Why is gas boiler installation so costly?

Sponsored Links
How is he an idiot ???? He knows his market knows that the tight arses in his area wont spend anymore.
He works 5 days and makes more than you for same hours .
Now are you not the guy who was working 70 hours a week during the winter lining someone elses pockets a lot would say thats idiotic

why dont you install one then me old mucker??
got yer powerflush?
can you calculate the right gas pipe size required for it?
do you know what size gas pipe will fit which model?
building regs?
can you use your fga to analyze that the combustion is safe and not going to kill someone.?
hows your electrics knowledge wiring up your programmer or stat ifm indeed they are compatiable .

you are a tit me old mucker. go down to bbq install one in your house.

Sponsored Links
For a cheap skate landlord I can do a combi swap in a day for£1000. However there will be little guarantee apart from they will need to throw money at it later... But I tell them this and they are ok about it.
As for doing a proper job, set up correctly, flushed clean properly, with a decent boiler and all the paperwork filled in correctly. A must and takes extra time if you want that 5year or whatever warranty.
You are talking 2 days providing everything goes well. So yes I would send a quote for 2.5-3 days coz no one pays more if something takes longer. Oh and no one mentioned electrics, either pay a spark to do it or you have to do those courses and pay for those quals as well.
£2500 no probs. and that's for a simple one. You should spend a little time with your installer, have a chat with him and suss out if you are getting a proper job or a cowboy after a big payout.

Around here I will rip an old combi off the wall and put you a nice
new 30kw combi on the wall for £900 all in.

A quote for £2000 around where I live would be shown the door
straight away. They are all broke around here.

That is laughable, 900 pound, bet you are fitting a good boiler and doing a cracking job for that, registered by any chance??? Insured???? You might as well get a job as a labourer for that

To be a customer paying that for a job, you must deal with landlords, chep skates and just the plain stupid

------------------
That is laughable, 900 pound, bet you are fitting a good boiler and doing a cracking job for that, registered by any chance??? Insured???? You might as well get a job as a labourer for that

To be a customer paying that for a job, you must deal with landlords, chep skates and just the plain stupid
--------------

Ahh I see you've met some of my customers then. :D

Friend was quoted around £2500-3000 to replace a gas combi boiler. This actually seems to be a typical price for the job.

Yet, gas combis with concentric flues range from £400 to £800 at wholesalers, depending on quality and output.

The job hardly looks that difficult, the only major issue being if the flue needed relocating such that a new hole has to be made in the wall. I'm told that a day should be the most it would take. In fact, if it wasn't gas I'd gladly do the job but I'm not a gasfitter.

Even allowing for a markup on sourcing the boiler, it seems that the labour rates being charged here are way in excess of those charged by that most expensive of professions, a solicitor. Or, am I missing some other costs?

the other costs you are missing are the copious amounts of money us gas fitters need to spend on alcohol to drink away the thoughts and memories of people who go on about how 'plumbers/gas fitters charge so much'....and usually those very same people have no worries about spending +£350 quid for some spotty nosed 16yr old apprenctice to service their car at the 'main dealer' because that very same motor car sits on the drive and looks swish!

bunch of anus's that deserve everything they get when they allow the lowest priced idiot fit the piece of junk boiler they brought online to try and 'save a few pounds'.

try that rubbish in germany, average install cost there is +15000 euro!!

have to say to all the knobs who decry the guy for doing £900 boiler swap we all have to know our customer base and it would be really good to be able to get london rates but if we all move to london to charge what the london based fitters charge your prices would have to drop.
you guys dont know whta its like to try and run a business in areas where very high unemployment means ppl with limited budget still need to keep themselves and their children warm so get real and thank your lucky stars you have customer base with disposable income

peekay53

have to say to all the knobs who decry the guy for doing £900 boiler swap we all have to know our customer base and it would be really good to be able to get london rates but if we all move to london to charge what the london based fitters charge your prices would have to drop.
you guys dont know whta its like to try and run a business in areas where very high unemployment means ppl with limited budget still need to keep themselves and their children warm so get real and thank your lucky stars you have customer base with disposable income

peekay53
I have no problem with him charging 900 aslant as he is not unregistered, and is not telling the customer he is doing the same job as the guy charging 2000 or 3000 when in fact he is doing nothing close to

Dearie me, seems to be a few 'sparkies revenge' threads about at the moment doesn't there?

I suppose we can't blame them - If I'd finished a three year apprenticeship (or four day course) and finally become qualified to find that I could only earn £8/hour I think I'd be bitter and twisted too ;)

well ollie20 you have to be to be registered to be on cc and so what makes you think the £900 boilerman is illegal cos really we should be sure of our facts before we accuse ppl of crimes

well ollie20 you have to be to be registered to be on cc and so what makes you think the £900 boilerman is illegal cos really we should be sure of our facts before we accuse ppl of crimes

I'm perfectly legal with all the bells and whistles

What concerns me more. Is the jobs that people around me do
where they have done a very poor job and charged the poor customer
an arm and a leg for. They are legal too. Although you would
never guess it from the jobs I get called out to sort out.

I am saying a lot of unregistered guys do cheap jobs and make out to the customer they're giving them the same as the guy who quoted a better boiler a gas run, a power flush, fits the boiler so it comply's with all the regs, not just where is easiest regardless

The rest obviously stands to a lot of cheap jobs

Yes in you are in the CC, then it's as good a your A.C.S. certificate, I will show it at my next interview

I'm not saying you or anyone else is not registered I'm talking about jobs that I come across

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back