A very serious post...

H&J said:
Lets just hope that when it gets to court the reason for using the car is not mentioned, as we all know smoking is by far the most dangerous thing you can do, well in this crazy mixed up country anyway.

Kendor, I'm not one of your biggest fans but you were spot on this time.
I didn't realise that fan worship went on here? is it a secret organisation of forum members, secret handshakes and the like? ;)

Sponsored Links
I was going to sit out on this one but i cant bite my tongue any longer. It is not an unfortunate situation and the wrong is not in getting caught it is in doing it. A concious decision was made to drive while over the limit and from what was said a fair bit over the limit. That he feels regret is good and i applaud that, but it doesnt remove the fact its been done and for the second time. Ive lost count of the amount of times i knocked on peoples doors to deliver death messages, watched as the life support machines of victims were turned off in hospital and picked up the pieces from accidents caused by drink drivers.

To be honest i think the attitude displayed is better than the attitude of many on hear who are trying to excuse it. I hope you can get your regret across to the court, but in all honestly you wont and shouldnt be behind the wheel of a car for a long time. If anyone wants to shoot me down in flames think how you would feel if it had been your wife or kids that he had ploughed in to. Luckily he didnt. So dont sit there and come across as sorry for what he has done, he made a decision and so must live by it. The only lucky thing was that he didnt injure or kill himself or someone else.

Written as a man who has picked up the bits and pieces too many times.
Im sorry if my feelings upset anyone but as you can tell ive had a fair bit of experiance of the wrong end of it. :(

Kendor, you didn't stay at the top for long, Thermo has replaced you, sorry.

There were only 3 of us in your club, so now leaves just David & Julie.

There were no secret handshakes but a raising off the center finger seems to mean something, I thought it meant "as one" but I could be wrong.

H&J said:
Kendor, you didn't stay at the top for long, Thermo has replaced you, sorry.

There were no secret handshakes but a raising off the center finger seems to mean something, I thought it meant "as one" but I could be wrong.
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
A few people have recounted their DD tales on here, but I am pretty certain that the majority of people here have driven under the influence in the past. Before the indignant barrage starts, if you have a drink, even when you are under the limit you are still under the influence.

Like many, I had that one time when I did the old "2 hours per pint" calculation and figured that now it was 4am I was borderline, so drove home... on a motorbike. Very stupid thing to do. It shook me up enough that I went back to my previous rule of "no alcohol whatsoever" if I am driving.

Now we can all learn from Simon here. His first instance was "the morning after". How many people have a big night on Friday and then do a quick job on Saturday morning? Or "just nip down to the shops"? Most people never stop to think about this one. If you're in doubt, stay in bed. Sleep it off! It's Saturday!

The second one, well, I suspect Simon is repeatedly slapping himself on the forehead now, and trying to figure out how he can keep a hotel manager's hours with public transport. This one is far more obvious, but how many of you think you can drink 2 pints and still be under the limit? I know the Home Office no longer gives information on what you can drink, too many factors to take into account. But I seem to recall that the old limit was 1.5 pints of standard strength (3.5%), i.e. 1 pint of premium strength. 1 pint of many lagers puts you ON that limit.

Good point adam. This may put it into perspective. When i was training we were given a breathalyser for the night and told to take it down the bar with us. Some people failed on 1/2 a pint some didnt even after 6 pints. Big risk, big consequences. Dont get me wrong i dont wish ill of ninebob, hes mad ehis mistake, he realises it and is prepared for the consequences.My biggest moan is with some of the comments made afterwards.

Thermo said:
So dont sit there and come across as sorry for what he has done, he made a decision and so must live by it. The only lucky thing was that he didnt injure or kill himself or someone else.
I don't see any words here condoning drunk driving. Only ones that are trying to make ninebob feel a bit better about what might happen now that this event has taken place. Nobody can change the fact that it has, so there seems little point in rubbing salt into the wound. Nothing said here will affect what happens one jot anyway.

Despite the seriousness of the charge, I'd be surprised if ninebob wasn't posting here after the event. I'm sure there will be consequences to pay but I think the 'good luck' part that everyone is wishing is about that custodial bit.

Anyway, I suppose the main point of ninebob's original post was as a warning not to do anything like he's done, rather than posting it in order to be judged. I suspect many people would have just kept quiet.

Point taken ninebob

kendor wrote,
This post and some of the replies just show how Hypocritical some people on this forum can be.
They go on about castrating, hanging, torture, bludgeoning etc

Kendor I agree with you entirely about the wrongs of DD but my agreement stops there. What on earth have the above comments got to do with it? You are once again confusing different issues. Yes I have no sympathy for ninebob although I wish him well, which is not the same. I would also support a referendum on capital/corporal punishment too. This is because they are totally different issues and I can't see how you can see otherwise. I also think you are wrong in calling anyone an hypocrite, which posts are hypocritical? As I read them some people may feel sorry for him, some admit to doing it themselves in the past too, but who actually supported DD?.

H&J wrote.

Me in kendors club? :LOL: :LOL:

I was trying to find the words, but I think Rider has put it well. Simon was reminding us that it isn't worth it, NOT "damn police, I would have got away with it".

Yes Simon did wrong, reading his post I am in no doubt that he would agree. But most people would only publicly announce their wrongdoing as part of a "Community Service" sentence. He has done it out of a social conscience. Remorse, regret, it shows promise.

Simon, might I suggest that you immediately give up boozing and book yourself in to "alcoholics anonymous" asap (i.e. before your court day). Whilst you may not be an alcoholic, AA and the like may drum the message in and make sure you won't do it again, Clockwork Orange style. On top of that, it may help the magistrate see that you really are sorry, not just saying that you are, and that you are doing everything you can to make sure it never happens again.

If I recall, second time your poor Citroen has been parked in a ditch isn't it? ;)

AdamW said:
If I recall, second time your poor Citroen has been parked in a ditch isn't it? icon_wink.gif
No, that was the old peugeot, and NOT me driving...

Thank you all for your comments, not just those of you who have been supportive but also the others who are of course completey right. I certainly wasn't expecting sympathy.

The regret isn't just in getting caught - in the cold light of day the realisation of what had actually happened, and what could have happened, was horrifying.

I felt very resentful after my first DD, as I had no idea I would still be over the limit and it was borderline anyway. This time however, I have to accept everything thrown at me: I knew I was drunk, and decided the risk was worth it. For a packet of fags - what a pr*ck. Of course, the very fact I was drunk has a part to play in the error of judgement but that's not really any mitigation.

The repurcussions of a prison sentence will run very deep indeed. I have resigned from a nice management position at Hilton (citing personal reasons, to avoid embarrasment). I will lose my flat, fortunately only rented. When I come out I will be in debt from missed HP payments and generally I imagine it will be very hard to put my life back on track.

Again that's not a plea for sympathy, but sharing food for thought for anyone who might be tempted to take the risk.

The point here is that Simon will be in front of the beak on Wednesday and is no doubt going to receive a pretty stiff penalty whatever we may all think. I would imagine that he made the post in the first instance as a rather selfless act warning others not to be so dam stupid. He will have plenty of time to consider his actions as we know the consequences will be severe. So I feel that this is not an appropriate time to indulge in a lot of admonishment - we can do that Thursday ;)

Kendor, whilst I don't think I am so far from you politically (as opposed say to Adam, D&J, Pipme, Jasy and oh er...well, everybody else really) in most cases, I think this post is showing you to be the Edmund Hilary of the Moral Highground! Hope you don't suffer from altitude sickness?

Oh, and by the way, I have been on the receiving end of the actions of drunk drivers - twice! :eek:

Thermo said:
Good point adam. This may put it into perspective. When i was training we were given a breathalyser for the night and told to take it down the bar with us. Some people failed on 1/2 a pint some didnt even after 6 pints. Big risk, big consequences. Dont get me wrong i dont wish ill of ninebob, hes mad ehis mistake, he realises it and is prepared for the consequences.My biggest moan is with some of the comments made afterwards.
Might be wrong here but i was under the impression that a breathylyser was merely an indication of a content of alchohol consumed and not a measure of what had been absorbed into the bloodstream? therefore someone who can't handle their drink could be misled into thinking they are under the limit and yet have lost their faculties to think properly

chainsaw_masochist said:
Oh Simon, that's a truly unfortunate experience. I know there are those that will be more accusatory re d&d, but frankly there were times (years back) when the only reason something similar didn't befall me was that I was lucky enough not to get caught. I imagine there are others of us that could attest similarly.

Agree with all that Rider says, btw. Hope you receive the best possible outcome in the circumstances.

Chains.
It's quotes like the above, and the reaction of others that i was on about , in the fact that with people they don't even know get the full psycho treatment and others who have fully admitted to wrongdoing get the "oh well we've all done it sometime or other" that i felt was two faced.If i'm taking the moral high ground as stated then so be it, does that mean the rest are taking the moral low ground then?
Someone has to on here as there are a lot of comments being made on here that very nearly cross the line or indeed do of decency and normality.

He can always use this thread as clear evidence of genuine regret.... or is that taking cynicism too far.

The argument is not the moral of whether he was right or wrong but the fact that people on here can argue so vehemently against a wrong-doer who they don't know anything more about apart from what they read in a paper or saw on the news and yet give support and sympathy to someone who in their own words has presented evidence of their own wrong doing.
I havn't stated one way or another whether i find ninebob guilty again that is up to the courts but on the evidence he has presented the desicion seems to me to be straightforward, but my criticism was not directed to him anyway but to others double standards.

Sponsored Links
Back