Chinese plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electric foot warmer sent to me from China.

It has a small flat 2 pin plug.

Does anyone know of an adapter please?

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Pair of cutters and a screwdriver and wire strippers to fit a UK plug.

Is your foot warmer 240v or perhaps 220v?

Uhmm, too many occurrences of these not having any safety measures/cuttoff and burning feet. So am worried that this will injure / kill you.

But if you are willing to risk your feet, cut off the old plug and put on one of these with a lower rated fuse (1A or 3A depending on just how thick the 'Chinese' wire actually is and will be a good time to see if there is an earth).

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-13a-fused-plug-white/5751h#_=p

Here is a video showing some of the risks of imported Chinese electrical items.
SFK

Last edited:
Thanks both

I am not able to do a plug which is why I asked for an adapter.

It is "good quality".

It says it is

AW-505
20W
50HZ
220V
GB4706 1-2005
GB4706 80-2014

The lead is small white plastic coated

Thanks for help

Sponsored Links
I see you are an importer of electrical products.

What responsibilities does an importer of electrical products have?

Thanks both

I am not able to do a plug which is why I asked for an adapter.

You need an electrician then. Adapters are generally poorly made with no conformity to UK or other specs.

Thanks both

It is "good quality".

It says it is

AW-505
20W
50HZ
220V
GB4706 1-2005
GB4706 80-2014

The lead is small white plastic coated

Thanks for help

Wrong voltage then. On UK 240v (or possibly more) it will become 23.8W.

Wrong voltage then. On UK 240v (or possibly more) it will become 23.8W.

The heating element is ( as confirmed by BigClive's videos ) a PTC ( Positive Temperature Co-efficient ) element,. this element will self regulate it's temperature and wattage over a wide range of voltages.

I am a 78 years old disabled pensioner with no use of my hands on my own and no-one to help.

There are no electricians or shops for miles.

Getting something for it on the internet is the only option for me.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Do a google,Ebay or Amazon search, you will find them on there.

The Chinese 2 pin plug is similar to the US type without the holes in the blades and the blades both the same size, i.e. unpolarised.

31PEP6dZSAL.jpg
There are adaptors USA to UK, I could not verify if fused so no link, however they still need fitting with a screwdriver, there are plug in adaptors, however to supply with a plug in adaptor is not permitted, it has to be fixed to sell in the UK.

So you can go abroad and buy some thing with non UK plug and then plug in adaptor, but you can't sell anything in UK with a plug in adaptor has to be type shown.

There are 100's of plugs used throughout the world, many of them made in China, there are also loads of internet sites showing pictures of these, step one is identify the plug.

Some
1513308123761446953.jpg
like one shown are darn dangerous as they have no fuse so full 32A can flow, others have 1A fuse normally marked shavers only which means limited to 200 watt which is well within what you need, others have standard 13A size fuse in them.

So if you got the foot warmer from a good supplier it would have some adaptor with it, so fact you don't have an adaptor with it means it's likely very poor quality.

31PEP6dZSAL.jpg
There are adaptors USA to UK, I could not verify if fused so no link
The one you picture looks like the powerconnections ACP which does appear to be fused and is available from reputable sources

https://www.powerconnections.co.uk/convert_usjapanchina.htm#acp
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/1411994/
https://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnections/acp-black-10a/usa-to-uk-plug-black-10a/dp/PL06744

Note though that an appliance shipped with a US style plug is very likely not compliant with EU standards.

There are plugs with flat pins, plugs where body is flat, so as it stands we have no idea what the plug is, clearly the supplier either does not know UK law or does not care about UK law or it would be supplied with UK plug.

So all we know is 20W 220V 2 pin and GB4706 1-2005 means the seller has bought the book in Chinese telling them the rules for export. Seems either book wrong or they have not read it.

If bought from internet easy option is include link to item bought.

However I am more concerned that a 78 year old disabled pensioner has been abandoned by social services and there is no one to help. In Wales the social services where able to arrange free of charge for my mother's door bell to be fixed, a new low kitchen installed for wheel chair use, a stair lift, an over head winch and many more items, all in her own house. So to have no one who can fit a new plug there is clearly something wrong with Surrey social services, and some one needs to give them a kick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back