3 amp fuse in FCU for boiler

Sponsored Links
You're being obtuse. Inspection lamps do not have exposed lamps.

What about the main point?
Do they manufacture inspection lamps differently for Europe and the UK?

But maybe with drops of molten glass sizzling in the hand of the laddie with the lamp.
Maybe, but I've had incandescent bulbs 'blow up' without a 5A fuse blowing or a 6A MCB operating, so I'm not sure that fuse is necessarily the answer. I would suspect that a fuse (even if 3A) would often be hard pressed to blow before the very high current through a plasma arc had destroyed the bulb.

KInd Regards, John

It might have been that a prolonged plasma arc was created when the filament vaporised and this arc existed long enough to melt or burst the glass envelope.

Never known that happen. Perhaps we should ask our European friends if it ever has happened with their lights on 16 amp MCBs.

Sponsored Links
IR heat lamps (the ones that look a bit like a big version of the R80 reflector lamps) are known to explode when failing - I've witnessed two failing, both went with a heck of a bang that left people uttering "golly, what on earth was that" (or words to that general effect) :eek:
One was at university, one of the ones in the servery exploded and they had to throw away all the food that had just been put under them ready for serving.
The other was at a farm and was being used to stop the dairy freezing up during a cold spell - sent shards of glass to every corner of a room around 4x5m.
That's regardless of whatever fusing they have :whistle:

.... That's regardless of whatever fusing they have :whistle:
As I recently wrote, I suspect that if there were a race between a fuse (of any credible rating) and the explosion of a lamp/bulb due to a sustained (extremely low impedance) plasma arc, the latter would usually get to the winning post first (even if the fuse, by then, got past the point of no return and hence subsequently opened).

Kind Regards, John

Do we know how different and in what way.
Do you think they fit a 3A fuse for markets outside the UK?
As I said before, why 3A, anyway?
Dunno. Give them a bell and ask.
The person who was spoken to at Gas Safe may say that but is there actually any proof, i.e. written down somewhere, or is it just that persons opinion?
can you really believe that they deliberately manufacture "less safe" ones for the UK market, such that 3A fuse protection is required for them, but not required for their 'safer' non-UK version ??

Dunno. Give them a bell and ask. .... Dunno. Give them a bell and ask. ... Dunno. Give them a bell and ask.
As far as the last of those three (in response to my question - as to what you could believe) is concerned, I really don't think there is much mileage to be had in asking them if they deliberately make "less safe" products for the UK market (unless, that is, you think there is any conceivable chance of them answering 'yes'!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Worcester Bosch say the boilers they manufacture for markets outside the UK are not the same as those for this market.
OK.

Who would like to suggest that they are deliberately making the ones they sell in the UK less intrinsically safe than the ones they sell in other countries?

Gas Safe say that it is written into the gas regs that manufacturers' instructions MUST be followed.
Yes, we know.

Fine if you think that is stupid, but if manufacturers say their appliances must have a 3A fuse in their supply, it must be installed thus in order to comply with Gas Safe regs.
Yes we know.

Now tell us why they say that they must have a 3A fuse in their supply.

In other words you have absolutely no interest in contributing anything useful or intelligent to this discussion, you just want to make a pointless noise.

As far as the last of those three (in response to my question - as to what you could believe) is concerned, I really don't think there is much mileage to be had in asking them if they deliberately make "less safe" products for the UK market (unless, that is, you think there is any conceivable chance of them answering 'yes'!)
One could ask them why they want a fuse here which they do not want elsewhere, and if that is because they make the products differently one could ask them why they choose to engineer products which need a fuse here rather than make them so that they don't need the fuse.

QUOTE="securespark, post: 4086893, member: 6052]

Gas Safe say that it is written into the gas regs that manufacturers' instructions MUST be followed.

/QUOTE]

The person who was spoken to at Gas Safe may say that but is there actually any proof, i.e. written down somewhere, or is it just that persons opinion?
If it is written somewhere then it is not in The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 - they do not contain such a requirement.

That's not to say it is not in some other regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back