Why is gas boiler installation so costly?

Does the £900 include trv's, cleanser and inhibitor because that must eat into the profit margin?

To be fair, the guy knows his market, and if he's happy with it, then he is happy with it.

Sponsored Links
I'm curious..... How many of you have actually had to swap a boiler where it is straight off the wall and the new one straight back on..... I have never ever been to price this senario.... At the very least I have had to price for the upgrade of controls and gas supply.

As for the £900 install, well I guess that if the customer hasn't got the cash, then you have to cut your coat to suit your cloth.... If the choice is lose the job or fit a cheapie and make a little, then I guess that it is paying the mortgage that counts.... I'm lucky that I can state the price that I want and that's it..... Some will laugh like drains when they see my quote, others will be fortunate enough to be able to afford a good and lasting installation with good controls

Does the £900 include trv's, cleanser and inhibitor because that must eat into the profit margin?

To be fair, the guy knows his market, and if he's happy with it, then he is happy with it.

TRV's, cleanser. Nope.
Boiler off wall. Boiler on wall. Flush with water. That is all they get.
No wall thermostat. Inhibitor yes.
I advise customer. But at the end of the day it is their money.
£900 is my foot in the door negotiating position. They can go upwards.
I will put in any all singing dancing boiler they want.
I have the feeling the whole town I live in are on benefits.

I did a swap last week same boiler. Reused existing per plumbing jig, meter below boiler 2 mtr 22mm gas changed flue (just to be safe) trvs on rads already and fitted rf prog room stat. Quick flush ;) And chems in all good. Every so often you get a break.

Sponsored Links
I do however prefer my commercial installs. All the time you need with all the kit you like. With a bit of time you can make a plant room look really pretty :D

hey ollie20 you can cut out the smartarse comments i will show my quals and public liability insurance and my gas safe reg to anyone i was not defending myself about being registered ppl like you who are first to accuse everyone else are usually th ones who are not and if 900 is all there is to spend and ppl have no more then what do you do walk away from money well i am afraid in low employment areas money is a little scarce

SCREAM

don't know what else to say other than.....

It's not your house or boiler do why ate you sticking your nose in and if you can do it yourself crack no one gives a **** kill your friends or not who knows
It cost what it cost if you don't like it don't pay it

Cheapest combi swap I've ever done was £2000 inc vat And that was a straight swap for a friend

In my opinion you cannot properly fit a boiler in a day if you can then fine but your not in my market place

hey ollie20 you can cut out the smartarse comments i will show my quals and public liability insurance and my gas safe reg to anyone i was not defending myself about being registered ppl like you who are first to accuse everyone else are usually th ones who are not and if 900 is all there is to spend and ppl have no more then what do you do walk away from money well i am afraid in low employment areas money is a little scarce

:cool: :LOL: Haha, that's my opinion, and that's how it is, I've just said no problem with charging peanuts aslong as customer is told they are getting a **** poor boiler and basic system that isn't fitted to gas safety regs, manufacturers regs or building regs,but this is never the case, and they sure as **** don't say this is why I'm a thousand quid cheaper than your other quote, when cust is saying what a rip off merchant the other guy who quoted was

Work deprived areas, don't no a thing about them, haven't you seen where I'm from :confused:

3..2..1.. your back in the room.

get real lads, i went to look at a new merc today, someones got to help me pay for it.

Did straight swap system boiler today, got there 945 after Cambridge traffic, drained and new boiler on and piped inc flue and cement by 12. Pooped to b and q for electric bits ( boiler needed extra wire) all running by 130. F3 in for hour ( system 4 years old big extension and forgot to up size boiler ) flushed, documents, hoovered, balanced rads etc out door 415. Good money on that too plus I was £600 cheaper than next quote.

SCREAM

don't know what else to say other than.....

It's not your house or boiler do why ate you sticking your nose in and if you can do it yourself crack no one gives a s**t kill your friends or not who knows
It cost what it cost if you don't like it don't pay it

Cheapest combi swap I've ever done was £2000 inc vat And that was a straight swap for a friend

In my opinion you cannot properly fit a boiler in a day if you can then fine but your not in my market place

Disagree, in right instance with no power flush needed its very easy, Combi straight swap I've done in 5 hrs inc chemical clean on newish rads.

If power flush or system upgrade I allow 3 days

Guess these guys who think a combi swap cant be done in day are the guys who take 2 hours to service a back boiler /half hour to remove and replace rad valve on a drained system etc etc.
Stop fa#nnying around drinking tea and actually get on with the job f##k me its 4 screws and alter 6 pipes that are just where your working and add a bit of plastic.
A 500 quid boiler is no harder to fit than a 1000 quid one

As said, some areas of the country are most affluent than others, so prices are higher. It'll be no shock to anyone to know that some areas of any city can also vary in price. Again, as said most people with good business acumen will use their judgement when pricing up work.

A £900 combi swop can be done, but it's certainly done at a small profit margin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back