3 amp fuse in FCU for boiler

This appears to be the current understanding:
  1. There are no requirements in the Wiring Regulations for gas appliance supplies to be fused at 3A.
  2. There are no requirements in any gas regulations for gas appliance supplies to be fused at 3A.
  3. The Wiring Regulations do not make it mandatory to abide by any manufacturer instructions.
  4. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations (I'm assuming it is they) do make it mandatory to abide by any manufacturer instructions.
  5. Some gas appliance manufacturers require 3A fusing in the UK.
  6. Some gas appliance manufacturers do not require 3A fusing outside the UK.
  7. Nobody knows why #5 is justified, particularly when #6 applies to the same appliance sold elsewhere.
  8. Notwithstanding #7, #4 means that observing #5 is not optional.
And I'll ask again why do you keep banging on about what happens outside the UK?
It is totally irrelevant when we are in the UK and have to abide by UK rules/regs. Apologies to those who are without.
AFAIC only #4 & #5 are relevant to any discussion.

Sponsored Links
But surely it is common sense that cables of 0.5mm² wiring should be adequately protected.

And I'll ask again why do you keep banging on about what happens outside the UK?
It is totally irrelevant when we are in the UK and have to abide by UK rules/regs. Apologies to those who are without.
AFAIC only #4 & #5 are relevant to any discussion.

I take it that you are seemingly not interested, or perturbed, that you may have been told to do unnecessary things throughout your career.

But surely it is common sense that cables of 0.5mm² wiring should be adequately protected.
You're missing the point still.

All cables have to be protected - but that does not mean it has to be a 3A fuse stipulated by those who do not know what size your cable is.

What is the CCC of the 1mm² cable that you have used to connect your boiler to a 6A circuit?

Sponsored Links
Basically you cannot say that because a part number is different then the part itself necessarily is.
True - but if they do have the same part number then they are the same part (or at least are functionally interchangeable). I would not expect many parts to be specific to a country or region - manufacturers try to avoid that as it means more parts to manage.
So I would expect to see different part numbers for things like front panels (though they tend to use symbols rather than words), instruction manuals, warning labels. But often the PCB/electronics module doesn't have anything on it other than part numbers and so on - so nothing to need to localise for different countries or regions, and I'd be surprised to see different part numbers unless there was genuinely a difference.
Someone has already found english and french manuals for the same boiler - perhaps they could look in the back and see.

I for one would like to know why major multinational gas appliance manufacturers are deliberately engineering the ones they sell in this country to be less safe than the ones they sell elsewhere.

TI'd be surprised to see different part numbers unless there was genuinely a difference.
My point was that if the BOM for a spare part includes instructions, the PCB might be the same but the spare part appear to be different. In fact, the spare part as sold would be different.

I for one would like to know why major multinational gas appliance manufacturers are deliberately engineering the ones they sell in this country to be less safe than the ones they sell elsewhere.
Does it occur to you that perhaps they are all horrendously dangerous time bombs but in this country we may have found a way to tame them, just a little?

Does it occur to you that perhaps that's a barking mad theory?

Does it occur to you that perhaps other countries in Europe are not seeing gas boilers explode all the time?

You're missing the point still.

All cables have to be protected - but that does not mean it has to be a 3A fuse stipulated by those who do not know what size your cable is.

What is the CCC of the 1mm² cable that you have used to connect your boiler to a 6A circuit?
Except THEY know the size of the bit of flex THEY fit to THEIR boiler.
And the valve manufacturer knows what size cable THEY fit to THEIR devices.
So THEY then create a MI stipulating a 3A fuse to ensure THEIR products are adequately protected.

Does it occur to you that perhaps that's a barking mad theory?

Does it occur to you that perhaps other countries in Europe are not seeing gas boilers explode all the time?
Of course it's a barking mad theory that highlights your barking mad comments.

My point was that if the BOM for a spare part includes instructions, the PCB might be the same but the spare part appear to be different. In fact, the spare part as sold would be different.
IME they don't include instructions - the qualified gas fitter who will* be installing it should know what he's doing. Besides which, there tends to be a manual with procedures - much like I have a thick manual detailing how to take the Land Rover apart and put it back together, the instructions don't generally come with the parts.

* I imagine that's the assumption :whistle:

Except THEY know the size of the bit of flex THEY fit to THEIR boiler.
Is this "THEY" the boiler manufacturer? If so, I have to say that (although, admittedly, I've not seen a lot) I've never seen a boiler which comes with a 'fitted flex'.

Kind Regards, John

IME they don't include instructions - the qualified gas fitter who will* be installing it should know what he's doing. Besides which, there tends to be a manual with procedures - much like I have a thick manual detailing how to take the Land Rover apart and put it back together, the instructions don't generally come with the parts.
OK - fair enough.

I was just suggesting a possible reason why part numbers being different would not mean that the actual parts were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back