Why is gas boiler installation so costly?

3 days for a combi to combi swap agile?

:confused:

As power flushimg can take five hours thats most of a day.

Balancing can take two hours!

Doing the job properly without rushing takes time!

OK, if I rushed it then I could also do it on a day but I would not sleep well for a week!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile .
Power flushing 5 hours ?? are you charging every customer for a powerflush in your 840 quid without doing a water test ??.
WHY would a previously properly fitted combi system need a powerflush on a changeover.
Also i guess it takes time to come onto a diy forum and ask basic questions such as how to hang a boiler so i could see why your installations run into 3 days.

Combi changeover not new install
Love it how slow as **** numptys say it cant be done in a day.
Boiler can be off the wall new one on and piped up in couple of hours leaving rest of day to flush/setup and and alter gas/condensate etc.
And i dont count you in that Dan

I EXPECT to make £750 from a boiler swap. So does the taxman!

You are paying for my knowledge and experience. If you think I overcharge, how can you justify a Legal secretary's wages? £40k plus for a typist who can spell a few legal terms and knowing where the correct forms are? Or a licencesd taxi driver? He only drives a car! Ok he knows a few roads as well.

Sponsored Links
Around here I will rip an old combi off the wall and put you a nice
new 30kw combi on the wall for £900 all in.

A quote for £2000 around where I live would be shown the door
straight away. They are all broke around here.

Not a bad price if non of the boxes are ticked, the money goes into back pocket and no intention of going back to fix and follow up faults. It can only be rip existing off and connect new on, collect the dough and get on the horse and ride into the sunset

Being a proper registered gas installer is one of the most expensive occupations to be in. It never use to be like that. The more checks and balances to authourities put on us the worse it gets.
The media, like yourself play on it and so all the wanabees think thats a good crack to get into but never see all the "back room costs".
As I said it never use to be like that.

I lot of proper RGIs down here are gettig out of the sector. I see the same happening with Renewables

The OP is speaking about a friend's quote and not his own. So he may not be aware of all the factors. He also seems to think it can be installed properly in one day.

Many houses in that area are made of thick granite walls! If the existing flue hole can be used then fine but drilling through granite is very time consuming.

Tony

assuming a day starts at 8am and finishes at 6pm then a combi to combi swap would easily be done properly in a day! probably with 3 or 4 hours to spare!

The OP is speaking about a friend's quote and not his own. So he may not be aware of all the factors. He also seems to think it can be installed properly in one day.

Many houses in that area are made of thick granite walls! If the existing flue hole can be used then fine but drilling through granite is very time consuming.

Tony

A very good point Tony, as someone that's cut granite walls for flues many times, I can assure you it's not like some poofy English bricks, it's as hard as a wh.res heart!!

I've said it many times before, there's lots of work in the Aberdeen area & any installer worth his salt will let his prices reflect that. I wish we could get Aberdeen prices here in Glasgow............ :eek:

One of our chaps does combi swops on a 'job n finish' basis & he's finished most days by 3.00pm. First class workmanship, systems as clean as Nun's knickers, all paperwork done & dusted.

Abbilty, knowledge & speed is what this trade is all about. But hey I'd love a job with you Tony, three days at London rates.............£££££

Abbilty, knowledge & speed is what this trade is all about. But hey I'd love a job with you Tony, three days at London rates.............£££££

Speed yes , knowledge? , any fool can install a boiler and spec/install gas runs , commisioning? any fool with a FGA can do it. :p

assuming a day starts at 8am and finishes at 6pm then a combi to combi swap would easily be done properly in a day! probably with 3 or 4 hours to spare!

Arrive at 9am.
Rip boiler off wall and put new boiler and flue through wall.
Should have that easily done by 12.
Then it's just piping.
If they are nicely arranged 1-2 hour should be done by 2. If not by 3pm.
Fill it up and do some mains flushing until I am happy while having
tea and biscuits. Complete paperwork and packup. Off by 4 or 5pm.
And I am quite slow. So completes a landlord boiler swap.
Can do them in my sleep.

Speed yes , knowledge? , any fool can install a boiler and spec/install gas runs , commisioning? any fool with a FGA can do it. :p

100% agree GW, fitting a combi is not rocket science. Speed is & always has been a major factor in making a profit on any installation work.
That's why any CC/CCC is useless as a squad of two doing a combi & six radiators in one day.

I think it's time to open another wee branch in Aberdeen, I hear the sheep are very friendly............Baaaaaahhhhhh!!!!....... :LOL: :LOL:

OP, your either clueless as to how the real world works, a wind up merchant, or jealous.

Makes me friggen laff when people bitch about our perceived ' wages'.

Do you get sick pay from your employer?

Do you get holiday pay from them?

You do? well guess what , we self employed people dont unless we charge what we charge.

At least we can argue that you need a STACK and I mean a STACK of tools and equipment to do our job.

Yet people would think of nothing to pay the likes of Anglian / Everest to replace their windows in their nice 1930's semi at about £8K a pop when the materials no more than £2K

NOW THATS FEKIN MARK UP :rolleyes:

, a solicitor. Or, am I missing some other costs?

When did you last use a solicitor mate? It certainly wasn't to help you write this post.

My solicitor friend charges in an hour what most gas engineers charge for a day.

Get yourself to college, learn how to do it, pay for your assessment, reassessment, gas safe, van, tools, insurance, fuel,etc, time on free quotes, then you can accurately comment on the going rate.

P.s, as a gauge, how much was your telly? Bet you didn't think twice about spending £2k on a box to melt your cerebral cortex, but when it comes to a boiler (that keeps you warm and clean, basic human necessities) you want it free, with a cherry on top. You are like my friends pony, blinkered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back