Worcester + Wave = constantly running pump ??

Ask for a Sense 2 until the wave has its firmware fixed.

Ohhh, what’s that? I have been told I could have a non smart thermo but I don’t think they called it that. They also said there is a new Wave coming out in the next few weeks which they may give us but will wait

Sponsored Links
The Sense 2 is the fanciest of the non internet connected wired room controllers.

Let me know how you get on with the complaints department please Brett.

I will be phoning this morning to find out the next step... give me another new wave, roll back the current one or give me a non smart thermostat until this is fixed. Getting fed up with it now.
Called WB today and have been promised their tech colleagues in Holland are close to releasing a firmware update to fix the pump issue. Watch this space...

Well... the boiler has been running fine for the last month after the WB engineer changed our wave.

After the wave was changed we were running firmware 2.18.2 and this week it has upgraded itself to 2.19.1. The pump running on issue is now back and affecting the preheating of water again.

Surely if there is a known issue they should remove the faulty firmware to stop automatic updates from happening to new users.

Phone call to WB this morning me thinks.

Sponsored Links
MrAbattoir, yes, you would think they'd stop the auto update. I have been told by WB that all being well, a hotfix will hopefully be released by the end of this week.

Hey guys, any update on the update.... pretty fed up with it all now!

Hey guys, any update on the update.... pretty fed up with it all now!

Checked mine again yesterday as it’s annoying me as well. Still sitting on the same 02.19.01 dodgy firmware

So just found this thread noticed the other day my pump runs when there is no heating demand and also the wave set room temp is not being reached boiler turns off about .3 degree below set temp. Checked software running version 02.19.01. Is there any news on a update?

Reply from Worcester Bosch
Dear Mr Ryan

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we have not been given a time frame of when this fix will be implemented as is currently with the development team in the Netherlands. We will pass on your feedback about rolling back the software.

However we are unsure that this issue is what is causing your problem. This firmware issue causes the pump to run constantly whereas yours stops if you turn the temperature down. The way the Wave is designed to function is that the burner shuts down within 0.5°C of the target temperature and then runs the pump to get it to target on the latent heat in the system. If it is not reaching this target temperature it could be perceived as the pump running constantly.

This could be affected by the size of the radiator or the outside conditions. However as you have mentioned it only has happened since the update perhaps you have got an amalgamation between the two sides of it.

Please accept this apology for the issues you are experienced and be sure that we are looking into it with a matter of urgency.

We hope this helps.

Nope, not buying that, a typical load of twaddle expected with this eco nonsense.

When Weather Compensation (WC) is enabled the Wave no longer acts as a thermostat in the traditional sense that it will bring the boiler on until the desired room temperature is reached. Instead it becomes a controller that maintains a constant flow temperature which is dictated by a heat curve and the outside temperature. If the heat curve has been set correctly then the flow temperature should heat the room to the desired temperature. The Heat Curve is set by the parameters in the device and adjusting the parameters adjusts the flow temperature given the outside temperature.
Due to the nature of weather compensation your room temperature may be higher or lower than the desired room temperature because it is no longer a thermostat, this is to be expected. If the room temperature is drastically above or below the desired temperature then making some adjustments to the parameters should help.
That seems strange to me. I'd have thought weather compensation would work by in effect having a variable setpoint control stat, the setpoint being adjusted according to the outdoor temperature, but with the whole system, boiler + pump switched off when the roomstat is satisfied. Then the room doesn't overheat, and the pump is off when heating not required. If the room stat doesn't reach setpoint so the room is too cold and the pump runs constantly, you would trim the parameters.
I suppose the idea of weather compensation is to keep the flow, and hence flue gases, as cool as possible, to improve efficiency, but whether in practice it does anything you'd notice I'm a bit sceptical.

Reply from Worcester Bosch
Dear Mr Ryan

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we have not been given a time frame of when this fix will be implemented as is currently with the development team in the Netherlands. We will pass on your feedback about rolling back the software.

However we are unsure that this issue is what is causing your problem. This firmware issue causes the pump to run constantly whereas yours stops if you turn the temperature down. The way the Wave is designed to function is that the burner shuts down within 0.5°C of the target temperature and then runs the pump to get it to target on the latent heat in the system. If it is not reaching this target temperature it could be perceived as the pump running constantly.

This could be affected by the size of the radiator or the outside conditions. However as you have mentioned it only has happened since the update perhaps you have got an amalgamation between the two sides of it.

Please accept this apology for the issues you are experienced and be sure that we are looking into it with a matter of urgency.

We hope this helps.

Mine does exactly the same!

It stopped doing it when they replaced the wave and it was on firmware 02.18.02

Started playing up again as soon as the firmware updated to 02.19.01.

If I turn the temp down enough it stops running on and my hot water preheat is fine again.

I’ve had the pump, circuit board and diverter changed. Only way to stop it was the wave being replaced!!!!

Sounds like the Wave to me.

I’ve had enough and want my money back!

Yeah, same as above issue wise that went away 100% with new wave and came back when it updated... so no doubt it’s the firmware.

I have complained so much I am getting the new EasyControl installed tomorrow so hopefully no more bloody pump running!

Got the easycontrol installed today and problem solved straight away. They gave me it for free because of the Wave issues so worth phoning and complaining I reckon!

Did some investigating tonight. Temperature on the wave set to 19 degrees.

The Wave turned the boiler flame out at 18.2 degrees (set temp 19) and according to Worchester Bosch will then continue to run the pump using the boilers latent heat to continue warming the room up untill the set temp is reached. Only problem with this idea is that as it is still 0.9 degree short of the set temp and the set temp is never reached so the pump continually runs untill the actual temp drops low enough for the boiler to re fire. This then repeats all day unless by some miracle the set temp is reached, maybe as the day warms up.

Also just notice that despite the wave reading 18.9 degrees (0.1 degree below set temp) the pump has just restarted but the bolier hasn't lit, so now we have a running pump pumping cold water round the system.

I think the complaint that the pump runs all the the time is not exactly true and it is the above scenario that is happening.

In my view this has made what was a pretty good product absolutely useless as my set temp is never reached.

As it is coming into summer it is not such a big deal at the moment but if the next software update does not fix this silly idea of using latenet heat and continually running the pump I will be demanding a replacement from Worcester Bosch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back