Cat got run over :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to lighten the mood in this section I thought I'd tell you about yesterday.

Our cat got run over and killed.

It was very close with our youngest daughter, when I went downstairs every morning it would be waiting behind the door and would run up and get in bed with her, if she was up first she would be straight down the stairs to see the cat.

It was terrible having to tell her after school yesterday :(

R.I.P Misty

IMG_0092.JPG

Sponsored Links
I am so sorry that this happened, it's really hard when a pet dies. Harder than people think it should be.

Hugs

Yes mate, absolutely dreadful. When we had our cat put to sleep nearly four years ago, we had a private cremation so that we only got her ashes back. We planned to bury her ashes in her favourite sunny spot in the garden. Every time we discuss it, we still get upset so she's currently still in her box on top of the unit in the dining room. Silly, I know but some people just can't understand. Maybe this year....

My condolences to you and your family.

My cat lives indoors only, because it would kill me to have this happen. (Cat doesn't seem to mind, BTW)

Sponsored Links
A wise old bloke once told me that all kids should have pets 'cos it's highly likely that a much loved pet dies before grandma & grandad & the kids can get to grips with dealing with grief.

I reckon he was full of bull.

My cat lives indoors only, because it would kill me to have this happen. (Cat doesn't seem to mind, BTW)
We took on a 5 year old bengal cat who was indoors only. Absolutely desperate to get out, behavioural problems, unhappy, stressed, cried all day. The moment we let it out (after walking it around on a lead for a couple of weeks to stop it shouting all bloomin night), he changed. Happy, content, affectionate. We got him in October and I can remember him sitting on the garden fence in the peeing rain in November just because he could, bless.

I am glad yours doesn't seem to mind but ours did. As much as dread the day he's hurt or killed outside, I have to remember his quality, not quantity of life.

R.I.P Misty

We had to say goodbye to Harry our tabby last Nov. After 10 years with us it really hit us. He was getting on a bit (nut sure age - rescue cat - maybe 17 ish) and the ailments were mounting, but he coped. He'd had a number of conditions that he/we coped with over his last few years, but he suddenly started shutting down after seeming normal the day before. We console ourselves that he had a good, long life and spent the last couple of years confined to the house or enclosed sunny back garden as he had gone deaf. He had a last good summer last year and spent every hour he could sunning his arthritic old bones. The house and garden seem empty without his presence.

A bit tougher for you when a younger, healthy cat is taken maybe years before their time. You have my best wishes, as after 4 rescue cats, I know exactly what you're going through. It does get easier, but you never forget them, as they are all different personalities.

To anyone who has lost a cat (or even dog), or are thinking about getting one, the rescue centres are full of animals, young and old. Consider giving them a second chance.

RIP Harry.

Last edited:
I am glad yours doesn't seem to mind but ours did. As much as dread the day he's hurt or killed outside, I have to remember his quality, not quantity of life.

I'm undecided as to whether keeping a cat indoors is cruelty . . . only 'cos I knows someone who had several outdoor cats before coming across one that just preferred staying indoors.

I remember my black Tom, he used to go walkabouts for days on end. One day a local chap with £1000's worth of Koi carp knocked on the door to moan & whinge (like I GAF) & the black Tom chose that very moment to appear in the yard with a massive Koi in his jaws :).

The things that really get me are declawing & any household with more than 4.

Some people like cats . . . but there are some people who just like owning cats. There is a BIG difference in the two.

I'm undecided as to whether keeping a cat indoors is cruelty . . . only 'cos I knows someone who had several outdoor cats before coming across one that just preferred staying indoors.

I remember my black Tom, he used to go walkabouts for days on end. One day a local chap with £1000's worth of Koi carp knocked on the door to moan & whinge (like I GAF) & the black Tom chose that very moment to appear in the yard with a massive Koi in his jaws :).

The things that really get me are declawing & any household with more than 4.

Some people like cats . . . but there are some people who just like owning cats. There is a BIG difference in the two.
Grins, I really liked Tom's timing with the Koi, ooops!! And I just think listen to the animal tbh. If the cat's instinct is so strong that to not go outside is detriment to it's mental health then that's cruel imo. And a lot of cat's I've known of over the years are happy to stay in their own garden.

Luckily declawing is illegal in this country, and in America they are waking up to how much pain a cat is left in for the rest of it's life. Slowly cat owners seem to be changing, despite it being legal there and recommended..

To anyone who has lost a cat (or even dog), or are thinking about getting one, the rescue centres are full of animals, young and old. Consider giving them a second chance.

RIP Harry.
Spot on.

Fukkit. Lets have a full blown celebration of 'cats' in general.

I'm a big 'rufty tufty' sort of chap & have lots of mates who are equally so. I remember one particularly big & rough fukker who finally found the woman of his dreams & cried on my shoulder about her apparent love of cats.

I explained to him that 'me & you' are just like cats. Silent but deadly, totally independant yet needy, "We are the HUNTERS & not the hunted".

I kid you not, probably the single most likely chap that would own a 'Staffy' ended up with a legend of a Tom cat.

Sorry to hear about the cat OP . Lost one of mine last year which was very up-setting . dunno what happened to him as when I found him he did not seem injured ??

I have a rescue cat ,that I got as a kitten . she never go's out or I have never seen her out side ? she can go out if she wants to ,but appears to choose to stay in ?

Guy in Norfolk has returned home to find his home ransacked by thieves and his few months old dog drowned in the bath.

Whilst unlikely I hope they catch the scum responsible.

Sponsored Links
Back