3 amp fuse in FCU for boiler

Sponsored Links
Is this "THEY" the boiler manufacturer? If so, I have to say that (although, admittedly, I've not seen a lot) I've never seen a boiler which comes with a 'fitted flex'.

Kind Regards, John
What you mean like the popular Worcester Bosch and Remeha?

Except THEY know the size of the bit of flex THEY fit to THEIR boiler.
As has been said, most don't fit a flex. That you have knowledge of one that does is irrelevant to the arguments for all the others.

And the valve manufacturer knows what size cable THEY fit to THEIR devices.
They do, is it different than they fit for the rest of the world? That is, do they purposely fit smaller ones for Britain?
Do they have pallet loads marked "Inferior - for Britain ONLY". They don't.

So THEY then create a MI stipulating a 3A fuse to ensure THEIR products are adequately protected.
You'd think they would want to ensure their products were adequately protected by not omitting the protection you think they fit for elsewher.
Why bother? Surely it would be cheaper to make them all the same.

Your replies indicate that you really don't understand what is being said, which is worrying.

Of course, it's not just boilers; it's every low powered appliance for which you have fitted a 3A fuse - televisions, PC etc. power supplies, bedside clocks, table lamps, inspection lamps, etc. etc. They will all be plugged unfused into 16A circuits - as are mine which I brought from Britain; they have not noticed.

Your chauvinistic comments implying that Europe doesn't know or care is ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
So THEY then create a MI stipulating a 3A fuse to ensure THEIR products are adequately protected.

Then they are stupid, as the 3a fuse does not do that and is not designed to do that. Once again the external fuse is to protect the cable not the appliance on the end of it. The appliance MUST have internal protection or it would not be safe.

Worcester Bosch say the boilers they manufacture for markets outside the UK are not the same as those for this market.

Gas Safe say that it is written into the gas regs that manufacturers' instructions MUST be followed.

Fine if you think that is stupid, but if manufacturers say their appliances must have a 3A fuse in their supply, it must be installed thus in order to comply with Gas Safe regs.

Worcester Bosch say the boilers they manufacture for markets outside the UK are not the same as those for this market.
Do we know how different and in what way.

Do you think they fit a 3A fuse for markets outside the UK?
As I said before, why 3A, anyway?

Gas Safe say that it is written into the gas regs that manufacturer's instructions MUST be followed.
I think we have determined that that is the case, and also that the gas regulations themselves do not mandate a 3A fuse, so we are back to square one.

[QUOTE="securespark, post: 4086893, member: 6052]

Gas Safe say that it is written into the gas regs that manufacturers' instructions MUST be followed.

[/QUOTE]

The person who was spoken to at Gas Safe may say that but is there actually any proof, i.e. written down somewhere, or is it just that persons opinion?

To reiterate, we have been talking about boilers and CH systems which are quite complicated and involved.

This may be confusing people, but the same arguments apply to simpler appliances where the manufacturer calls for a 3A fuse.

If you bought an inspection lamp with a 60W lamp and the manufacture called for a 3A fuse - only in Britain - would you think that this was important?
Would you think that they had thought it through and considered that to be the only safe way of using the lamp - when in Britain?

Why do they not call for a 250mA fuse?

They might be different in some respects (although it's hard to imagine which respects!) but can you really believe that they deliberately manufacture "less safe" ones for the UK market, such that 3A fuse protection is required for them, but not required for their 'safer' non-UK version ??

Kind Regards, John

If you bought an inspection lamp with a 60W lamp and the manufacture called for a 3A fuse - only in Britain - would you think that this was important?
Would you think that they had thought it through and considered that to be the only safe way of using the lamp - when in Britain?

If it was an incandessant lamp I would think they are idiots. When an incandescent lamp blows it will invariably take out a 3 amp fuse. However a 5 amp one will invariably survive. When I still had incandescent portable lamps I made sure any manufacturer fitted 3 amp fuses were changed to 5 amp for this reason. In those days a fuse and bulb both cost about the same so doubling the cost when a bulb went was not on. And yes the cables were suitable for 5 amp fuses.

What would have happened without the 3A or 5A fuse?
Clearly the blown bulb would go out, exactly the same as with a 5 a fuse. There are many such examples such as the millions of pendants in use without individual fusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back