BBQ

EddieM said:
-- the sure fire way to ruin a BBQ is to have to eat burnt parafin tasting tesco value burgers "cooked" by a sweaty bloke who is legally unable to drive.

So you went to that barbecue too! :eek: :eek: :eek: What a let-down - and I'd still like to know which cheapskate got the benefit of my premium pork sausages. :evil: :evil: :evil: And the moral of the story is:

Beware of parties hosted by people you don't know where everybody is invited to 'bring something for the barbecue'. Disappointment is virtually guaranteed. :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
EddieM said:
-- the sure fire way to ruin a BBQ is to have to eat burnt parafin tasting tesco value burgers "cooked" by a sweaty bloke who is legally unable to drive.

So you went to that barbecue too! :eek: :eek: :eek: What a let-down - and I'd still like to know which cheapskate got the benefit of my premium pork sausages. :evil: :evil: :evil: And the moral of the story is:

Beware of parties hosted by people you don't know where everybody is invited to 'bring something for the barbecue'. Disappointment is virtually guaranteed. :( :( :(

No as I say, the moral of the story is eat well first and never bring anything to a BBQ that you wouldnt want cremated.

Sure I am not knocking people who know how to BBQ but they are few and far between, I think my worst mistake was bringing some good steak and king prawns to a barby and watching sweaty guy 1) cremate them and 2) drink my nice (ish) wine. :evil:

I will quite often be found cooking a shoulder of pork on my barrel bbq or a whole chicken

Never served burnt or raw food and never have less than 15 people turn up for a bbq at my place but then the bar may have something to do with it :D as well

Domestic charcoal BBQ's are universally rubbish. Couple of drums cut in half lengthways then filled with a huge amount of charcoal covered with very heavy duty grid will suffice. The rest forget it they're rubbish!

Sponsored Links
Wow this thread has brought out the britishness in us all. Not wanting to eat outside. And some xenophobic tendancies.

And clearly there are people here who have had bad experiences but BBQ food can be amazing. The use of lump wood charcoal over briquettes, does make a diffetence to the taste I find.

Perhaps there shod be a bbq school

Wow this thread has brought out the britishness in us all. Not wanting to eat outside. And some xenophobic tendancies.

And clearly there are people here who have had bad experiences but BBQ food can be amazing. The use of lump wood charcoal over briquettes, does make a diffetence to the taste I find.

Perhaps there shod be a bbq school

Xenophobic? Sure That's the right word? National prejuice about al fresco dining maybe, but I don't recall anyone saying that others shouldn't enjoy it, I mean they're wrong of course ;) but each to their own.

The word 'xenophobic' seems to be bandied about almost as much as the word 'racist'. It's getting to the point where it's not permitted to express an opinion if there is even the remotest chance of it involving any foreign person or country! :rolleyes:

the sure fire way to ruin a BBQ is to have to eat burnt parafin tasting tesco value burgers "cooked" by a sweaty bloke who is legally unable to drive.

When did you come to one of my BBQ's?

BigIan said:
The use of lump wood charcoal over briquettes, does make a diffetence to the taste I find.

I can't say I've really noticed that but I avoid briquettes for other reasons. First and foremost, lump wood shrinks away as it burns so you can see how much you've got left. Briquettes hold their shape, leaving you to guess how much actual carbon is left within the balls of ash. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Secondly, they produce large quantities of ash, unlike lump wood which burns away to almost nothing. You can put a lump wood barbecue out when you're finished with it (I use a plant spray for this) and the charcoal will be good to go next time. Just top it up. :cool: :cool: :cool:

And finally ... they cost more. :( :( :(

Any improvement in flavour is most likely coming from burning fat that's dripped onto the red-hot lumps. It might not burn in quite the same way if it soaks into briquette ash.

Given a choice, I'll pay a bit extra (but not too much extra) for instant-light charcoal then add a little lighting fluid as well. Don't waste your money on gel. You'll do just as well with crumbled up fire lighters, although you shouldn't need either with instant-light.

BigIan said:
The use of lump wood charcoal over briquettes, does make a diffetence to the taste I find.

I can't say I've really noticed that but I avoid briquettes for other reasons. First and foremost, lump wood shrinks away as it burns so you can see how much you've got left. Briquettes hold their shape, leaving you to guess how much actual carbon is left within the balls of ash. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Secondly, they produce large quantities of ash, unlike lump wood which burns away to almost nothing. You can put a lump wood barbecue out when you're finished with it (I use a plant spray for this) and the charcoal will be good to go next time. Just top it up. :cool: :cool: :cool:

And finally ... they cost more. :( :( :(

Any improvement in flavour is most likely coming from burning fat that's dripped onto the red-hot lumps. It might not burn in quite the same way if it soaks into briquette ash.

Given a choice, I'll pay a bit extra (but not too much extra) for instant-light charcoal then add a little lighting fluid as well. Don't waste your money on gel. You'll do just as well with crumbled up fire lighters, although you shouldn't need either with instant-light.

I just turn a dial and go click. works well assuming there is gas left. I fail to see how charcoal, be it briquettes or lumpwood can impart any flavour whatsoever to the food.

I used to love barbecuing, now i've got into 'smoking' its something I can use all year round!

Don't both coming to a barbecue round mine if you expect some fancy salad, do come if you want half a pig and a smoked rack of bacon! :mrgreen:

I used to love barbecuing, now i've got into 'smoking' its something I can use all year round!

Don't both coming to a barbecue round mine if you expect some fancy salad, do come if you want half a pig and a smoked rack of bacon! :mrgreen:

Sadly, my religion forbids that.

Sponsored Links
Back