Why is gas boiler installation so costly?

Sponsored Links
I have come to realise that namsag is just a wind up merchant

I don't care what he thinks

I work in a family business that has an excellent reputation so I will be changing nothing

A boiler replacement can take 1 day and sometimes two , all depends on how much work is involved ie: whether you fit a hard wired stat or RF , condense run (not all are easy) , gas pipe upgrade , flueing , flush/no flush , nine times out of ten both L/S and W/H will need replacing and some CAN a bugger to get out etc etc , whether 1 day or two day not really being an issue as the price will reflect this , whether the customer wants you to do the job is another matter.

If the pipework is an abortion then add some extra time to cut back at floor level and repipe. :rolleyes:

Why all the bashing?

This is getting silly now..... Ffs it's possible to do a combi swap in a day legal and safe. It may not look the prettiest but safe n correct it is. It may even look ok ? It is also possible to make it last a few days if you are going to town on it powerflushing it, making the pipework look like its on show in an art gallery.
At the end of the day it's all about the customer and their budget.
As long as no one says they are doin the £3000 job for £1000 then who cares?

Sponsored Links
That's pretty much what I have been trying to say

Generally my customers budget is high so the job is done to the highest standard WITHOUT RIPPING PEOPLE OFF

If the budget is low then fine but they are not the jobs I do

Windup merchant not me what i do is give my customers the best service i can in as short a time as i physically and mentally can , middle of winter when its minus twelve out there my customers dont want to be watching me drinking tea and stopping for lunch while there sitting there freezing there nads off.
They want there boiler up and running as fast as possible thats why they pay my premuim prices.

And if that means i can get a job done in a day so be it i dont cut any corners.
Never had a warranty call in regards installation work .

So i have asked you do you refund the powerflush that according to one of your posts you think 500 quid is a reasonable cost that you have built into your price when the system is perfectly clean or do you regard this as a swing and F the customer.
Personally if i told the customer it was required and it wasn`t i would have no qualms in being honest and dropping the price

I would give a discount (not a refund as they havnt paid yet) if I felt the flush was unnessisary or it took less than 2 hours but I have had jobs where I have spent 10 hours and didn't charge extra

But as I said a chemical flush and fresh water flush of each circuit is a minimum requirement (2-3 hours min on average system)and my customers expect more than the minimum

earlier you listed a hot flush now your changing it to 3 hour fresh water flush eh firstly make your mind up secondly what chemical stays in a system that is be flushed with 3 hours with fresh water ,
At least make your argument constructive and consistent

Chemical flush each circuit
Fresh water flush each circuit
New boiler in
Hot flush (to remove flux)
****ing hell mate like I said can you read or do you just look at some of the words and make up whats in between

When did I say 3 hour fresh water flush
I said 2-3 hours min for a chemical AND frash water flush of each circuit and thats me just saying what the regs are and how long it would take

You are an absolute fool

Re chem flush. If existing system is running then I just put it in a couple of days before, if not I would either set up a pump to run round permenantly or if I had to I would put it in as I filled up and drain it out and put inhib next day or 2.

Gas 85 are you saying I'm giving poor value on a 1 day swap and not doing it properly, if so I'm offended, I'm quick and good, never had an issue, can knock out whole heat system in 3 days if I want. Job on Thursday was rads all 3 years old, all with trvs, new santon unvented, used old flue hole and discharge, condense straight under teed into waste, spirotech mb3 and Viessmann 30kw system ( hardly bottom range) 2 lots of f3 and x100 had to re wire as no perm live, as said started at 930 cleared up at 4, don't get me wrong I didn't stop and was buggered but had a nice day off for baby photo shoot today plus customers said never worked so well and as she has 3 weeks till baby arrives for her was delighted it was all done quick, but hey I'll get back on my horse and ride off with my bottom rung customer in a 750k house, just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done

Job this week that gas85 would take a week over .
Baxi 531 in so remove fit baxi solo in its place so brick up also involved and i tie bricks in not just brick up hole.
cylinder change with power shower fitted in front of it so that had to come out first and be altered due to being piped incorrectly.
One motorised valve fitted on heating so add an additional mot valve to HW /cylinder stat and rewire with clock moved up to airing cupboard.
remove 4 existing trvs and replace due to them passing .
condensate directly below so drill through worktop and tee into existing waste.
Started at 10.15am everything done by 18.30 cold and 2 hot flushes done customer very happy as heat and hot water back on same day.

Went back next morning at 10 as had 2 bricks left to fit checked everything over again and 1 more hot flush and add inhibitor , customer could not have been happier as had been told by others he would be cold for at least 2 days . His comment was god you dont mess about do ya and away by luchtime.
My profit on job £1367 which in my opinion is a lot of money for a day(as i said im not cheap) and a bit but others where wanting more because it would have took them 3 days.

One day gas85 you may learn to work fast and accurate, measure twice cut once till then button it .
And dont have a go at people who maybe earning far more than you a week although doing job at a cheaper price but are far more capable.

Delta T

No body is arguing that some thing cannot be done in a day :) but some choose not to do any boiler swap in a day !

Been there , seen it & done it !

1 bloke , 2 days !

Install team ?? 2 blokes I day = 2 day thay are probably only payed a pittance any way , trackers on your vans ect if they do not get out in a day they probably get docked money , doubt they know what a dust pan & brush is let alone MR sheen :) smash , bang , wallop

It's social housing mate, our lads need to clean their feet coming OUT the front door. Some of these houses you need a gas mask to work in, how the other half live eh!!........F.cking soap dodgers.

Regardless, the HA COW always checks over the work every day, so of course we use dust sheets & clean up any mess WE make.

We treat our time-served Artisans very well, the young two man squads make a fortune every week, it's all done on piece work. Most have served their time with the company, so they know the score.

But hey, you 'washer changers' take your time, fa.ny about if you like, but we'll always beat you on price & get the work......... :LOL: :LOL:

Gas 85 are you saying I'm giving poor value on a 1 day swap and not doing it properly, if so I'm offended, I'm quick and good, never had an issue, can knock out whole heat system in 3 days if I want. Job on Thursday was rads all 3 years old, all with trvs, new santon unvented, used old flue hole and discharge, condense straight under teed into waste, spirotech mb3 and Viessmann 30kw system ( hardly bottom range) 2 lots of f3 and x100 had to re wire as no perm live, as said started at 930 cleared up at 4, don't get me wrong I didn't stop and was b*****r but had a nice day off for baby photo shoot today plus customers said never worked so well and as she has 3 weeks till baby arrives for her was delighted it was all done quick, but hey I'll get back on my horse and ride off with my bottom rung customer in a 750k house, just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done

No Kev I don't think your giving poor value aslong as your only charging for the time you are there and doing the job properly as I said if anyone can do a high standard job with everything neat and tidy and beyond the minimum requirement then fine
I'm gonna start again as thing have drifted here

I accept you can do a boiler swap in a day but it's not how I work.
I think the point I was getting at was I don't do straight swaps
I upgrade the system and controls rad valves maybe new rads etc always cut all the pope work back and start again (I can't stand seeing untidy pipework)
And yes I powerflush all systems you can think I'm ripping people off if you like but I'm not. Wether a system is dirty or not it has to be flushed to BS7593 it's as simple as that.

As I said my opinion is based on jobs that I have been to only a couple of years old with blocked plates etc (I went to a BG 330 last week about 5years old with a blocked primary HEX). When I walk in and see awash of pipework I can see it was thrown in without care.
I see very few of my intall customers between services and if I do it's normally not related to the system
Take the Vaillant 837 thread as an example

Back tracking i see, no the point you where trying to make was that anyone doing them in a day must be rough not fitting to standards and not following the regs.
And because you are slow and think you make more money on the job you must be so much better.

It really annoys me when people have a go at the likes of DC who initially put he does them for a grand and he gets a slagging when no one has seen the standard of his work or know his financial circumstances 300 plus quid a day in his pocket is far more use to him then not having that in his pocket and in real terms it is still a good wage for a day.

I see you are also being disagreed with in the CC is this why your back tracking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back