Brexit one year on - so what are the advantages?

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
Highest vaccine booster rollout in Europe, (excepting Iceland), double the EU average.

And except for Malta, Portugal and Denmark

Germany beat UK on boosters

upload_2021-12-31_15-40-54.png

Sponsored Links
Advantages ?? hmmm

well there is the potential of some type of military confrontation with the french :idea: in the channel over fishing etc :idea:

It's worth considering what would have happened if the remain vote had won. The continued influence the leave party (or parties) would have on UK politics in the same way the SNP has on Scottish politics. You'd end up with a growing nationalist movement taking millions of votes away from the real issues, continued parliament time and energy discussing leave etc... UKIP were on the verge of a break-though into parliament, who knows where it would have gone? They'd continue to be a nuisance in local elections, getting inappropriate people into local power as a protest vote, not to mention the skew that PR gives for MEP elections.

If you're unhappy with Brexit, then it's worth asking the question what compromise position would you accept in exchange for remain? How are you going to satisfy the leave voters? This is the reason we left, because the remainers gave no compromise. AFAICS no offers of change. No offers of how they'd fix anything people considered wrong with the EU membership. It was basically 'shut up and accept what's good for you'. It was close, but this wasn't enough in the end.

I have a feeling we'd be fine with EU membership if only we adjusted our institutions to be compatible with it. Benefits, taxation, areas of business law, we could make it work better for us if we had a government with some guts. For me, one of the defining moments was the beef crisis. If we had governments that actually stood up for our interests instead of bending over and taking it. Can you honestly imagine France letting us get away with this?
https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/yes-we-had-mad-cow-disease-too-france-confesses-6927256.html
That's why they are still members. They are no less nationalistic than us. They make it work for themselves.

Sponsored Links
If you're unhappy with Brexit, then it's worth asking the question what compromise position would you accept in exchange for remain? How are you going to satisfy the leave voters?

Boris and the Brexers have demonstrated the the response is "WE WON! YOU LOST!"

Sack all the MPs that don't agree

Lie to Parliament and the Queen

Introduce different laws and treaties that had not been agreed or even proposed beforehand

Take up an extreme position for the country no matter what damage it caused.

Surely Brexers would have just accepted that?

Did Boris start this thread, did a brexer start this thread? The thread was started by a remainer for the sole purpose of remainers jumping in and having their own little w@nkfest over how badly they perceive brexit to have gone. Pathetic.
They don't like it when someone steps in and disagrees, and even less so when that someone exposes their lies.

As I said, focussing on such a tiny detail and omitting the larger picture is selective and distorts the true situation.
Data out of context, i.e. in total isolation is meaningless.

It's like saying UK invested more in the development of the vaccine than any other nation, but devoid of the number of projects that failed, and which succeeded it's meaningless.

Record year for the LSE

LSE has done much much much worse than the other major markets

Both in the last year since the Boris Brexit went into effect

And in the five years since the referendum catastrophe.

As I said, focussing on such a tiny detail and omitting the larger picture is selective and distorts the true situation.
Data out of context, i.e. in total isolation is meaningless.

Especially when it exposes your and notch's lies about Malta, Portugal, Denmark and Germany.

Sack all the MPs that don't agree

Lie to Parliament and the Queen

Introduce different laws and treaties that had not been agreed or even proposed beforehand

Take up an extreme position for the country no matter what damage it caused.

Surely Brexers would have just accepted that?

IMHO this has been the problem all along. Conflating the government in charge with the referendum question. The leave vote was not supposed to be a vote for Nigel Farage, or even a vote for 'Vote Leave'. It was not supposed to be a vote for the next government. It was not a vote 'against Europe' We were supposed to have a bipartisan, grown-up discussion about the merits of membership and then make an informed vote. I didn't see much of this outside of the usual political discussions between the parties involved, and the usual mud-slinging about dog-whistle racism/xeonophobia vs lack of sovereignty or whatever. The trouble is, that the detail counts, and we don't get to vote on most of that detail. We just get the one question: Are you happy with what you got, or do you want to try something else? As for the last election we had an opposition leader who didn't know his arse from his elbow. I didn't feel I had much of a choice there. I do sympathise with your position on how it played out (badly), but have you considered the alternatives?

We were supposed to have a bipartisan, grown-up discussion about the merits of membership and then make an informed vote. I didn't see much of this outside of the usual political discussions between the parties involved, and the usual mud-slinging about dog-whistle racism/xeonophobia vs lack of sovereignty or whatever.
You mean about how much UK paid to EU, and what could be done with that money?
And how many Turks would be migrating to UK?
And how it'll stop the refugees?
And how UK would get all the fish?
And how so many new trade deals would be made?
Etc.

As for the last election we had an opposition leader who didn't know his arse from his elbow. I didn't feel I had much of a choice there. I do sympathise with your position on how it played out (badly), but have you considered the alternatives?
The Americans showed us how it's done.
The lying buffoon is far worse than the genuine candidate who might be a bit old.

Sponsored Links
Back