Brexit one year on - so what are the advantages?

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 174758

One year since Boris's "oven ready deal" (more like an underdone turkey to my mind, but never mind) and I really want to know what advantages we've had out of this. Seriously, I can't see any plusses, just a whole lot of minuses.

Sponsored Links
Brexshit: the gift that keeps on taking.

Mobile users warned of extra fees as roaming charges return

"The return of roaming fees follows the UK’s departure from the EU, with the bloc having removed roaming charges for people moving around Europe in 2017."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...return/ar-AASiW0U?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBoPWjQ

Some on here claimed that rumours of the return of mobile roaming charges were exaggerated or untrue. Well Project Fear is now Project Here. Prepare for more chaos, shortages, delays and expense as Bozo & Co introduce both a new computer system and new border checks on all imports to UK from EU.

On a brighter note, I did think of one possible Brexit benefit. With UK exports tanking plus businesses and the economy taking a massive self-inflicted Brexit hit, more to follow - will the reduction in UK economic activity with reduced living standards for all equate to less damage to the environment? For starters, thousands less lorries on the road must surely help Bozo achieve his low/no carbon vanity project.

Last edited:
Errm. I was hoping for something a bit more positive.

Sponsored Links
Well, after a year I thought we'd have a bit more to be happy about, especially after all the benefits which we were assured by the Boris supporters would come out of this. I'm just surprised that they all seem to be keeping their heads down

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask the question again in 5yrs. I have always said that a 40yr economic union will have a bumpy divorce.

Prepare for more chaos, shortages, delays and expense as Bozo & Co introduce both a new computer system and new border checks on all imports to UK from EU.

I'm seeing none of any of that at all, maybe I live in a more affluent area. The only changes I am noticing are the very same changes that can be seen in the EU and the rest of the world, entirely due to the effects of covid. Even though, I think we are managing it much better overall than many countries, but let down by the anti-vaxxers.

I'm seeing none of any of that at all, maybe I live in a more affluent area. The only changes I am noticing are the very same changes that can be seen in the EU and the rest of the world, entirely due to the effects of covid. Even though, I think we are managing it much better overall than many countries, but let down by the anti-vaxxers.

Brexit isn't fully implemented yet. Imports from EU checks and new computer system start Jan 1st. Covid has conveniently masked some of the problems for the government. Government are also really good at covering things up, eg. making lorries apply for permit to enter Kent to prevent obvious queues at the ports. Things may get more interesting from now on. :)

Fastest rate of growth among G7 countries in 2021 and the same is forecast for 2022

Record year for the LSE with the highest levels of fund raising since 2007

Tech investment into the UK was 26 billion in 2021, up from 11.5 billion in 2020. That's double the investment in Germany and three times more than France.

Unemployment at a record low of 4.2%

We now have one of the highest 'living wage' levels in the world

Despite being over 40% owned by Renault, Nissan chose to stay and invest their big bucks in Sunderland, their most efficient plant in Europe. Now they've chosen Sunderland for their new giga factory, 1000's of new jobs.

Royal Dutch Shell announced it will move its global headquarters and tax residency from the Netherlands to the UK

UK has jumped from 8th place to 4th place on the International trade barrier index.

Highest vaccine booster rollout in Europe, (excepting Iceland), double the EU average.

We got the fish.

And that's just for starters.(y)

Fastest rate of growth among G7 countries in 2021 and the same is forecast for 2022
Fastest economic recovery is another bit of useless data without the context of the starting points.
Growth in the size of the UK economy – known as gross domestic product or GDP – has averaged 1.3% (on an annualised basis) over the last four quarters. That is somewhat below its potential rate of 1.4% (as estimated by the Bank of England) and the 1.5% growth rate for 2019 that we forecast in last year’s Green Budget, and well below the average of 2.0% per year between 2010 and 2015.
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/14420
Then there's the other costs to be factored in such as the health of the nation.
Economy recovery is all well and good, but at what cost.

• UK economic weakness has been both more longstanding and more extensive than in other major economies. Growth in the UK has been weaker than in other G7 economies since 2016, volatile through this year, and averaged only 1.3% in the second quarter of 2019, compared with the same period last year.

• Private sector investment is particularly weak. Business investment has witnessed its most sustained period of weakness outside of a recession and is now the lowest in the G7.
  • The sharp divergence between growth in UK private sector investment and that in other developed economies coincides with the post-referendum period,
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/14420
Data is pretty much useless when it's devoid of context.

Last edited:
WRONG

Record year for the LSE with the highest levels of fund raising since 2007
WRONG

Tech investment into the UK was 26 billion in 2021, up from 11.5 billion in 2020. That's double the investment in Germany and three times more than France
Small industry, cherry picked.

Unemployment at a record low of 4.2
UNTRUE

Now they've chosen Sunderland for their new giga factory, 1000's of new jobs.
UNTRUE

it’s a Chinese gigafactory.

EU are building 20 gigafactories, oh and European headquarters for Tesla.

Highest vaccine booster rollout in Europe, (excepting Iceland), double the EU average
NOPE

UK is well behind vaccine rollout generally

Germany beat UK on boosters

We got the fish
NO

UK fishermen are far worse off

all we got was more quota of fish we don’t even eat.

Sponsored Links
Back