who does not speed

as a regular poker player i travel up and down the motorways and yes i speed, most of my driving tho is in the wee hours and not a great deal of traffic around, mainly lorries, but the real problem i see there is middle lane drivers, but thats a diff story, but as a father i think the 20 mph around schools is good, also the new points system seems to be a crock of ****e

Sponsored Links
There's no point exceeding speed limits if you're going to worry yourself sick about the consequences ... Stick to the limits and delay the coronary :LOL:

If you don't give a toss however ... Speed with impunity.

MW

Sponsored Links
I'm not allowed to exceed the speed limit and the left lane is full of lorries - so what should I do? (other than catch the train) :LOL:

There are already higher penalties for grossly exceeding the speed limit by more than a certain margin. Within that margin, you currently get 3 points.

The new proposals introduce a new intermediate margin and a new lower margin. Thus the punishment is better tailored to the severity of the offence. Break the limit by a small amount and you will only get 2 points instead of 3. Break the limit by a large amount and you will 6 points. Go crazy and you still risk more even points and/or a ban.

Blondin on 3 points. Would still have been 3 points under the new proposals but I am more careful now.

Yes, I have also exceeded the speed limit in the past, and I admit I still do on motorways when there is a clear road ahead. However, I don't speed in built up areas at all, and it really annoys me when other people do - you never know what's around the corner, could be horses where I live, or kids, dogs, etc. My partner rides a powerful motorbike (for pleasure) but when he is driving, he sets the cruise control to make sure he doesn't go over the speed limit, especially in towns and villages where it's 30 or 40mph. We live on a busy road and have witness two deaths in the past year, due to people driving too fast and not taking road conditions and other hazards into consideration. Drivers who exceed the speed limit in this way are selfish and arogant, they think they own the road and that no-one else matters. I also think that people are in such a rush these days, always under pressure to be somewhere and don't allow enough time for delays due to heavy traffic etc. I agree that fines are not the answer, but I think temporary driving bans are a good idea, with compulsory attendance on a safe driving course, as is the case with drink-drive offenders who are offered the option of a reduced ban for attending an alcohol awareness course. :rolleyes:

ive never had a speeding ticket but i honestly dont know how.
i own two big motorbikes and would use them on any journey where it is practical as opposed to a car, no matter the distance.

the bike will shorten any journey time because traffic does not slow you down but i noticed that on a run from london to blackburn i used a third more petrol.
i had to get off the m/way at brum to fill up. that cost me so much/long in time. i worked out that i could have stuck to my usual 95 ish and arrived in the same time because of petrol delay. (a bike doesnt have a fuel gauge)

i hit 100mph every time i take that bike out and any suggestion that i dont take care does not apply because you will end up dead.

i was a fireman and could drive the machines.
i was taught to drive lorries by the brigade in an army like fashion.
we were asked;as part of the course, to estimate how long it would take to get somewhere. we always bettered the times i gave and we were not allowed over 30mph. one time i even drove past my house but we were still quicker than my estimate.
my point is that they taught us to hang back a little and never to force the issue, to be courteous and to look much further ahead than most people would.
i was amazed at how easy it all became.
the result now is that i never push with the car, i dont get that stressed (i used to be really bad) and i get where im going.
i firmly believe that i might lose a minute or two but i wont lose more than five over the same type of journey.
it works, no cussing and no bother. try it. ;)

cars are too fast, comfortable and mostly;quiet. we drive to their capabilities which are much higher than ours. and we've got too much going on (phones radio fiddling sat nav and sat nav screens where you can watch the tele or playstation from the front seat).

if we do a long journey and average 60mph then we've done well. why have a 150mph car!

when you've cleaned up after accidents you are forced to think about it..

So you've never seen a motor bike come to grief because he was overtaking cars at 100mph when the cars on the road thought he was doing about 80mph and simply pulled across in front of him? Isn't it true that the helmet protects the head which then detaches from the body and rolls down the motorway?

Oh and why do you need a car that does twice the maximum speed limit?
You must have a heck of an ego problem.

Why do people speed,what do they do with the few extra minutes they have supposed to have gained by speeding.When i am on my day shift i get overtaken about a mile from the factory regulary from a day shift engineer going to the same factory when i see him i ask what is so exciting about your job that you need to get there so quick his reply is unprintable.On top of that he is a proper a*****e.

some of us are adrenalin junkies joe!

i know i am.some people like to exploit the difference between merely steering a car or bike round corners and want to use them to actually drive/ride them.as long as we only risk hurting ourselves,whats the problem,dont speed in built up areas though.

step out of your comfort zone once in a while,do something that could kill you,(doesnt have to be driving)you never know you may start to feel alive.

That's fine. Join a racing club. If you kill yourself then that's all fine and dandy. As long as you've no wife and kids to grieve your passing - do what you like.

Yeah, I also like doing scary things occasionally, which is why I had a great time when my family treated me to a track day for my 45th birthday! I also like to ski fast, but as with driving, I think you should consider other people as well as yourself, not least those you may leave behind if the worst happens. If you want to get a real adrenaline rush, why not do a bungee jump or go abseiling at the weekends? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back