(not allowed to anyway, as a registered firm i cannot)

but they obviously work, as there are enough of them about!!

if you want to do wireless, some of the other engineers will point you in the right direction, other than that, have fun fitting it yourself, take your time running the cable, and LABLE everthing in the panel, and get the biggest battery posiible not the smallest!

hope this helps

Oasis

you can get some good equipment from securitywarehouse (sorry have not got there full address!

and you can do the job yourself.

the basic system comprises of the following
main panel, or end station, (big box with all connections, batter etc)
keypad or two depends what you want/need
door conatct, fron t and back door
PIR sensors for the lower hallway
lounge, dining room, kitchen etc
external sire, obvious
internal speaker / siren
and cable

or you can go the wireless way, but i cannot reccomend any of the DIY ones as they dont conform to what would fit, its a pro thing, if you want to fit a yale, go for it, i dont know anything about it other than we wont fit it(not allowed to anyway, as a registered firm i cannot)

but they obviously work, as there are enough of them about!!

if you want to do wireless, some of the other engineers will point you in the right direction, other than that, have fun fitting it yourself, take your time running the cable, and LABLE everthing in the panel, and get the biggest battery posiible not the smallest!

hope this helps

Oasis

To be honest, I will be looking at a wired install. I am running cat6 throughout the house so would be mad not to. Is there any concerns with interference running alarm cabling in close prox to network cables? Due to lower power I wouldn't have thought so but better ask.

I am not concerned with material possessions in my house, the only unreplaceable items are my wife and two babies which is what I need to protect.

My mate works for secom but everything he suggested seems a little overkill ;0)

you can run your aalrm cable with Cat5 without any problems as its class 3 cabling (SELV) so no probs there.

so you mate works for Secom, i suppose he would go for a Galaxy G2 or GD 48, well to be honest if you had one of those fitted you would never need another alarm!!

we only fit G2 and GD range of Galaxy panels, they are a pro system , but very easy for the client to use!!!

so if you can run all the cabling and he can supply you with the kit, go for it, i would, get him to program the system, as a pro installer it wont take him long to do it!!

Oasis

Agreed, if you go the Honeywell way get him to program as not knowing it you can and will get lost and they DO NOT provide a manual.

Some here "Step on toes" as other make out the cheap stuff is great. Well if you want a shed alarmed fine.
Next time your in a major DIY store or Screwfix or another such like see what they have fitted and it will be Honeywell. High end Texecom and or Castle to name a few.

Not however the stuff they sell on the shelves.

If you really want wireless go for Visonic, Texecom or Castle. The supplier mentioned can supply any of those systems.
If you keep proof of all serial numbers and receipts and the installation is to standard it is good it can be "taken" over for Police response at a latter date.

Not the other DIY equipment mentioned.

Bigray. I've fitted over 1000 home alarms personally and so far none have ever been broken into. I use standard Texecom R8's. Don't let the 'big men' fool you - it's nothing but an elaborate automatic doorbell and anyone with decent DIY skills can fit them and they'll work first time and never play up.

Security warehouse do good deals.

if you have a problem during your install - just 'holler'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back