Australia says no.

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Australia just rejected our post-Brexit trade deal, and rejected visa-free work and travel between the two countries.

Australia’s points-based system will apply to us, but not quite the way Brexiters said it would ...

Oz was supposed to be an easy deal ...

Sponsored Links
Australia just rejected our post-Brexit trade deal, and rejected visa-free work and travel between the two countries.

Australia’s points-based system will apply to us, but not quite the way Brexiters said it would ...

Oz was supposed to be an easy deal ...
Was that a trade deal, or just not extending the rights given to NZ residents ?

I think it was part of the trade deal, so that part being rejected means the deal needs to be reviewed.

Morrison fiddled as Australia burned.

I hope they get what they deserve voting in this idiot.

Sponsored Links
Why would a country with a population of 24 Million give free movement to 66 million people.

That's like us giving free movement to every person in Europe.

It's just nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
50 shades of grey, I'm struggling to find the word 'rejected' attributable to any senior Australian or their trade minister. What is becoming clear is that both Australia and NZ fear that total freedom of movement could bring about a 'brain drain' where talent leaves Anzac and low skilled uk workers head out there.

Birmingham said yesterday: “Negotiations for an FTA [free trade agreement] between Australia and the UK will prioritise enhancing trade with a market that is already our eighth-largest trading partner.

“Work and visa settings may also form part of discussions but it is important to appreciate that there is a huge spectrum of grey between the black and white of no movement or unfettered movement.

“Once talks are launched with the UK we will work through all of these issues in the usual way,” he said.

What is becoming clear is that both Australia and NZ fear that total freedom of movement could bring about a 'brain drain' where talent leaves Anzac and low skilled uk workers head out there.
:idea:

Birmingham said yesterday: “Negotiations for an FTA [free trade agreement] between Australia and the UK will prioritise enhancing trade with a market that is already our eighth-largest trading partner

Wrong

Australia are negotiating a trade deal with Europe - of far more interest to them as EU is their 2nd largest export market.
UK might get sloppy seconds, oh and Auetralia have said they want UK agriculture opened up.

Hey nevermind, weve tot a great er rollover deal with Easter island.

Why would a country with a population of 24 Million give free movement to 66 million people.

That's like us giving free movement to every person in Europe.

It's just nuts.

lwr, par for the course.

Popping to Australia is not like a weekend trip to Amsterdam . They are more likely to come here than vice versa .

I find that hard to believe. They have access to work visas as it is and visversa.

More Brits in Aus than them over hear.

Wrong

Australia are negotiating a trade deal with Europe - of far more interest to them as EU is their 2nd largest export market.
UK might get sloppy seconds, oh and Auetralia have said they want UK agriculture opened up.

Hey nevermind, weve tot a great er rollover deal with Easter island.

You're right to some degree Notch insofar as they are currently in negotiations, and the EU are a larger trading partner than us, but bear in mind the 'ambitious' trade deal they are negotiating with the EU is for both trade and services, services account for half of their trade with the EU, I'm not sure who the biggest provider of services in the EU is, I have a sneaky feeling it might be us.

how's your old man by the way? Hopefully on the mend.

More Brits in Aus than them over hear.

That possibly wasn't the case in the 70's, I lived briefly in Earls Court square (kangaroo Court as it was known then), I don't think I've experienced as much 'freedom of movement' since, probably why my hips and knees are buggered.

That possibly wasn't the case in the 70's, I lived briefly in Earls Court square (kangaroo Court as it was known then), I don't think I've experienced as much 'freedom of movement' since, probably why my hips and knees are buggered.

Not so long ago there were apparently a million Aussies hear at any one time. Not sure how that's fairs now. But I suppose it was then as it is now..... Freedom of movement for a certain age for a set amount of years. And we had the same right to go and work in Australia

Sponsored Links
Back